Prosilence fanless pro 420 watt PS

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

GPSIIR

Prosilence fanless pro 420 watt PS

Post by GPSIIR » Wed May 19, 2004 5:51 am

Anyone know if this: http://silentmaxx.net/catalog/ps_prosilence_420cpcs.php powersupply is worth the $299? I've came across several references of "fanless" power supplies that had an annoying hum, and weren't worth the trouble.... I'm checking into fanless PS's for my next system build, and so far I haven't gotten a warm fuzzy with any of them....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed May 19, 2004 11:39 am

I'd consider the absence of replies a pretty good indication that this product has not achieved much market success among the most likely audience: SPCR Forum members. The price is steep, and generally, fanlessness is overrated. A very quiet slow fan is about the same for noise audibility AND so much cooler!

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Wed May 19, 2004 5:59 pm

I'd agree with Mike. I have a SilentMaxx 350, and although I like it I have had numerous problems with it. After the 3rd replacment I have had no new problems arise, and so far I am pleased. The hum that the unit does emit, is not a problem (yet) since it is very quiet and the rest of my system noise masks it. Even my other fan cooled psu's had a hum, but the fan(s) covered it up.

There are also some additonal problems that a fanless psu creates. They are addressed in this post by MikeC.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=12452

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed May 19, 2004 6:29 pm

on the topic of fanless power supplies, i just noticed that here in australia there's one coming out soon from silverstone! woo :)

and a coolmax one is apparently being reviewed by mikec? *waiting waiting*

al bundy

Re: Prosilence fanless pro 420 watt PS

Post by al bundy » Wed May 19, 2004 8:50 pm

GPSIIR wrote:Anyone know if this: http://silentmaxx.net/catalog/ps_prosilence_420cpcs.php powersupply is worth the $299? I've came across several references of "fanless" power supplies that had an annoying hum, and weren't worth the trouble.... I'm checking into fanless PS's for my next system build, and so far I haven't gotten a warm fuzzy with any of them....
Personally I think $299 is price-excessive for a power supply unless you can really afford it. I'm sure the higher-powered Prosilence you've linked would be very nice indeed, even with P4 systems. It seems it must have some very high quality internals to operate fanless at that wattage, even with its safety-fan. [I'm hoping you will try it out and let us know what you think of it, as you may be the first one here to get one of them since they are so expensive.]

I've had excellent experiences with the lower-wattage Prosilence (never a single problem whatsoever), but I've only ever used them with P3 systems that had at least one 5V case fan. Others around here who have tried the lower-wattage Prosilence with P4 systems - even the slower P4 systems - have reported some problems including PSU-whine.

Again, if you do buy one of these, please share your experience with us!

[P.S. - Hey bigred it's good to hear that your Prosilence is finally working out.]

8)

wim

Post by wim » Thu May 20, 2004 4:19 am

a forum member is trying to sell a 350 W version in this thread
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9365

he could probably tell you about it

GPSIIR

silentmaxx power supply....

Post by GPSIIR » Thu May 20, 2004 5:07 am

Ah well, I was afraid it was too good to be true. I'd pay the $299, if the power supply worked as advertised and was reliable, but being new, and with reports on this forum that their previous 350 watt fanless has had problems..... Probably shouldn't ask about their water cooled silentmaxx-FANLESS-W 350PCS then, should I? :lol:

Nebor

Re: silentmaxx power supply....

Post by Nebor » Thu May 20, 2004 5:29 am

GPSIIR wrote:Ah well, I was afraid it was too good to be true. I'd pay the $299, if the power supply worked as advertised and was reliable, but being new, and with reports on this forum that their previous 350 watt fanless has had problems..... Probably shouldn't ask about their water cooled silentmaxx-FANLESS-W 350PCS then, should I? :lol:
I wonder if your home owners insurance would drop you if they found out you were water cooling a power supply...

GPSIIR

re: home owners insurance

Post by GPSIIR » Thu May 20, 2004 1:38 pm

Or go up 'cause they think I'm insane! :lol:

honeymonster

Post by honeymonster » Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 pm

I've got this power supply. After getting the first replaced 'cos it buzzed, the second is perfect. Totally silent with the fan set to off and unnoticeable when the fan is on... :D £200 is steep but that seems to be the going price for quality fanless power supplies...

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu May 20, 2004 10:57 pm

honeymonster wrote:I've got this power supply. After getting the first replaced 'cos it buzzed, the second is perfect. Totally silent with the fan set to off and unnoticeable when the fan is on... :D £200 is steep but that seems to be the going price for quality fanless power supplies...
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for posting this information.

8)

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Thu May 20, 2004 11:20 pm

I've got SilentMaxx 350. It was broken once but after repair it works perfectly. Have you seen these PSUs in US - http://www.yesico.de?

In Finland the prices are about these:

YESICO 350W Fanless (Coming Soon!) 189,90 €
YESICO 350W Fanless TMS (Coming Soon!) 199,90 €
YESICO 420W Fanless (Coming Soon!) 224,90 €
YESICO 420W Fanless TMS (Coming Soon!) 234,90 €

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu May 20, 2004 11:23 pm

direct exchange into aussie dollars yields AUD325.21. for a power supply.

OUCH.