Samsung SLC SSD's are Cheap at Geeks--64GB now OOS

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Samsung SLC SSD's are Cheap at Geeks--64GB now OOS

Post by hmsrolst » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Last edited by hmsrolst on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:10 pm

AMAZING deal on the 64gb one. Use XPBARGAINS coupon code for an extra 10% off, too! Thanks for posting...

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

only a 1 year warranty though versus 2 and 3 year warranties on other drives:

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D SSD 2 year warranty.

Intel X25-E, X25-M, and X18-M SSDs 3 year warranty

OCZ Solid Series SSD 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series V2 2 year warranty
OCZ Core Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Apex Series 2 year warranty
OCZ Vertex Series 2 year warranty

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:56 pm

This is very nice. I did the 10% off code and also used Live Cashback for another 4.10%. Thanks for posting this!

annihilus

Post by annihilus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:54 am

Well I just got scammed by them. Ordered 12 32gb slc samsungs, payed with my creditcard. After taking my money they just cancelled my order and now they want me wire them the money again so they can scam me double :evil: They're just a bunch of pirats luring people with good deals.

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 pm

annihilus wrote:Well I just got scammed by them. Ordered 12 32gb slc samsungs, payed with my creditcard. After taking my money they just cancelled my order and now they want me wire them the money again so they can scam me double :evil: They're just a bunch of pirats luring people with good deals.
Although I sympathize with your problem, you might want to contact them to try to sort it out. I've purchased from them before and found them to be reliable. Based on my experience, I don't think it's a scam.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah, I think that geeks.com is a pretty reliable site. This might have something to do with international ordering.

annihilus

Post by annihilus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Looks like I got through to them and they are working on it to try and resolve it. :D I hope it is not going to take forever :roll: Still I am relieved for now

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:28 pm

I got my drive, it is working very well. I'm running it in my laptop right now.

annihilus

Post by annihilus » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:51 am

I think I jumped the gun by using the word scammed. I completed the payment on their website with my creditcard i.e. I payed for my order. My creditcard company authorised the transaction. The thing that got me mad is that is that they didn't care for the fact that the transaction on my side had already been completed and I got some story about privacy laws and high dollar amount so they wanted a wire transfer. They never cared for the fact that I already payed and my money is in limbo and I would have to go through a long and time consuming process to get it back.

If they do international business and allow creditcard transactions they should have their act together. If they are scared of fraude then imposing transaction limits or not dealing internationally would be the thing to do. I have contacted my creditcard company and they told me they have never heared of the reasons given by geeks. My card is good and frankly they laughed at the "high dollar" amount.

Well, while I'm writing this message I received an email from them. They insist on a wire transfer. I am going to report them to ic3, they got my money and I got nothing. :evil:

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:05 am

Did they CHARGE your credit card, though? Most legit companies don't charge the credit card until (or right before) they ship out products.

And I don't mean to strongly defend them or anything, but I can see how buying 12 reasonably pricey items to ship internationally might raise their eyebrows. They might be afraid enough of international credit cards (or inexperienced with them) to worry about the payment soon being canceled or not going through.

annihilus

Post by annihilus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Want to let you know that geeks shipped my ssd's ... finally :P

Cov

Post by Cov » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Hmm, Samsung Enterprise SSD MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA 64GB 2.5" SATA/300 SLC Solid State Drive

Interesting.

Are these SSD drives good ?

I'm lurking like desperate to get one. Was waiting for the new SanDisk 3G to come out in the next few months.
I live in Germany, do you think I can order from them too ? Would they deliver to me ?

I know the prices are OTT currently but that's a bargain, right ?
I don't mind too much my first SSD, and 64GB seems ok for OS and some important programs.

Please, if anyone has this model already, could you let me know ?

Thanks.

Cov

Post by Cov » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Oh, now I noticed something ...

... what a pitty ! :(

PS: I have put my email address on the notifications list for now.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Cov wrote:Please, if anyone has this model already, could you let me know ?
This drive is awesome. I'm running it with Vista 64-bit and it is very smooth and fast. I highly recommend.

Cov

Post by Cov » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:39 am

In a different forum, people said the Samsung SSD (SLC) was a good drive for laptops but isn't fast enough for desktops.

Most people recommend Intel's SSD drives.

Someone gave me this link to read ...
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 am

Cov wrote:Hmm, Samsung Enterprise SSD MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA 64GB 2.5" SATA/300 SLC Solid State Drive

Interesting.

Are these SSD drives good ? Please, if anyone has this model already, could you let me know ?
Picked up a 32gb and a 64gb model whil;e I was in San Francisco last week -- for the SPCR lab, total price $350 shipped. Did some quick benchmarks on them. Avg read 145mb/s. under 0.1ms access speed. No significant differences between the 32gb and 64gb versions.

The 32gb SSD is now running a silent 0 dB system (w/ Silverstone fanless PSU and no fan on the massive Scythe Orochi heatsink) n the anechoic chamber, and it feels extremely fast -- the CPU is only a lowly Sempron at 1.3 GHz. No stuttering encountered.

The same system was running on an Intel x25m 80gb ssd. There's really no appreciable difference in performance I can describe in any rountine activities. If I ran some timed comparisons, I'm sure the Intel would measure faster, but in actual use, the difference just isn't there.

Cov

Post by Cov » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am

Hmm, Interesting.

By the way, heard anything new regarding the new generation of Sandisk's SSDs called C25-G3 ?
Apparently the G3 family is supposed to introduce mature SSD technology but "reasonable" priced.

rjm

Post by rjm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah, the next set of SSDs from Samsung are MLC but considerably faster (~200MB/s). These SLC drives are about to be obsoleted hence the blowout pricing.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm

SLC drives aren't really going to be obsoleted, but they probably will be left for the server market. The better MLC drives are more than good enough for consumer use.

Don't get hung up on speed, though. Those huge sequential transfer rates come at the cost of the 'stuttering' problems sometimes reported with SSDs. Basically, any MLC drive using a JMicron controller is unusable unless it's for a server or media center, or some other system you won't be interacting with in any great depth. The only MLC drives currently worth buying, I believe, are the OCZ Vertex and the Intel X-25M. Any SLC drive is a fine choice.

If you want a really interesting, in-depth article on the subject, take a look at the recent AnandTech SSD review here: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3531

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am

tehcrazybob wrote:SLC drives aren't really going to be obsoleted, but they probably will be left for the server market. The better MLC drives are more than good enough for consumer use.

Don't get hung up on speed, though. Those huge sequential transfer rates come at the cost of the 'stuttering' problems sometimes reported with SSDs. Basically, any MLC drive using a JMicron controller is unusable unless it's for a server or media center, or some other system you won't be interacting with in any great depth. The only MLC drives currently worth buying, I believe, are the OCZ Vertex and the Intel X-25M. Any SLC drive is a fine choice.

If you want a really interesting, in-depth article on the subject, take a look at the recent AnandTech SSD review here: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3531
But Samsung doesn't use JMicron controllers.... They use Samsung controllers. :)
Last edited by shleepy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cov

Post by Cov » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:57 am

tehcrazybob wrote:... Don't get hung up on speed, though.
Yeah, that's what MikeC. meant as well by saying:
There's really no appreciable difference in performance I can describe in any rountine activities. If I ran some timed comparisons, I'm sure the Intel would measure faster, but in actual use, the difference just isn't there.
Have checked just now for the latest prices (16.04.09):

1. OCZ Vertex 60GB = from 200 Euro
2. Intel X25-M 80GB = from 360 Euro
3. Samsung MLC 64GB = from 160 Euro

...of course, these prices still make me faint. Look at the low capacities.

Well, I will research around some more, but the 60GB Vertex SSDs seem to be an acceptable compromise between cost and performance.
What about the disasterous failures of the entry SSDs from OCZ I heard of ?
Have they ironed them out by now ?

There is still absolutely nothing on the whole WWW to see about the announced SankDisk G3 SSDs. Have they fallen asleep ?
Basically, any MLC drive using JMicron controller is unusable ...
So I heard that the SSD controller is crucial for the SSDs performance.
Having read the AnandTech article, I understand for why the write speed is so much slower than the read speed.
If we used an SSD for writing data once and then reading only (like from a DVD drive), we wouldn't get any problems.
The way how SSDs save data is so ridiculous complicated, that I really hope that they will come up with some better solution than that, in the future.

C'mon, you don't want to tell me, that one of the biggest changes in computer history (shifting from HDDs to SSDs) will be messed up by such an incredible foolish mistake ?

I was so excited to embrace the SSD technology, but that fire has well been distinguished by this article.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Cov: I can see how that article might make you think twice about SSDs, but there's some serious performance to be gained there. Some of the issues are totally unavoidable and will happen with any SSD (like the erasing pages to write files), but most of those things are transparent and won't even be noticed by most users. The only real issue cheap SSDs have had lately is the stalling during random writes, and that's an issue which only seems to affect JMicron-controlled drives.

Basically, you want an SSD. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages, especially for silent-computing enthusiasts. You just have to be careful what you buy - get an OCZ Vertex, an Intel X-25M, or any SLC drive. If you can't afford one of those options, think about getting a nice 2.5" hard drive instead, because you're likely to be disappointed with the performance of any other SSD.
shleepy wrote:But Samsung [doesn't] use JMicron controllers.... They use Samsung controllers. :)
And the Samsung drive in question is an SLC drive, so there's no problem anyway, and it's actually not relevant to this thread. I only brought it up because people had started comparing to other drives.