NX3000 vs Modded SS-300FS

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

markjia

NX3000 vs Modded SS-300FS

Post by markjia » Sun May 02, 2004 10:25 am

Which is quieter? The Nexus or a modded Seasonic (with a L1A Panaflo replacement)?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: NX3000 vs Modded SS-300FS

Post by aphonos » Thu May 06, 2004 7:27 pm

markjia wrote:Which is quieter? The Nexus or a modded Seasonic (with a L1A Panaflo replacement)?
I have both and IMO, the Seasonic solution will be quieter (if you get a quiet L1A), but in general it will be warmer, too--properly ventilate if you go this route (ie ducted PSU intake).

The sound on an unmodded Nexus is pretty smooth and pretty quiet. For a couple weeks, I've had the Nexus running in a case with the sides and top off sitting on the floor right next to my chair and I find the soft woosh of the Nexus never grabs my attention. My ~5V Papst fan and seeks on my 'cuda V are more noticable. I think if I put the panels on the case and moved it 3 ft around to the side of my desk, it would have to be very quiet (ie no fridge compressor 2 rooms away, no HVAC running, HDD in idle) to hear the PSU fan.

Getting back to the Seasonic, with a quiet L1A I had to get within .5m in a quiet environment to hear it.

YMMV.