Safe guidelines for various psu readings?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

PretzelB

Safe guidelines for various psu readings?

Post by PretzelB » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:26 pm

Are there any guidelines for each psu reading as to what is acceptable? I'm looking at MBM for my new A64 board and I see the 12v at 11.13. What I don't know is if I should be concerned. The 5v is 4.97 and the 3.3 is 3.3 so I assume they're ok. I do recall reading some posts where users found small discrepancies totally unacceptable so I wonder about my 12v reading.

FWIW, I did do a quick search but didn't find anything conclusive like a guide. It might be a good item for the faq.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:19 pm

I thought the rule was 5% tolerance, which means that your 12V IS a little low, but I think the tolerance may be greater for the 12V line.

Ned Slider

Post by Ned Slider » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:29 am

Also bear in mind that motherboard (and bios) monitoring of voltages is notoriously inaccurate. Your MBM readings could be accurate, they could be off. You could measure directly with a calibrated digital voltmeter.

Ned

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:36 am

Ned Slider wrote:Also bear in mind that motherboard (and bios) monitoring of voltages is notoriously inaccurate. Your MBM readings could be accurate, they could be off. You could measure directly with a calibrated digital voltmeter.

Ned
I'm an idiot when it comes electric readings. I will do some searches and see if I can find some help on how to do that.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:47 am

I prefer the seat-of-the-pants approach.......

if it doesn't crash, everything is OK.

Of course, if you're having random crashes or BSOD's and are trying to diagnose the cause, then its a whole different ballgame, but if you're stable, stop worrying. :lol:

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:03 am

Rusty075 wrote:I prefer the seat-of-the-pants approach.......

if it doesn't crash, everything is OK.

Of course, if you're having random crashes or BSOD's and are trying to diagnose the cause, then its a whole different ballgame, but if you're stable, stop worrying. :lol:
Great attitude. Too often we seem to create problems in our analysis of numbers.

Ned Slider

Post by Ned Slider » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:02 am

Absolutely. If your system is fine then you have nothing to worry about.

My Nexus 300 PSU as recommended by these forums reads very low on the 5V rail on my motherboard but the system works just fine.

Ned