Coil whine from VDSL connection

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
eclipsevv

Coil whine from VDSL connection

Post by eclipsevv » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:48 pm

A few days ago, my system developed a very annoying, high frequency constant coil whine. I assumed it was the PSU in my PC and began investigating... but found out it was not the PSU at all.

The whine was coming from my VDSL router. I assumed it was the power supply... wrong again, the whine is present only when the VDSL cable is connected, even with zero traffic going through. As soon as I disconnect the cable, the whine totally disappears.

I decided to RMA the router (including its power supply), but the new one has an identical behaviour: it whines only when the VDSL cable is connected. I remember I had an old slower router in storage (on my desk for years without any noise whatsoever)... same thing, coil whine when connected.

Any idea? The only possible thing is somewhat changed on the ISP side and is causing the whine, but I have no clue on how to proceed. The router is on my desk and it would be difficult to relocate since the VDSL line is delivered there.

teodoro

Re: Coil whine from VDSL connection

Post by teodoro » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am

Did you try a different cable? I have no reason to believe that would help, but it might be worth a shot