New sub forum "Silent Living" ?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

WARDOZER9

New sub forum "Silent Living" ?

Post by WARDOZER9 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Anyone ever given any thought to a "Silent Living" type sub forum to discuss quiet/silent versions of household products from AC units to microwaves and refrigerators? They all make noise and sometimes I actually wonder, what one is the quietest because what good is a dead silent PC when your house is noisy?

edh

Re: New sub forum "Silent Living" ?

Post by edh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 am

There is the silent front forum which more or less covers this.

In terms of household appliances there is (in the EU at least) very regimented testing of many types of household appliances and SPL measurements have to be given for things like fridges. They have to display this dB reading on the appliance when it is sold in a shop or online in the EU.

As for air conditioning - avoid having it. Houses can be designed to avoid excessive heat gain in hot weather and if you do live in part of the world that does get hot, get used to it. Air conditioning is inherently inefficient.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 am

WARDOZER9 -- Go ahead and start your query/discussion in the Silent Front, which is meant to be what edh suggested, a kind of catch-all for all things related to noise/silence.

Unlike the EU, the US (and Canada) are way behind in acoustic regulations/reporting, though there seems to be some effort, but it's not consistent across the appliances. Range fans, for example, all have acoustic ratings, but not fridges or stoves -- the latter can be surprisingly noisy.

I have lots of stories, experiences & insights to share regarding home appliances & machinery -- fridges, freezers, stoves, fans....

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Maybe we could also have a "Future Outlook" thread where forum members post links to articles they've seen about new discoveries/technologies that have the potential to be applied to all manner of noise-producing devices that exist in the home and elsewhere. I see such articles from time to time but I don't catalog them so they get lost in the vast, swirling whirlpool of memory. If many people contributed to a list in one place it could be a great resource for someone thinking creatively or entrepreneurially.