Enermax PSU Mod help

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ceraf

Enermax PSU Mod help

Post by ceraf » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:22 pm

After I read the enermax psu silencing article, I decided to give it a shot on my psu. Instead of seeing the thermistor hot-glued to the coil, mine was stuck inside the middle hole of the coil, wedged in and secured by the flat plastic "string?" that is tied around the coil.

I tried pulling it out, but it seems like it's stuck in there pretty tight, and in there for good. I'm scared to damage (or just disconnect) the thermistor by pulling too hard. What should I do?

Enermax EG351P-V

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:27 pm

You'd have to ease it off -- not yank. And maybe that strap has to be cut, tho I wonder if that's what holds the coil in place...

ceraf

Post by ceraf » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:56 pm

I tried easing it out first, but it wasn't moving at all. Then i started to pull with a bit more strength. I guess I'm out of luck, and I think that plastic strap holds the coil in place (seeing that other coils have it too), so i can't cut that off.

Oh well. It was interesting to read that article, but it seems like it isn't for me. :) Maybe ill switch to a zalman or seasonic psu.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:48 pm

I had the same thing. It's a zip tie.. just take scissors to it, and the thermistor will be freed.

ceraf

Post by ceraf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:57 am

If I cut the zip tie, will the coil be loose? also, is it dangerous to touch the coil?

just to make sure im not going to kill myself :)

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:30 pm

keeping in mind i have no idea what you're looking at, what sort of "coil" is it? if it's wire wrapped around a circular magnet and looks just like the dozen or so other ones, it should be fine if you cut the cable tie. it'll be safe to touch it if it's unplugged too, but don't, like, shove your hand against it, can still shock yourself if you short a capacitor or something. you can use a toothpick to move the cable tie or thermistor or whatever to be really safe, i'd be worried more about nicking the wire while cutting the cable tie though. :P

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:31 pm

It's the same coil found in the article http://www.silentpcreview.com/article9-page2.html

Only instead of being hot glued to the top, it's zip-tied into the middle of the coil.

Discharge the PSU by disconnecting all of the cords, and the shorting the green and black pins on the ATX connector for a few seconds.

Take scissors, or cutting pliers and just snip the tie gently. Pull it out with chopsticks or something if you're afraid of zapping yourself. Tug on the thermistor wires gently, and it'll come out without a fuss.

I gave up on the thermistor mod, and just put a 7V L1A as the exhaust and taped up the 92mm hole with a piece of cereal box.