That Thermaltake fanless PSU......

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davidstone28

That Thermaltake fanless PSU......

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:47 am

Huge finned copper sinks on either side of the CPU. I wonder how hot that's going to get?

dhutch

Post by dhutch » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:04 am

I thinki looks like a great idea, the main H/S (at the back, my the power switch) wll me outside the case, so thats not a problem, as for the other one, i have know idea why its ont that side!! - there plenty more room at the back, but still it is a lot smaller, so i think it wil be ok

- ATM im giveing it a thumbs up - looks to b a great PSU - silent and with decent power.

two other pics

and two links to thermaltake sight
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w0 ... ozvnxm.htm
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w0 ... esspsu.htm

daniel

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:18 am

Wouldn't this work great with the LianLi PC-V1000? That bottom 120MM case fan blowing intake air right onto that big copper heatsink in the front of the PSU. Seems like it might be a very nice combo :)

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 pm

I have to say... that I have one concern... With a heatsink inside the Case, it is goingto vent hot air into the top of the case.

I think positive pressure will be required.

Mikec - Got one of these ready for the test bench ?

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:08 am

:shock: I think it's interesting that they show it in a case where the motherboard has a fan on the northbridge. As if anyone in the market for a fanless psu would think of having a fan on their northbridge.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:37 am

Compddd wrote:Wouldn't this work great with the LianLi PC-V1000? That bottom 120MM case fan blowing intake air right onto that big copper heatsink in the front of the PSU. Seems like it might be a very nice combo :)
If there is one case where this type of fanless PSU won't work, it is the LianLi PC-V1000. The whole design of that case is to keep the heat of the HD's and the PSU devided from the rest of the case in the bottom tunnel. Those fanless PSU's block the major exhaust opening of the tunnel.

edit: typo
Last edited by Tibors on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:13 am

Quite probably. The PSU area is comparmentalised so you're going to get a build up of hot air in that area. Since there's no exhaust, I guess you're quite likely to get leakage of hot air through the cable gap into the main compartment. The cable gap is probably a bit too far from the rear fan in order for the hot air to be swept away without it circulating. Difficult to know what effect a fanless PSU would have on temps but given that its at the bottom, I agree that its more likely to increase temps rather than decrease then.

I'd be more concerned about whether the PSU will fit in the first place, both in terms of length and whether its possible to remove the circular plate at the back of the V1000.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:38 pm

Might work in this case. If you could find one (pc6277b) that is.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:02 pm

I think it would work very well on the outside of the case, well, except for the small problem of fatal electrocutions from touching the heatsink :lol: .

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:37 pm

Nope, don't have one in the queue. Did send an email inquiry, but no reply.

My thoughts:

1) not sure what function the front external HS have

2) if you want fanless convection to work, the spacing between the fins have to be generous. Look at any/all serious fanless HS devices, and you will see that the spacing between the fins is more than double that of the copper fins in the HS on the back of this PSU. I would be surprised if it was effective; I'd have pulled every other fin out of there.

3) looks like the casing is the same as that in the Coolmax Taurus. Probably comes from the same maker; might have similarly high efficiency. Should work cooler than the Coolmax.