Tagan PSUs - DO NOT BUY!!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dcg

Tagan PSUs - DO NOT BUY!!

Post by dcg » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:56 am

The following is a reposting of the thread I started over at arstechnica. Given that I first heard of Tagan while browsing this forum, I though you all might be interested in this information:

Many of you probably aren't familiar with Tagan, but they've been getting some great reviews:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4310.php
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/re ... 19JRD02OTQ

I'd heard of them from silentpcreview and 2cpu. Seemed like a good deal to run my dual athlon setup - 480 watts, active pfc, very quiet, 3 year warranty, etc.

I saw this thread (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=tagan) over at SPCR just after I ordered mine, but it was posted that the 480W version was unaffected, so I wasn't too concerned.

Then it arrived - no 3 year warranty sticker on the box. Hmmm... I checked the unit, and where it had previously been listed 95-250v, it was now 115-230...ok, maybe not a big deal.

Here's the kicker - the "warranty void if removed" sticker was cut! I guess dropping the warranty from 3 years to 1 wasn't enough, now it's zero. Very clever, Tagan.

Well, at this point no harm in opening it up. You guessed it - no PFC.

This is the exact same model number that was featured in the reviews, and the only 480w model on tagan's website. And before anyone starts to think that maybe I got unlucky with the sticker - I ordered another unit from a different vendor and received exactly the same thing.

In my opinion, this is completely unacceptable. I am now faced with having to pay return shipping, eat the cost of shipping to me, and possibly pay restocking fees to 2 vendors. I've posted this in the hope that others will be able to avoid this company, and also to ask for advice as to how to proceed. TIA for any advice.

Dave

Mikity

Post by Mikity » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:11 am

Shouldn't you be blaming your retailer as opposed to Tagan? Sounds like they sold you a unit that had been tampered with/repaired. So go make a fuss and ask for a new unit.

dcg

Post by dcg » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:39 am

Mikity wrote:Shouldn't you be blaming your retailer as opposed to Tagan? Sounds like they sold you a unit that had been tampered with/repaired. So go make a fuss and ask for a new unit.
Two units from two separate retailers? Both with a cut warranty sticker? Both in what appeared to be factory sealed packaging (same type of shrink wrap on both)? That would be a hell of a coincidence.

cruelsister

Post by cruelsister » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:51 am

I can't believe that a manufacturer would do something like this. Better off just not to answer emails.

If, as you say you had the same problem from 2 sources maybe the wholesaler is to blame. Easy to remedy- call the people where the purchase was made, tell them the problem and have them look at a unit on their shelf. If the sticker is cut on theirs, then they should refund your cash (selling defective goods).

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:46 am

Did you buy from an authorized distibutor. Go to http://www.tagan.com/wheretobuy.htm for the short list of distributors. See http://www.ajump.com/ajump/dept_brand.a ... name=Tagan for listing, and proper part #. $78 including shipping I ordered from ajump. With the torn warantee sticker you should have known you were in trouble.

You have the old power supply, Check the original listing to see if they were advertising the new or old model. If you bought it dirt cheap you now know why. If they were advertising the 480-U01 active apc,and eps they should make it right, or else it is fraud.

edit remove "US" from distibutors

dcg

Post by dcg » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:59 am

Purchased from Ajump first, and AIC micro second. Both authorized. AIC micro advertised Active PFC, Ajump did indirectly by listing voltage as 95-250, which is not what is on my unit.

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:41 am

Thanks dcg for posting the dealers. My opinion is that they are the ones to watch out for. They should make good on this. Many companies have shrinkwrap equipment. (Ones that get returns). The one with the voided waranty should be returned for free, but settle for 100% refund I don't remember if mine was shrink wrapped. Also contact Tagan, there response seems to be slow, (German to Chinese, to English). but they do respond.

I would go back to both companies and try again to get satisfaction. They both sent the wrong product. Unfortunately, you take a chance on the internet. I and others have felt the pain of return shipping costs. The PSU's you recieved were probably someone elses unchecked returns. Like you I depended on the115/230v listing at Ajump.

Do the PSU have all the connector?
24 pin,converter to 20, 4 pin atx 8 pin eps and 2 satas?

By the way the upc code on the box should say
TG480-U01 480W
Universal: 115/230VAC
code
4"710713"244825"

Best of luck, lean on them some more, let them know you hold them responsable. I don't blame you for being sick of Tagan, but they may be a victim as well. Let them know so they have a chance to straighten it out

I hope you can work something out. I and others will be watching. Let them know, and let us know

Loki

Post by Loki » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:57 pm

I had read many favorable reviews of The Tagan power supplies, which led me to purchase the TG480 back in July 2004. Shortly after installing it I had a brown out and my 700VA UPS was unable to power the computer. I began to email tech support concerning the problem. I sent several emails over a 6-week period with no response. Almost two months later they finally responded telling me that the TG480 needs 685 watts or at least a 1200VA UPS. So I purchased a 1500VA UPS by Powercom, from NewEgg. UPS power still will not work with this power supply. Many emails to Tagan since, the last one being on 10\06, I have yet to receive a reply. I feel I have given them more than enough chance to make good on a defective product. Buyer beware, your on your own if you purchase anything from Tagan.

SilverBeard

Post by SilverBeard » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:29 pm

I recently ordered a Tagan 480 from ajump.ca.

Sure enough I got one with a sliced warranty sticker. The box says 12 month warranty and there is no mention of PFC on the box or the manual.

It appears from what I read in another thread that for the NA market they have removed the active PFC and I am guessing they had to cut the warranty sticker to do it. The box was shrink wrapped so I doubt Ajump did anything to it.

Anyway, when the rest of my parts arrive, I will give it a try. I am just hoping that it will still work OK. Since ajump will not accept non-defective returns once you open the box, there is not much alternative to trying it out.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:26 pm

Just to clarify:

Despite what some of the posters seem to suggest, SPCR has never reviewed or recommended a Tagan PSU. SPCR Forum members may have been positive about Tagan, but the brand has never been reviewed by SPCR.

Hope everyone's tales of woes are resolved in the end...

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:08 pm

Well, I was considering buying a 330W version. I emailed Tagan about the ticking problem. I got an email 3 days later saying they had resolved the problem and that I could safely buy any Tagan product.

FWIW.

Only one retailer is carrying Tagan though and they don't carry 330W unless you specifically order it - and agree to receiving it one month later. Hrrr

manalainen

Post by manalainen » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:50 pm

Well, yeah, we really are very much on our own when it comes to Tagan. I had my battle against the windmills last spring when the 380W Tagan PSU I bought made this little irritating buzzing/rustling noise from day one (Later I found out that it was one of the PCB surfacemounted components that was causing this rustling noise, a rather typical "feature" of those PSU´s).

I tried contacting Tagan several trimes during a period of a couple of months, all of this to no avail. Not even a single email saying that they had received my mails, ie. acknowledged responsibility of their products as a company. I tried mailing both the european sales and their techsupport but it seems that I was so out of luck (And still am).

I can not recommend those PSU´s to anyone, they seem solid and nice and I would really really like to like them. But, with such an abysmal or nonexistent techsupport and customer care, simply no dice. I will most propably never buy anything Tagan again.

xarope

Post by xarope » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:09 am

Guess I've been lucky with my Tagan 480W powering my A64/3200+ rig. But from the sounds of it, my next PSU won't be a Tagan.

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:23 pm

I've also been lucky with my Tagan 480W on my A64 machine. No problems and the unit is exceptionally quiet, you either have to see the fan spinning or put your ear to case to know it's on. The warranty sticker is also cut on my unit. I never checked to see if the unit has PFC in it but lack of PFC isn't going to affect me anyway. It certainly beats out my Seasonic SS 350FS for lower noise.
A friend also has had no problems with his Tagan 480w on his A64 box.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:12 am

dcg,

thank you for the word of warning!

Something seems fishy here and I wouldn't be so willing to let Tagan off the hook so quickly.

Could you contact Tagan (GER) directly and ask about this:

- have you cut the warranty to 1 year?
- no more PFC?
- how can warranty stickers be broken with unopened units?

If Tagan denies the above and asks where you bought yours, then we can suspect the resellers or there being counterfeit units in the market.

Be what it may, I think it is important for people to be aware of the problem: you may not get what you order.

Personally I was lucky with my Tagan 480W (250V, PFC, 3 year warranty, the most quiet fan PSU I've had under load).

Let's just hope that the new Tagans are as good and this is just some sort of a fluke.

tof

Post by tof » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:50 am

But I understand you're in europe, Tagan USA might be a different story. Tagan doesn't design their PSUs, they buy them from Topower Fortron or Astek etc... and then tune them to make them silent

ukdave

THE POWER OF SILENCE!! TAGAN

Post by ukdave » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:50 pm

Loki wrote:I had read many favorable reviews of The Tagan power supplies, which led me to purchase the TG480 back in July 2004............etc. etc. Buyer beware, your on your own if you purchase anything from Tagan.

Hi everyone
Just come across your Forum guys after going on to Yahoo and doing a search with words to the effect of "where is Tagan PSU support?" because I was becoming desperate - and then I was directed to your set of postings. Let me tell you a recent and very true story that seems to run parallel with what has being going on here. This has got to get sorted out - the Tagan support. Slight apologies for the long story but it has to be factual, fair and not biased. Just as it occurred and you can all take up the baton from there!!

On 9 September 2004 I purchased (following about 3 terrific reviews) the Tagan TG480-U01 ATX12V PSU. This was purchased from an extremely reputable UK supplier. It has 95-250V on the PSU and on the box it states it has a 36 months warranty. OK guys, as far as I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with this PSU, because I have only just fixed it to my case as I begin (as a newbie) to build my first computer using the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe m/b. So no criticisms so far none at all.

On 9 November I noticed a connector on the m/b needed a 3-pin connector to be supplied from the PSU but could not see one on the PSU so I decided to write to Tagan. Now on reflection, I can see the question probably deserves to be ignored and perhaps I should do a lot more learning before I continue my building process. But I did not appreciate this at the time and I was worried at not connecting it at all, and not sure whether there was a 4 to 3 pin adapter available Anyhow I looked up Tagan website and found the tech support contacts.

Before I go on. Looking at the varied postings here I realise I must be joking now when I thought I had problems!! They pale into insignificance with many others I know now. Anyway, bear with me and lets continue...

On 9 November I sent an email basically outlining what I said above to [email protected] - marking it HIGH PRIORITY because I wanted to continue with installing my m/b as I saw it at the time and had explained to them in my email. By the 12th I was getting impatient, so I forwarded the same email and asked for a kind response. No reply. By the 15th I decided to contact their other support called [email protected] and explained to them my problem. By the 18th no reply so I decided then to appeal to Europe and wrote an email to [email protected] apologizing for contacting them. They being sales and not tech, but asked could they explain why I was receiving no response despite my very polite emails.

In the original one I had complimented them on all the terrific reviews and how proud they must be of their product. So I tried to be fair and reasonable at all times. But I did then complain and in one email - here is an extract I said "This is not what I expected from the staff of such a first class product".

By this time I was getting to wonder what would happen after the first year (when my supplier's responsibility towards me finished) if I had to action the remaining 24 months warranty. Who could I turn to quickly if it was their policy to just reply "when they feel like it". I would want a new PSU quickly to replace. So I made the following comment in my email to Tagan at Europe outlining what I had said earlier when writing to their other support contacts:
"How would I get a replacement, so I asked for that information also. Silence came back.(this is an advert comment on your website) - but it is not helping me!"
They open their website with such a comment "The Power of Silence".

There it is folks - a true story in this day and age when customer service is an absolute must for companies to succeed in the long run.

Tagan - I would like to say must start responding quickly to emails from the most important asset in their operation - THE CUSTOMER.

......David
Last edited by ukdave on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:31 am

Well, it certainly seems like Tagan is taking "Silence" a bit too literally :)

btw, David, WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:20 am

I bought a Tagan 380W power supply and initially was unhappy with the ticking that the fans sometimes made. I suppose I could void the warranty and open the thing up, but it's gotten better. Initially I contacted Tagan several times via email and never gotten a response.

If you search the threads, I had made a complaint before saying that it's a good product, but don't count on getting any support. It's too bad the power supply you receive doesn't have APFC.

ukdave

Post by ukdave » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:47 am

IMOM wrote:If you search the threads, I had made a complaint before saying that it's a good product, but don't count on getting any support. It's too bad the power supply you receive doesn't have APFC.
Hi IMOM
Just thought I would clarify something with regard to my own particular purchase. On the box it came in, there is within FEATURES a remark that my PSU DOES come with Active_PFC.

Regards
...David. :o

ukdave

Post by ukdave » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:39 am

Hi all

Just in the interests of accuracy (a slight correction to my original posting). I had thought that I would only be going back to my original supplier for 1 year and then on to Tagan. It seems that it is not quite like that. Below is an extract I have taken from page 2 of their User's Manual:

"Warranty and Handling....

Under normal operation, Tagan provides 36 months warranty since the date of purchasing. If you have any of technical problems, please contact your vendor first. Our entire service channel will offer you the full technical support to solve the problems.

Please clearly indicate the Model & Serial Number before sending the defective PSU product back to Tagan for repair or exchange.

Warranty becomes void if the sticker is broken or removed, as well as

. on violation of above-mentioned precautions
. on deliberate, accidental or careless mishandling
. on a natural disaster or catastrophe"

So it looks as though I will always be able to go back to the supplier for the entire 36 months. With regard to their comment on sending it back to Tagan. I could not find within the book or on their website any information regarding where PSUs would have to be returned to, or for that matter ANY address whatsoever for Tagan. Be grateful if someone out there can come up with such an address please. I might have just missed this somehow.

Failing that I suppose it would by default have to be routed and replaced/repaired via the supplier.

....David :o

Ice Czar

Post by Ice Czar » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:59 pm

MikeC wrote:Just to clarify:

Despite what some of the posters seem to suggest, SPCR has never reviewed or recommended a Tagan PSU. SPCR Forum members may have been positive about Tagan, but the brand has never been reviewed by SPCR.

Hope everyone's tales of woes are resolved in the end...
or at least that you where aware of :p

you did review the OCZ Powerstream
both the Tagan and the Powerstream are in fact
Topower ATX12VPW\P6 Series supplies with various options
exactly how closely related they are...

as to why a rebrander or retailer might have cut the sticker....
Im still trying to determine if there is a difference between Tagan & ePower

and as a note regarding a different Tagan
larrymoencurly wrote:
The Finnish Safety Technology Authority monitors the market for unsafe and possibly hazardous equipment/materials in Finland.

It has recently issued the following statement about
Tagan TG330-U01 (Topower Electronics Co Ltd, China):

Summarizing the important points here (from Finnish):

- Not immediately dangerous, but safety level is very low.
- insulation gap between primary and secondary coils too narrow
- insulation pipe from primary coil too short
- does not pass voltage strength test at 3000Vac/1 minute (between primary output and secondary). Fails at 1800V.

Conclusion: The importer has been notified to remove the product from market. The product may be returned [for refund I assume] as defective to the place of purchase [in Finland].

http://www.tukes.fi/cgi-bin/myyntikiell ... fm?id=3753