Nexus NX-3000 - old, but still good choice ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

BigDonut

Post by BigDonut » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:41 pm

if it fits your needs why not?

if you can get one of the seasonics then get them instead, or consider an enermax noisetaker (there is a 320w version)

I would still think its a good choice though

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:34 pm

I recently got one of these & am very,very pleased with it. It is much quiter than my Fortron Aurora, which has a close rating on the "Recommended" list.

Keep your eyes peeled as these are starting to pop up cheap, perhaps being considered "old stock". Don't be put off by this, as they are still capable units.

Good Luck :)

stighenning

Post by stighenning » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:43 am

Krispy; Nice! Then this is what I'll be ordering! :)

Seasonic doesn't sell here in Norway. (I haven't found them..)

Enermax - I have heard up and down about these modells.
Some say they are very good, others say that there are better units out there. (don't remember now.. doh)

I'm just worried that my system will demand to much power..
but then again. Is there a way to measure how much power I need ?
(check my profile at the bottom)

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:36 am

I understand your concerns, so hopefully this thread will help you (The Toms Hardware link is especially valuable):
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3075

It came from this Sticky, which contains lots of other interesting stuff:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13290

These should enable you to make some calculations & also bear the future in mind. If in doubt a larger unit is always an option.

Ned Slider

Post by Ned Slider » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:18 pm

I recently bought the Nexus 300W together with a Noisetaker 370W. Both are quiet PSU's and I'm really pleased with both. The voltage rails are slightly better on my Noisetaker, but I am pushing the Nexus quite hard. Overall I'd say the noisetaker is a better PSU but I paid nearly double for it compared to the Nexus here in the UK.

If the Nexus is up to the job you want it for and the price is good, then you can't go wrong. But if they're similarly priced, I'd go for the Noisetaker (just).

Ned

stighenning

Post by stighenning » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:15 pm

Ned Slider;
Ah, nice with comparison. I don't think I need that much voltage.
I hope the Nexus will do..
Although - I was planing on buying the Phantom PSU.
But I believe that it might get abit to hot in there.. :roll:

I did as an experiment to shut off the 120mm fan..
Then the case got much higher temp, and CPU also.. stopped at 50C.

Also read that the Tagan 480 is a good brand.
With 2 fans on the PSU.

All in all. Webshop over here says that
Nexus NX-3000,
300W, 18,6dB(A), excellent airflow
cost: 435,- NOK

Enermax 485W Noisetaker Strømforsyning
20+24PIN, Atx, Sata - EG495AX-VE(W)SFMA ()
cost: 1133,- NOK

So that is under half price... :wink:
(the other 370W and 470W is not in stock)

Ned Slider

Post by Ned Slider » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:45 am

Thanks Stig,

Another factor to consider is case cooling. I use mine in an open system, on shelves on an open rack so case cooling isn't a consideration for me. But maybe the noisetaker with it's two fans would give better case cooling than the older nexus design (not something I'd factored into my answer above).

Basically, the nexus is still an excellent PSU and is often very cheap compared to more modern designs. If you just want a really good 300W quiet supply then you won't be dissappointed. But if you want better case cooling (without the need for additional rear fans) or a bit more power then you won't be dissappointed by the noisetaker series either (just go for the model that has the power you need). I was lucky enough to find the nexus cheap in the UK, so for me it was a bargin :)

Ned

stighenning

Post by stighenning » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:15 am

But do you think it would be enough to have the 120mm in the back.
Using a fanless CPU like this:
Thermaltake Purepower Fanless ATX 350W
..but abit worried, when I read this:
"Even though the Thermaltake Fan-less 350 uses one heat exchanger mounted outside the case, a significant amount of heat is still being generated inside the enclosure. Good case cooling using quiet, low speed fans or passive, convection cooling (large blow-hole above power supply) will have a big effect on how hot or cool the power supply ultimately runs"
(http://www.systemcooling.com/tt_fanless_psu-06.html)

Also some people tend to like this one:
NorthQ Strømforsyning Silent 400W NQ 4001 - ATX 400W, 120mm Fan, 12-17dBA
But not sure I trust NorthQ - beeing that silent.

Comment ?

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 am

Ned Slider raises an important point about "extra" case cooling.

When I got my Fortron Aurora it ended up "overcooling" my case, even at it's lowest setting. This was due to it's large fan, which I had been seduced by. In consequence I ended up with extra noise I didn't want. You shouldn't get this problem with the Nexus. Personally, I'd prefer a PSU to be just that.

Additionally it depends on your budget? I can't speak about the Enermax Noisetaker, or the Thermaltake Purepower Fanless 350W, however, they are more than twice the price of the Nexus & larger units.