WTB: 3-pin fan to 3-pin extension wire for a fan

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ender17

WTB: 3-pin fan to 3-pin extension wire for a fan

Post by Ender17 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:48 pm

I just need a simple 3-pin fan to 3-pin extension wire for a fan, I can't find anywhere to buy this for under $6 shipped and I think that's ridiculous for something that costs about $0.10.
12" should be long enough, but if you have 24" I'll take it.
This is what I'm talking about http://www.svc.com/123to3ex.html

If anyone wants to help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:39 pm

if you have the know-how, you can always make your own.

take a dead motherboard, solder off fan headers, get a fan from the dump, hop over to your local electronics store (like radio shack) and get shrink wrap and wire, and just get the other connector off a dead fan.

i will say though, the male end of all cables like that becomes very fragile, you will want to use a dab of either hot glue or epoxy on the base (not where you plug the fan in, but where the solder is) to make sure that the solder joints do not get pulled off (unless your some beastly soldering machine that makes truly permanent connections).

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:17 pm

bonestonne wrote:if you have the know-how, you can always make your own.

take a dead motherboard, solder off fan headers, get a fan from the dump, hop over to your local electronics store (like radio shack) and get shrink wrap and wire, and just get the other connector off a dead fan.

i will say though, the male end of all cables like that becomes very fragile, you will want to use a dab of either hot glue or epoxy on the base (not where you plug the fan in, but where the solder is) to make sure that the solder joints do not get pulled off (unless your some beastly soldering machine that makes truly permanent connections).
no way I would spend that amount of time
anyway, I found them at Petra's Tech Shop for under $1.25 with $1.57 shipping
picked up some Enzotech Mosfets and a 3 pin splitter cable all for only $13.76
Petra's Tech Shop rules

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:51 pm

You can always just splice in some extra wire in between the fan and its connector. Doesn't really matter what kind.