For the UK PSU Modders - Job?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Takhisos

For the UK PSU Modders - Job?

Post by Takhisos » Thu May 20, 2004 9:56 am

Hi, I have a Antec Sonata and would like to know if someone could Mod the PSU for me and put in a much quieter fan? A Panaflow for example.

I don't have the tools or the expertise to do it.

Would anyone do it, or would I better just forking out the money on a Nexus and flogging this? Its going to be a balance of which is going to do the better job, and which is the cheaper I suppose.

I'm not sure how much it would cost for the whole job, but then there is no garente that it will work for me either... a predicment?

Anyway, advice appreciated.

Thanks, Rob M.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu May 20, 2004 1:18 pm

I think by the time you factor in postage to and from the modder + the new fan you will be getting close to the price of a new PSU. The new PSU will of course come with a warranty....:)

The next thing to consider, is that if it makes economic sense not to pay someone else to do it you will have a PSU lying about. Now you could try and flog as you say, or you could just have a go. Either that or you could keep it as a spare, it all depends how much you are offered for it.

I don't want to push you into doing something if you are really not happy about it. There is a lot of guidance on this forum and we will offer assisstance if you need it. The only really important bit is to read the sticky about discharging the PSU.

Takhisos

Post by Takhisos » Thu May 20, 2004 4:57 pm

Ok yes, I think that buying a new one is just going to be easier all round.

So the question of which one? I've notived a lot of praise for the Nexus ones but also other people are posting that other brands such as enermax are good too.

I'm in the UK so does anyone have any recommendations of where to get one from? And which is going to be the best?

DonP

Post by DonP » Thu May 20, 2004 5:47 pm

Takhisos wrote:I'm in the UK so does anyone have any recommendations of where to get one from?
just a few clicks away - a list of vendors in the UK for silent stuff.

Takhisos

Post by Takhisos » Fri May 21, 2004 2:41 am

Your a star thanks mate.