My comments on Silverstone ST30NF fanless PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 am

rather odd.....

The POINT of a fanless system,where one pays more for the fanlessness...should be to have a whole system operate with...say...ONE fan ..TOTAL.

One mentioned above.....put the fanless PSU IN THE CASE......and below the mobo. Awww. You want it OUTSIDE the main chamber with rather open venting. You put it in the box....then put a FAN with it..and what's the POINT?

I also saw a rig described with a high power/heat CPU..overclocked,and a high power/heat vid card ...also overclocked. Then......THREE HDDs and 4 fans. So.....in THAT setup.....a relatively quiet FANNED PSU would have made nearly no difference. He could have ommitted one of the case fans

The IDEAL way to use a fanless likely is in a homebuilt case or one modded to the task. I would not bother for a "gamer" rig with a "space heater" dual vid card and a OC'd high watt CPU. You can't get the system on that silent enough for a fanless PSU to matter

Where it MATTERS is if you have a cool CPU,passive HS,very quiet HDD or SSD,and a big LOW RPM fan,maybe a 140,maybe a 250. No vid card fan or chipset fan. ONE slow mover fan for everything.

PSU live outside,on top,maybe in amesh or louvered chamber. The lone case fan ought to be near the CPU area,but near the PSU should be a case passive vent (outlet ideally) so there's some airflow around the PSU.
This may mean sealing up air leaks (in a modded case) or building with a PLAN so air pumped in has certain paths out.

The typical off the shelf case really does not tend to have a plan that's tuned to SILENT.

dutchie

Re:

Post by dutchie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am

ronrem wrote:rather odd.....

The POINT of a fanless system,where one pays more for the fanlessness...should be to have a whole system operate with...say...ONE fan ..TOTAL.

One mentioned above.....put the fanless PSU IN THE CASE......and below the mobo. Awww. You want it OUTSIDE the main chamber with rather open venting. You put it in the box....then put a FAN with it..and what's the POINT?
My system runs completely fanless, so that's the point :)

Actually I always put in one fan to switch on if the temperature exceeds a certain level, as a safety precaution. This fan is pointed at the cpu chips of my soundcards as these are more expensive than the rest of my pc setup. It's only gone off once during hot summer day when PC was doing graphics processing.

But I'm posting to say my Etasis finally gave up yesterday. Green light goes on, but as soon as I press the power button the red light comes on. In the last month some component did start making some quiet but high pitched whine when there was hard disk activity, so perhaps that component was failing.

Have ordered a Nesteq ASM X-Zero 600W Heat-piped Cooled Semi-Fanless PSU instead. The fan is reported to only come on if the PSU temp exceeds 65C so should be off in my rig, and good to have as a safety.

Dutchie