Linkwitz Orion speaker project

Chat room for MikeC's Audio Craft, music & sound reproduction, streaming, audio PC, etc.
Quinnbeast

Re: Linkwitz Orion speaker project

Post by Quinnbeast » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Oooh, nice. They remind of some Rega speakers I looked at a few years ago - possibly the RS7s. They have side-firing woofers, which can be used both outward and inward facing depending on preference and room acoustics. Looks like they're staying with the same basic concept through the current RX range too.

http://www.rega.co.uk/rx5-loudspeakers.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--uh61x9Ms_0/U ... Rega+3.jpg

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:57 pm

I remember finding Linkwitz site and immersing myself in his writing, and the speaker designs. In the end I chose another route, still dipole, still with active crossover and multiple amplifiers. It would be great to hear a pair of Orions one day. Mike, I'm curious how much time and money it took to bring your project to fruition? Oh, and a thought, that big screen TV sitting on the side of the speaker won't that lead to unwanted reflections?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Gadgety wrote:I remember finding Linkwitz site and immersing myself in his writing, and the speaker designs. In the end I chose another route, still dipole, still with active crossover and multiple amplifiers. It would be great to hear a pair of Orions one day. Mike, I'm curious how much time and money it took to bring your project to fruition? Oh, and a thought, that big screen TV sitting on the side of the speaker won't that lead to unwanted reflections?
So what speakers did you go with?

Time -- the speakers took 5 weeks to build. With many tools new to me. That was almost 2 years ago. If I built a pair today, I'm guessing I could do it in half the time, maybe less. I understand routers a LOT better than I did then.
$$ -- around $2000 for the drivers, but they were bought all the way back in 2007. More today. $200 for the wood, $800 for the prebuilt active xover from Linkwitz, about the same for the Rotel amp, and probably $200 for cables, connectors, other supplies. Total: ~$4,000. I think Linkwitz stopped selling completely finished speakers with xover & amp now that the 521 has replaced the Orions, but his friends/partners used to sell them for $14~15,000.

TV -- yeah, maybe. I tried throwing a big thick down comforter & a heavy blanket over it and it really didn't make that much difference.