Are you satisified with noise levels of Enermax Noisetaker?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Are you satisified with the noise / silence levels of your Enermax Noisetaker?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 9

davidstone28

Are you satisified with noise levels of Enermax Noisetaker?

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:55 am

I am thinking of getting one but have read conflicting reports on the forums. So, a quick straw poll.

Please state which model you have (if possible).

If disatifised, please state the nature of the noise / problem / area of disatisfaction.

Thanks.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:34 am

David,

This is one of those questions that will never get a true consensus. You really have to judge for yourself in the context of your own system. The very nature of PC noise is interactive -- each combination of components in a particular case in a particular environment has an impact on what a particular person perceives.

The value of the answers here can only be questionable unless you know all the pretinent facts about their setup -- and their noise tolerance / noise sensitivity esp as it relates to yours.

Frustrating though it may be, you will never know until you actually try it yourself in your own setup. And it may be that you could be very happy with it right away or not so happy -- and then over time, come to understand how to get the best out of it and your system as a whole, and become happy with the end result.

Buying a whole product (like a car) is often hard enough; buying a part for a whole product is much harder. In the end, it is an educated guess.

Consider this fact: I put it high up on the Recommended high power PSU list because it is very quiet to a pretty high power level and pretty quiet (tho not the quietest) at min. I use the phrase pretty quiet for the latter conditions because it is not as quiet as the quietest, and the slight clickiness of the fan is more apparent at the lowest speed.

You already have all the relevant info you can get without actually hearing it yourself in your setup.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm

I have to agree with Mike on this. We all have differing opinions of what we look for in a "quiet" or "silent" computer. What may seem noisy to me may be actually quiet enough for your computer. Depends on how paranoid you are about silencing your computer :twisted:

I was disappointed in the NoiseTaker's lack of manual control. In Enermax's previous Whisper series, you could control the fan manually without the temperature causing it to override your manual control. However, with the NoiseTaker, the thermostat has higher priority over the manual control, thus rendering the itty bitty knob in the back nearly useless, at least in my setup.

But hey, you try it. You might like it. If not, just return it. It's that simple. The 2-minute run after shutdown is pretty spiffy, but then again, I keep my computer on for months at a time :P

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Re: Are you satisified with noise levels of Enermax Noisetak

Post by CharlieChan » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:49 pm

davidstone28 wrote:I am thinking of getting one but have read conflicting reports on the forums. So, a quick straw poll.

Please state which model you have (if possible).

If disatifised, please state the nature of the noise / problem / area of disatisfaction.

Thanks.
Hmmm... I just found your little review on the Nexus 4090, I was considering the Nexus as I found the NoiseTaker a little noisy. I have tried my NoiseTaker 475 in two systems a P4 3.0C and a XP-M 2163@166 (XP3000+). The P4 is in a PC60 case with one 80L1A and the NoiseTaker's rpm sensors read ~1600rpm underload - not very quiet. The XP-M is in a BQE case with one antec 12cm fan @ 7V and the NoiseTaker's rpm sensor read ~1350rpm underload - acceptable.
After going throught about 5 quiet PSUs I finally decided the only way I am going to get a really quiet PSU is to do a fan swap. I modded a Seasonic SS300FS with a 80L1A and it blows the NoiseTaker away. The voltage drop across the 80L1A underload (2 x burnP6) is 9V and 7.5V when running 1 instance of folding@home on the P4 3.0C.

MikeC: How does the Super Silencer A3 compare with your modded Seasonic SS300FS?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:00 pm

I have both a Seasonic 460W A3 SS and the NX 4090. This is probably the 5th time I've said it. Oh well. Here goes again:

My SS' fan produces a whine @ ~ 1725 RPM. I'm pretty sure it's the fan, and not the coils. Unfortunately, this is the speed the fan usually hangs around. Don't get me wrong, when it is ~ 1500 RPM it's a dead silent beauty, but it rarely does that. SO~! Until I get my X800XT, which uses less power than the 9800 XT, or until I get a Socket 939 FX-53, I am using the Nexus NX-4090, which I have to admit, is pretty nice. My only complaint is that there are too few connectors/too short wires, compared to the SS A3. The fan is wonderful, and has only a low hum that is only audible if you place your ear within several inches of it. Other than that, it's just the woosh of air coming out that you hear. I haven't heard the fan ramp up ever since I installed it, and if you look on Nexus' site, the 4090 has the longest ramp (it ramps up at higher loads than the others) compared to the other NX PSUs. In any event...

my 2 cents worth: Get the NX 4090. It's real quiet, and gets the job done. Just be sure to buy a few splitters/extensions, should you have a lot of peripherals/big case. I had to get a splitter to power my HDDs because the connectors couldn't reach my HDDs in the HDD cage of my BQE.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:37 am

MikeC: How does the Super Silencer A3 compare with your modded Seasonic SS300FS?
No contest. The SuperRed fan can't compete against the Panaflo 80L when the fan voltage starts ramping up. But that SuperRed can also be swapped, and then you have the same noise level in the RevA3 with higher power and efficiency.

davidstone28

Re: Are you satisified with noise levels of Enermax Noisetak

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:14 am

CharlieChan wrote: I found the NoiseTaker a little noisy. I have tried my NoiseTaker 475 in two systems a P4 3.0C and a XP-M 2163@166 (XP3000+). The P4 is in a PC60 case with one 80L1A and the NoiseTaker's rpm sensors read ~1600rpm underload - not very quiet.

I modded a Seasonic SS300FS with a 80L1A and it blows the NoiseTaker away.
Thanks for the info. I'm nervous about modding the stock fan on my PSU simply because it's left on 24/7 as a fileserver and is usually unattended. I have these images in my head of the PSU overheating and burning the house down. If the PC was only in use when I am around, then I'd quite happily do a fan swap.

So...I think I'm going to wait for Thermaltake, Antec or some other big manufacturer to release their fanless models, if indeed, they ever get round to doing so....

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:01 am

What about you folks with Noisetakers other than the 475? I'm a little worried about getting a non-reviewd PSU as the slightest change of a fan or heatsink lower down the line could change the results. I would love to know the lower rated (and cheaper) Noisetakers run quieter or just as quietly.

shathal

Post by shathal » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:57 am

I got the 475.

Mainly 'cos I'm feeding a 3.4 GHz Prescott, and (counting the days + hours) very shortly an ATI X800XT :D.

Blissfully silent so far, will see once it's got the ATI card in (another 70W odd suckage).

I was (at the time) considering a 6800 Ultra (which would've been 100W+ suckage) - hence the "go with safe" 475 decision.

No complaints as yet from me.