Seasonic SS-300FS L1A Success Story

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davidhooper

Seasonic SS-300FS L1A Success Story

Post by davidhooper » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:38 pm

Hi guys,

It's been ages since I've posted on SPCR, but I love what goes on here and do keep up with developments.

The old stock Adda in my Seasonic SS-300 really wasn't that great. It had a whoosh which certainly wasn't silent by any means. This morning I finally got around to swapping out the Adda with a soft-mounted Panaflo L1A. Oh my goodness me, it's now so amazingly quiet! I'm so happy! I think I may have finally arrived at my dream of a silent computer. :lol:

As expected, the L1A doesn't spin on a cold boot, but it gets enough voltage at a PSU temp of about 40C and then has the momentum to keep turning if the temp drops. Unfortunately it clicks for a few minutes when it's trying to start but the temps are slightly too low, but this soon goes away when the temps rise. Also, I noticed I'd mounted the PSU the wrong way up, so the bottom vent was facing the top of the case! My CPU temps dropped 1C on flipping it :)

So at the moment I'm idling CPU 28C with a L1A on min fanmate speed and PSU 38C with a L1A. No case fans or GPU fans :P

My next project is going to be to try to write a program to spin up and down the hard disk in Windows on demand. You can do it in Linux after all. I think there used to be a bios.h file for C, but I don't recall. Anyone remember?

By the bye, does anyone know if it's worth me soft mounting my 'Cuda IV? Chuckle, now the monitor is the noisiest component in my system. Now, if I can just find a way to sort out CRT coil whine...

davidhooper

Seasonic SS-300FS L1A died

Post by davidhooper » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:52 am

Hi guys,

Just to update this two year old post, my L1A modded Seasonic SS-300FS PSU died the other day. I think the strain placed on it over the 2 years finished it off. It used to take ever increasing numbers of power-on button presses to start up until it eventually didn't start at all. Had to replace it with a cheapy for the time being until I can get a decent replacement.

Sad times :(

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:22 am

Now, if I can just find a way to sort out CRT coil whine...
I take it you've moved on to a TFT? They're generally quieter (though not all) and more energy-efficient.
my L1A modded Seasonic SS-300FS PSU died the other day.
Sometimes we have to sacrifice the components we love in the name of silence. :lol:

Any idea yet what you will replace it with?