x570 - unplugging the chipset fan

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

x570 - unplugging the chipset fan

Post by Wedge » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Greetings all!

I'm trying to pick a motherboard for an x570 build. I've studied images of the MSI boards and noticed that the chipset fans can be easily unplugged. I would ensure that a larger, lower RPM blows down on the chipset heatsink.

My question: does the MSI board sound an alarm when this fan is unplugged? Can this alarm be turned off via software, or will the PC simply not boot up?

Have any of you tried this with an x570 chipset board of any brand?

Wedge

Re: x570 - unplugging the chipset fan

Post by Wedge » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Update:

For those that may be interested, I came across this thread in another forum where, a few posts into it, this precise topic is discussed. It has been executed successfully, and some have DIY solutions with pics:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/as ... e.2577565/

Additionally, this thread confirmed something else I wanted to know, which is have any other users accessed the fan plugs of motherboards that are not MSI (the only brand I have seen where the plug is readily visible).

I mentioned MSI in my original post only because the plug to the fan is clearly visible in product images; whereas, I do not see them in images of other motherboards. But the link above confirms that one can do this with other brands without damage to the product. Granted, you void warranties when you go this route. However, this is SPCR, i.e., some members will find that it is worth voiding the warranty.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Also, worth noting:

My research reveals that only MSI and Gigabyte offer BIOS fan controls that can actually shut the chipset fan off for silent operation, when temps allow it.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 pm

a little off topic...B550 boards are out. Have you considered whether or not they meet your needs? More opportunities for passive chipsets, cheaper.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 pm

I don't upgrade very often, but when I do, I prefer top go with the fastest and most feature rich chipset available. Does the B550 support PCI Express 4.0?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 am

This might help
https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/b550

Motherboard chipset doesn't have PCIe4.0 lanes, but you get 20 lanes from a gen 3 CPU.

Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 am

If the load on the computer is not high, then it is quite possible to work with the cooler turned off. But if the load is too high, the computer will overheat. The cooling system should still work, even if there is a slight noise from the computer. By the way, on a perfectly flat and stable surface, the noise is quieter, there is less vibration. This is corny, but true.