MiniITX Motherboard Trays

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joemadeus

MiniITX Motherboard Trays

Post by joemadeus » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:36 am

I had some MiniITX motherboard trays machined for a scratch build I was doing for myself. Unfortunately (or fortunately, who knows) I had to order a minimum of five to get the costs down. I know some people are/were in the same predicament I was in: you need to mount the motherboard, but figuring out where the IO window and PCI IO window goes is a bit of a pain in the ass. Hopefully these spares will help at least four other people ;)

The auction is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0592420422

The trays are designed to work with MiniITX compliant boards only. I think Jetway has boards, for instance, that won't work because that company is off doing proprietary things. Then again, I could be wrong: I was working on an Intel system, and haven't checked the mechanical drawings for the other boards.

In any case, I'd love to hear feedback about the trays, specifically if they'd be helpful and if any improvements could be made.

Thanks!

-j

ces

Re: MiniITX Motherboard Trays

Post by ces » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Nice.

For someone looking for the same thing... but for ATX and Micro ATX boards, PerformancePCs.com sells Lian Li motherboard trays.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 10_750_753

How much extra would it cost to make the rest of the case?

joemadeus

Re: MiniITX Motherboard Trays

Post by joemadeus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:36 am

ces wrote:Nice.

For someone looking for the same thing... but for ATX and Micro ATX boards, PerformancePCs.com sells Lian Li motherboard trays.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 10_750_753
That was the odd thing to me: Lian Li & others make motherboard trays for MicroATX and larger, but it seems like nobody made them for MiniITX. I decided to fill that gap ;) (especially since I wanted to build an ITX system myself.)

In other news, I also have PicoITX motherboard trays that fit the three most popular Via boards. They also attach to what you're building using 10-32 screws and hold a laptop hard drive, mounted in a frame underneath the board. A pic:

ces wrote:How much extra would it cost to make the rest of the case?
A MiniITX case? I'm not sure, and I think it depends on what you were looking for. Right now, I'm having components for the case machined using Ponoko, a rapid prototyping/fabricating company that allows you to send your own designs in. The cost varies wildly, depending on what materials you use and the specifics of your design. And, I decided to go the fabrication route; I'm sure that someone with more time on their hands could do what Ponoko is doing for far less money.

-j