Did I fry my PSU?????

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

soundOFsilence

Did I fry my PSU?????

Post by soundOFsilence » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:53 pm

I have a workspower 120mm psu, and I had modified it by cutting the power to its fan and connecting it to one of its power connector's 5volt leads to slow it down.

Starting yesterday morning couple of months after this mod, the PC won't turn on. The only hint of life is when I hard plug the PC the motherboard light comes on and the CPU fan makes a small movement.

I plugged a friend's power supply, and it does run my PC. Here is the spooky part: When I pluggeld my power supply to his PC, it does work! But it doesnt work with my PC. I have no idea what is going on. This is an Ahanix Platinum XP case, P4P800 deluxe, 2.6C.

I went ahead and bought another power supply at BestBuy (so expensive compared to newegg, but they have a good return policy :) I will see if it runs my PC, but that is not the point. Why doesnt my PSU run my PC? Is this related to its standby voltage? My friend's PC is much simpler relative to mine too.

Beats me. Does anyone have any ideas so that I dont have to throw this PSU away?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Did I fry my PSU?????

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:03 am

I doubt the fan mod is relevant.
soundOFsilence wrote:I plugged a friend's power supply, and it does run my PC. Here is the spooky part: When I pluggeld my power supply to his PC, it does work! But it doesnt work with my PC.
I suspect this is more to do with the powering up signalling between the mobo and the psu - PW_OK (pin 8 et al). For some reason your mobo/psu combination is no longer 'happy' and the mobo won't hold the psu ON. Could just be a few mV or mA of unhappiness but causing the effect you see. The psu could be fine or it could be a symptom of broader degeneration. Keep it as a spare.

I had a similar situation a long while ago: 1 of my mobo insisted on a specific psu otherwise it wouldnt start. And occasionally it needed several cycles trying to power on (unplug AC, disconnect ATX from mobo etc) before it coughed into life. Then again, as I had knocked a small cap off the mobo as well as a surface mount something I figured this was all self inflicted :)

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. The Antec worked perfectly yesterday, even the standby wake-up works, it has not for a while now.

So I went ahead and ordered a Coolmax Taurus ? 400w 120mm PSU from newegg, and the Antec is going back to BestBuy...

I may just give that PSU to that friend of mine, since it works on his system, or keep it in case I have anough "seconds" to build a spare PC...