suggestion for full desktop system

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Japanese Capacitor

Re: suggestion for full desktop system

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:57 am

These video connectors on external panel of boards are extactly for CPUs with integrated graphics, which AMD doesn't have many in offer. Lack of integrated GPU generally sucks - your card dies or there's any problem with it (need to RMA it = some time without GPU), so you need to get new one to just be able to use computer. So treat it like having some spare GPU in case of such situation is just a must - especially that times like now, when cards availability and prices of even garbage are all over the place and such times will keep coming back as there're crypto currencies using GPU to mine them.

Until you don't overclock, ram choice just doesn't matter. They differ mainly with oveclocking potential, so don't worry about things like reliablity. If you interested about my latest personal experience, I have now HX432C16PB3K2/32 and in previous config I had F4-3200C16D-8GVKB and no problems. I generally recommend to go with just low profile ones, especially if you don't overclock and in case of not needing or needing less calulations with big coolers. I choose these two sets, because they had then nicest, reasonable for my config and expectations parameters compared to their discounted prices. Generally one problem which can occur is ram doesn't want to load XMP profile (the one it's advertised with like your Furys has two - 3200, CL16 and 3000, CL15). That's why producers has something as QVL list on motheboard's site - modules tested with given motherboard by producers, so 100% sure XMP will load. But these are not only ones working correctly - they can't test them all! It's way harder than easier to hit some problematic ones, so just check QVL, search for opinions of people, who mixed this ram with this board or ask guys from Plotner or any pc builders, if they haven't encountered any problems with B550 Aorus and Furys.

It looks like we managed to complete your build :D If I were you I would also think about some good peripherals as mouse and keyboard, especially if you still have as prehistoric ones as computer from your photos. They can ofc be good, as I personally use keyboard from 2005 (but bought like ten years later ;) ) and wouldn't change it for anything, but maybe it's newest interation. Quiet, quality computer is a good start, but also comfort of using it, which comes from anything else. Have you ever felt even a little some hand pain after longer sessions next to computer? So it's time to trash the cause of it. For more than twenty years I use only Microsoft's ergonomic keyboards with my personal computers - for like five already secound, but not in row, unit of Nautural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1. I just don't know, how it is to feel some wrist pain after hours of typing. The same with mouse - bought with current keyboard Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless. The first mouse, which have never tired my hand even a little. Good computer setup keeps equal level - you don't put 1000$ card to 20$ case the same as you don't buy ergonomic keyboard and sit on plastic garden chair.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:50 am

Hey, don't diss my garden chair.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:08 am

I'm sure that you have some amazing one, so not similar to the ones I was talking about :>

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:57 am

yes , we complete the set.
and again and again thanks for all the help.
this is the list:
cpu- amd ryzen 7 5800x
mobo- gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX (rev. 1.0)
2x16 ddr4 3200mhz ram ( will make some check on QVL list).
cooling- be quiet dark rock pro 4
GB 500 SSD PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 - 980 PRO Series Samsung
psu- Corsair -
750W 80 PLUS® Gold RMx Series™ RM750x V2 - Black — Fully Modular
case - fractal design define 7

i have a German mechanical key board around 20 years.
all others i tried over the time were les comfortable. but recently one or two of the keys make some issues, so i am planning to buy new one.
concentrate on mechanical .
i bought around 1.5 year ago Microsoft Bluetooth 3600 mouse.
but it started to make problems .
right now i use wired Logitech.
but i need to buy wireless one .
what kind of mouse do you use?
Bluetooth, regular wireless. laser?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:47 am

I still don't like 5800X and regular Define 7 (if it happened that this pc would never have serious, monster GPU + check the size, because this case is way bigger, especially longer, than it looks on Fractal's photos), but have it your way ;) Beside of that, it will be nice computer in terms of everything :]

Don't let this damn QVL dicrease you ram choice and e.g. force you to buy more expensive or worse. Guys from Plonter will build your computer, right? In Poland it's normal, that anybody who builds computers (big stores or just small pc builders), check everything with diagnostic tools and stress testing, so they will rather check also XMP (or how it's called in AMD universe). You can also give them such order, but check first, how XMP is named in AMD's nomenclature to not make such hardware faux pas...

I'm not a fan of mechanical keyboards, but admit that have never tried. But I tried hard to find some opinions justifying, why ,,they are better", but all I found is they are nice, cute and customizable. It seems to me they are something just awesome and that's it like Zippo lighters, which suck hardest from every way to light and I say it as somebody, who used such few years and was passionate about using and tweaking with it's maintenance. I know there're exceptions like ones with customizable force of push of the keys, so working in games similarly to joystick, but most of them are nothing more like keyboard, where you can replace the keys with others (some nice or cute) and they tend to be damn noisy - especially with popular Cherry Red.

I told you exactly what mouse I use ;) This mouse is wireless, but has a cable in case of refilling the juice (no need to buy batteries, no adding weight with them). It works nicely, because cable is plugged to mobo's back panel and has adapter on the secound end. When you go wired, you just unplug adapter and plug the mouse. Cable is executed the best I've experienced - the difference between wireless and wired is that noticeable, that it happens to me to use it wired for few days after refilling. I use this mouse for like five, maybe six years and it still works and looks the same and is good and advanced enough to not give me any reason to change. It's just Logitech: no nonsense, premium, but worth it due to quality and ergonomics brand.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:12 am

i checked the dimensions of fractal 7.
it almost of the same of my current case.
even the height is a bit lower
i like big case with extra room inside.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:39 am

But few posts ago you liked more size of Define 7 Compact :D

Tell me, what idiot you found claims, that this case has low airflow? Because for me it's just shocking, that case reviewer can categorize cases as low or high airflow, becasue there's not a border like that for simple reason - for any configuration this border is completely somewhere else and your configuration is just potato: strong CPU with overkill cooler and young timer passive card, so closer to office computers than builds with serious, power hungry always like 1000$ cards.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:54 pm

i read several reviews, and all of them praised the 7 like one of the best cases from all factors.
so since the price difference is not so big, and i don't have problem with a bigger case, i decided for this one.
it can be also a potential case for future upgrading.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:54 pm

I just asked you about this review from curiosity, because I red a lot of them and just don't remember anybody complaining about ventilation. Even then I just see the procedure and scores, so can have my own thoughts. Both Compact and regular 7 don't aim for low temperatures and regular is like at best four degrees better than Compact during heavy stress tests, so divide such difference with two to get difference in real life. Regular just have one fan more and lower few degrees drop is usual difference after adding third fan. Bigger size makes some difference mostly when it already cooks, so it would cook a little less.

If you seriously think about future upgrades (keep your kids away from pc gaming - really!) it's fine, because that's why I bought myself regular one as I know, how sizes of CPU and GPU cooler tend to increase and know why people still sit on their R3;4;5 - they still have much space to fill and no serious reason to upgrade due to no progress on case market. Even in Define series imo nothing noticeable in daily usage to justify uprading to newer interation. There are GPUs you can't install into Define C without moving fron fan up or down, newer and a little longer Compact does fine yet. But if you buy bigger in case of fear of your components would cook in Compact, know it's plain stupid - they will cook just maybe three degrees less in regular 7 ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:48 am

I'll take it in mind.
btw, with my antec p182 i disabled the third fan.( of course with checking the temperatures and dont have any problems. i use hw monitor for this).
i believe/hope that i can do the same in the fractal 7?
probably 5800x will run hotter that my i3, but i will follow it.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:14 am

There probably won't be a need to disable any fans in Define 7. I was able to slow down these fans to just inaudible levels. I said probably, because how low you can slow them down depends on the motherboard and afaik there's no way to check it than just trying it. Like I said before, these fans are 3-pin fans and such are less likely to reach lower speeds than 4-pin fans. My mobo is awesome in slowing down 3-pin fans, we will see, how is yours. If you won't be satisfied with them, earlier I recommended you fans better in every aspect plus also being 4-pin.

Until you start playing games, CPU intensive software or stess tests, you won't notice that 5800X is hot running chip. That CPU just sucks in terms of temperatures and you wouldn't do much with anything like buying even a little stronger D15 or beefy AiO. Generally just get used to it and don't worry. Caring that much about temperatures of components comes from lack of knowledge about them. Components before ,,starting to kill itself with temperatures" use various securities as e.g. gradually, delicately lowering their performance to cool itself down without you noticing. You have to just want to cook something, really.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:19 am

o.k i will start than then will see.
i am open to change case fans, but after i'll see how it works with stock.
i am still did not decide about ram.
can you help me a bit with that ?
i read in some place not the best review on the 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury Series - HX432C16FB4K2/32.
Corsair Vengeance is one of the recommended in several reviews.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:41 am

Yeah, my general advice is, always try first stock fans, if you wouldn't be afraid to change them (there exist people, who are afraid of just touching anything inside the case). My advice for you is, if you will be able to slow them down to inaudible levels, with discussed configration and use there is no point of changing them for better - for now you won't need stronger or more fans and you won't need quiter fans, if stock ones are able to stay inaudible.

Ofc I can help you with ram. I don't see anything bad with these Furys and they even used to be reasonably priced compared to what they represent. Can you link me this review or tell, what's wrong with them? Or why Corsair Vengeance are better for you? I assume that both sets have just the same parameters, so 3200 MHz and the same CL in every row, not only first (like CL 16-18-18-38), but to be honest even these rows don't matter and serve mostly your satisfaction from not paying more or the same for ones with worse numbers.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:42 am

thank you.
i'm not afraid doing things by myself i my pc.
as a meter of fact i did lot of it during the years.
the only thing i did not touch is assemble the board and cpu, which i'm sure that if I'll read or watch video I'll learn how to do it.
but they have the instrument to check everything and it's also give me the warranty.
actually i did not read bad things about the fury , but on several places very good recommendations on the corsair Vengeance.
like here
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram,4057.html
and here
https://www.trustedreviews.com/best/bes ... am-3504261
unfortunately plonter does not carry the 3200 kit.
after checking few stores i decided to buy it from them.
i can get those ram from other place but i'm afraid that if something will go wrong each of them will send me to deal with the the other.
so i prefer to buy it from one place

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 am

Man, last post you told me:
nimo11 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:19 am
i read in some place not the best review on the 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury Series - HX432C16FB4K2/32.
And now it's like this:
nimo11 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:42 am
actually i did not read bad things about the fury , but on several places very good recommendations on the corsair Vengeance.
So wtf?!

These modules are just comparable and I advice them both, but Vengeance use to be a little more expensive than Furys with comparable parameters (justified with nothing Corsair tax). If we assume that any sets have the same parameters (MHz and CL rows), they can differ just in overclocking potential. In terms of that both sets are comparable and Furys are more likely to win by small margin. Vengeance look great on paper with having most praised B-Die something (I don't know, how it is in english), which matters only for overclocking. The thing is, Corsair's B-Die's are shitty BCRC instead of beloved BCPB, don't even come close to them and don't really make a difference compared to random shit found in other sets. And there's a slogan of one of the 90's polish washing powder: ,,You can't see the difference? So why to overspend?" Really damn clever...

So which one you finally chose? The one I advised or what? I don't know, how will look your agreement with Plonter, but generally you deal with somebody you bought it from. Maybe you choose the parts from other shops, but they will treat it as prebuilt system, which are treated as one thing and so is treated the warranty. So if you don't like GPU or one case fan is faulty, you theoretically return whole computer and RMA whole computer.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:37 am

yes, the bad review of the fury was my mistake.
so bottom line you don't see any advantage of the Vengeance over the fury , when both are 3200 cl 16?
sometime i hear people say , if something was build for better o.c , it will stronger and more reliable also for regular use.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:40 am

sometime i hear people say , if something was build for better o.c , it will be stronger and more reliable also for regular use.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:12 am

If they have exactly the same parameters I mentioned, I would choose cheaper ones. If not, you can send me the links and I see for myself or you can just send me the links and have it off your shoulder (you can add prices, if you want me to suggest with them, because there were some problems with me not seeing the prices on some website).

I see it more like, if something was build for better oc, it will better oc. You never know with quality as most of the products don't justify their prices and suck compared to something priced the same and generally pc components are too complicated to reviews cover everything. Add to this, ram is one of the last things you should worry about in terms of reliability.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:28 am

i hope it's not too much to ask ,but do you agree to do it this way?
give me your most recommended, one or two, 3200 2x16 kit, and i will look availability.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:41 am

Fury and Vengeance LPX. So buy whatever you want or just give me the links or codes and I'll decide.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:46 am

that is what they have in plonter 2x16 3200 mgh

AX4U3200716G16A-CTG20x2 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 CL16-20-20 DIMM - 1.35V - Tungsten Grey - XPG GAMMIX D20
X4U3200716G16A-SR30x2 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 PC4-25600 CL16-20-20 DIMM - 1.35V - Red - XPG GAMMIX D30 - Retail
AX4U3200316G16A-DR41 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 PC4-25600 CL16-20-20 DIMM - 1.35V - Red - XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB
BL2K16G36C16U4B - 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 CL16-18-18 1.35v - Ballistix Series
GASB416GB3600C18BSCx2 - 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600Mhz - CL18 - 1.35V - Low Profile - EVO Spear Series
AX4U3200316G16-SR41x2 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 PC4-25600 CL16-18-18 DIMM - 1.35V - Red - XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB
HX432C16FB4AK2-32 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury RGB Series - HX432C16FB4AK2/32
HX432C16FB4K2-32 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury Series - HX432C16FB4K2/32
AX4U3200716G16A-SW50x2 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 CL16-20-20 DIMM - RGB - 1.35V - White - XPG SPECTRIX D50
GAEXSY432GB3200C16ADC - 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz - RGB - CL16 - 1.35V - EVO X II Series
XPG - AX4U3200716G16A-ST50x2 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 CL16-20-20 DIMM - RGB - 1.35V - Black - XPG SPECTRIX D50
HX432C16PB3K2-32 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP HyperX Predator - HX432C16PB3K2/32
HX432C16PB3AK2-32 - 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM XMP HyperX Predator RGB - HX432C16PB3AK2/32
HX432C16FB4K2-32 - HyperX 2GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury Series - HX432C16FB4K2/32 ₪984/964

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Isn't it the same list you put here few posts ago? I told you then, which one to choose. If there are some new additions, type them in next post.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:22 pm

that's what they have in plonter from those spec on their site.
but they can get additional things from suppliers.
so if you don't have any specific recommendation i will go for what they suggested - HyperX 2GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35v - Fury Series - HX432C16FB4K2/32