Best (most silent) PSU from the recommends ones

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jackdan

Best (most silent) PSU from the recommends ones

Post by jackdan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:53 pm

Hi, I am currently trying to get together a silent little box. I am currently hesitating for the PSU. I read all the articles and the recommended list, but the top few seem so close, it's hard to make a decision. Here are the PSU's I'm hesitating between:

Seasonic super tornado 300
Seasonic super silencer 300
Nexus NX-3000

Basically, which one is the most silent? Since there is only about 13$ difference max between these PSU's, price is not a factor. My main concern is NOISE.

Thanks in advance,

Jd

BTW I was also looking at antec's SLK3700-BQE. Is the PSU inside that case anywhere in the race for most silent?

kesv

Re: Best (most silent) PSU from the recommends ones

Post by kesv » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:10 am

jackdan wrote: BTW I was also looking at antec's SLK3700-BQE. Is the PSU inside that case anywhere in the race for most silent?
No it isn't. It's average meaning it would satisfy some people but looses to the best PSUs in it's class (on noise atleast).

liquid_celica

Post by liquid_celica » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 am

if you swap out the fan for a panaflo/nexus/evercool/ any descent fan than it would be in competition. That's if you want to save some money. Also, cutting out the stamp grill on it would provide useful.

I actually have mine swapped out with an aerocool 80mm and I can't hear mine, its more quiet then the stock sonata, but thats not saying much.

Oh and my recommendation, besides the swapping, is the seasonic silencer. Average pricing and very good performance. Tornado is the upgrade, but I'm what you call the thrifty shopper 8) .

Pauli

Re: Best (most silent) PSU from the recommends ones

Post by Pauli » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:41 am

kesv wrote:
jackdan wrote: BTW I was also looking at antec's SLK3700-BQE. Is the PSU inside that case anywhere in the race for most silent?
No it isn't. It's average meaning it would satisfy some people but looses to the best PSUs in it's class (on noise atleast).
I agree. I swapped my 3700BQE PS for a Super Tornado 300 Rev A3 and am now happy with the noise level. The stock PS ramped up too quickly under only moderate load and got pretty loud. The highest RPM I've gotten my ST-300 to is about 1140 (video encoding for a couple of hours). Still quiet at that speed.