poor asus website support

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nimo11

poor asus website support

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 am

tried to look on asus website support for memory and psu compatibility for the mobo i'm planning to buy.
only few psu models.
other components models on their list are far away from being updated.
i guess that for psu there shouldn't be a problem, so why specify at all parts of the models ?
i wrote then a question about the above.
let see what and when they'll answer.

Abula

Re: poor asus website support

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:09 am

PSU shouldn't be an issue, rarely there is an incompatibility, i yet to seen one in 20+ years of building, they probably do a list for PSU more because in the market there are a lot of bad PSU that dont deliver what they are rated or marketed, so by listing some PSU that they tested, they can certify they will work with their motherboards, that said, if you buy form reputable brands like Corsair, EVGA, Antec, Seasonic, Superflower, Enermax (just to mention a few, there are others), you should be fine, just make sure its ATX PSU with 80+ certification, preferable Gold or better.

Memory on the other hand is tricky, not all memory is made equal and the memory controller now a days is moved inside the CPU, but motherboard bios have playing into it, there is a lot of variables where the bios plays a role, if you check all motherboard manufactures you will see new bios revisions commonly have "updated memory compatibility", and usually the first few months they add a lot of revisions with memory in mind. It is impossible for a manufacturer to have all existing modules working on their motherboards, so thats why there is QVL List, weather you want to use it its up to you, i recommended it, but there is a big chance that most memory will work, just there is a slight chance that it wont, so i prefer to avoid this issues, specially trouble shooting a setup not starting or not being fully stable can be a pain, so using QVL List has work for me over the years, its up to you if you wish to use it, its not mandatory.

As a last comment, i dont recommend Asus specially if you want to use bios fan control, MSI and AsRock are better in my experience, now if you like Software fan control, then Asus to me its the best.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 am

nimo11 wrote:tried to look on asus website support for memory and psu compatibility for the mobo i'm planning to buy.
Which motherboard is this?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:21 am

i used the asus QVL List and found the ram i want to buy on that list.

the psu i want to use is seasonic prime ultra titanium.

what is the practical difference between "bios fan control" and "Software fan control" ?
since i'm planning to use the define c case which doesn't have build inn manual fan control i would like to have other options for that.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 am

lodestar wrote:
nimo11 wrote:tried to look on asus website support for memory and psu compatibility for the mobo i'm planning to buy.
Which motherboard is this?
right now due to some combination of parameters my plan is for TUF H370-PRO GAMING (WI-FI)ץ
but since buying this pc is not something that very argent to me i'll try to wait awhile and see what and when will develop with boards that have the new Z390 chip.

but from i saw here looks like it will no be very soon on the market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVL72CDWS2Y

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:38 am

I recently purchased their H370-F and was actually quite impressed with their two QVLs (RAM and Devices). Keep in mind QVLs in general are never comprehensive. Its impossible for a company, even one as enormous as Asus, to test or check every piece of hardware in the world. Still, QVLs are a good starting point. If the 1TB hard drive from brand X is on the list, its a very good bet that the 2TB will work fine. If a big 120mm CPU cooler is on the list, then you can look at its specs/dimensions and get a good idea if a similar one will fit, etc.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 am

i understand and agree, but still , beside ram which is sufficient, looks to me that other components are very not updated.

the reason you choose the F version is because it's more gaming features?

how is the bios fan speed control? is it convenient to use ?

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:57 am

nimo11 wrote:the reason you choose the F version is because it's more gaming features?
If you mean compared to the TUF H370-Pro, not really. I dont care about lights etc. I went with the F because it has (anecdotally) better VRM section, higher spec audio chip, and I dont use WiFi at all anyway.

As far as fan header the TUF has CPU, CHA1, and CHA1 (AIO header is full speed only). The F adds one more controllable header (called M.2) and a second CPU header (which is really just a splitter from the CPU1 header, but convenient for a push-pull setup) plus option for three more via a daughter card (though I have yet to find anyone selling it).
how is the bios fan speed control? is it convenient to use ?
Its ok. There are two levels in the BIOS:
- On the EZ Q-Fan screen you only have the speed curve (visual/graph form) and PWM/DC for each fan.
- On the Advanced\Monitor\Qfan section you have an overwhelming number of settings: source sensor, step up/down times, low limit, and three temp/speed index points (equivalent to the graph). You can do an auto tuning here where it will attempt to detect the minimum speeds etc.

Note that you only have two temps which can be monitored (unless you buy an asus gpu): CPU and "mainboard" (which is really just a sensor in the Nuvoton chip). The F at least has an option of using an external sensor (plus three more if I can ever find that daughter card).
Last edited by BrianF on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:05 am

sorry about my ignorance .
what is the meaning for a user of better "better VRM section"?

about the audio chip i had some dilemma since the tuf has lower chip.
i maybe planning to use wifi so my dilemma is buying the tuf pro and then get an dedicated audio card , or buying a mobo with better audio chip and then getting a wifi card.

also couldn't understand this:
"The F adds one more controllable header (called M.2) and a second CPU header (which is really just a splitter from the CPU1 header, but convenient for a push-pull setup) plus option for three more via a daughter card"
can you explain in a more simple way so i fan see if any of those is important to me?

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

nimo11 wrote:what is the meaning for a user of better "better VRM section"?
The power components surrounding, and feeding the CPU. The F has more phases (double the chokes and Mosfets) which, in theory, means they will each not work as hard/get as hot and thus (maybe) last longer, but like I said that is anecdotal. You cant overclock anyway with an H board so its more of a "feel good" thing.
about the audio chip i had some dilemma since the tuf has lower chip. i maybe planning to use wifi so my dilemma is buying the tuf pro and then get an dedicated audio card , or buying a mobo with better audio chip and then getting a wifi card.
I would think that a decent WiFi card would be less expensive than an audio card equal or better than then AC1220.
"The F adds one more controllable header (called M.2) and a second CPU header (which is really just a splitter from the CPU1 header, but convenient for a push-pull setup) plus option for three more via a daughter card" can you explain in a more simple way so i fan see if any of those is important to me?
Simply, compared to the TUF board, the F has:
- One additional case fan connector ("M.2")
- A second CPU fan connector (which will always run at the same speed as the first CPU fan connector).
- A special connector for an optional board from Asus which would give you 3 MORE fan connectors.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am

o.k thank you.
about the separate wifi card i have to check it's quality compare to the one that on the mobo which i understand have kind of potential double/wider range on the new b/h370.
also the Bluetooth can be something i'll use.

sure that the audio card will be more expansive but a god one might give better quality then the one on-board.

i don't think i'll add more fans considering my uses on the p.c.

the better VRM sounds like something to think about.
how can i check this info about some mobo?

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am

nimo11 wrote:the better VRM sounds like something to think about. how can i check this info about some mobo?
Very hard to check since manufacturers do NOT provide solid information and very few reviewers take the time to enumerate and examine those components (probably because very few people are interested or would take the time to interpret the findings properly).

But with a little searching....

On the TUF H370-Pro we can see there are likely 4 phases for the CPU, each with one 4C10B and one 4C06B MOSFET. The other two phases would be for the Intel GPU.

Compare that to the H370-F where we have 8 phases for the CPU, each with the same 4C10B and 4C06B pairing, plus the same 2 phases for the Intel GPU (note that one of the phases is on the other side of the socket and not visible in these photos).

All else being equal this means the F board should be able to deliver more and/or more stable and responsive power. How relevant that is on an H chipset is debatable but like I said if feels good knowing the VRM section is "overbuilt". :)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:08 pm

thank you.
very interesting.
same signs for this subject are on other mobo's brands beside ASUS ?