Small, quiet PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

L_Dawg

Small, quiet PSU

Post by L_Dawg » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Hey all,

I was curious as to what people would recommend in the way of small PSUs? I'm looking at building a system similar to the breadbox PC on the site, and will basically be running a VIA board (embedded chip of some sort), a DVD drive, and a smaller hard drive. Any suggestions? I would go with the Seasonic 200 watt unit, but I've read that it's incompatible with the VIA EPIA's. Anyone? Thanks for your time.

L Dawg

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:41 am

Why don't you just get a fanless PSU (laptop-style)? Check mini-box website (http://www.mini-box.com), they have a power simulator to size up your needs. I run the 60w one. Epia 5000, laptop HD and DVD rom drive. Total silence.

angerboy

Post by angerboy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:51 pm

The 95W power supplies that are in those cheap IBM Netvista cases and ebay would work. They are inexpensive and pretty quiet, too. They also cost next to nothing.

-- AB

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:17 pm

I have a Epia 5000 and a Seasonic 200W PSU (like what MikeC used in the Breadbox) work-in-progress computer and I have no compatibility issues between the components. That PSU runs the board just fine. The VIA board takes a standard ATX 20-pin power input.

The Seasonic fan is rather quiet, but it does have a little bit of chatter. Might not hear it depending on how it is mounted in the case you design. This PSU would be a good candidate for a L1A swap and for decouple mounting the fan with EAR grommets.

Though the mini-itx PSUs are going to be quieter.