FSP300-60PN buzzes - even when off!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

lenny
Patron of SPCR

FSP300-60PN buzzes - even when off!

Post by lenny » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:17 pm

This is the 120mm fanned Fortron. Mine's the non PF version from newegg. Never did notice the buzzing before, but yesterday when working inside my case (again) I happened to have my ear an inch from the PSU and heard a buzzing noise. This is when the system is not running (it's too faint to hear when the system is on).

I then turned the PSU off with the switch at the back of the PSU, and the buzzing is still there after a minute. This kind of worries me - it means that power is still being supplied to the PSU even though the switch is off. The computer will not turn on, of course. The green led on the MB will go out after a while (caps draining, I presume).

If I yank the power cord the buzzing stops instantly. If I plug it back (with the PSU switch off) it comes back immediately.

It's not terribly bothersome right now but I wonder if anyone encountered this. It's really faint - if I angle my head away from the PSU I don't hear the buzzing.

spirit

Post by spirit » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:33 pm

I've had this problem with an el cheapo PSU, all that was causing the buzzing was that the 20? pin mobo connector wasn't fully pushed into the slot on the board... :roll:

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I'll double check that. It's possible since I removed the connector to reroute the wires.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:10 pm

I checked the connectors. Tight, so no luck. Come to think of it, it's buzzing even when not supplying power to the MB, so the connector should not be a factor.

Any ideas? Time to open it up for an autopsy? And I just put the case back together too *sigh*

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:22 pm

I have the same problem on the Shuttle XPC that I have here at work. Let me know if you ever figure out the cause, or more importantly, the solution.