Fortron (FSP) 300Wt PSU with 1x80mm fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Evgeny

Fortron (FSP) 300Wt PSU with 1x80mm fan

Post by Evgeny » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:07 am

Anyone use or listen some Fortron PSU 300Wt (with PFC) with one 80mm fan? I can't say at this moment model name exactly. I interested for electromechanical noise, quality and noiseness of fan, its efficiency... And what means feature "noise killer" in these PSU - regulation of fan speed or just quiet (slow) fan? If it mean regulation - how fine it works?

Thanks for any answer and sorry for poor english :)

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:10 am

Fortron has many 300W PSUs. I can only comment on the one I have. btw the one I have is a common model that comes included with cases: FSP300-60ATV. This one doesn't have PFC though I doubt the PFC version would be very different

The 80mm fan isn't especially quiet but nor is it especially loud. the one I have, had a Yate Loon D80SH-12 fan that's quite loud at 12V but runs beautifully quiet at 3V.

The noisekiller circuit is designed to keep the PSU cool. That means both the internals, the casing AND the air coming out the back is literally cool all the time. This, unfortunately requires a rampup under long-term use.

The PSU is very sturdy & reliable though and I tried different fan swaps with it. My last mod (and I'm still in the testing period but it seems to work great) is to swap in a Globe M (medium flow fan very similar to Panaflo M1A in flow & noise) fan and reroute the noisekiller circuit to run off the 5V line instead of the 12V line. The fan has trouble starting with this setup but if given the tiniest of a push, it starts turning. End result is a cool casing, slightly warm internals, slightly warm exhaust and nearly no noise.

Evgeny

Post by Evgeny » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:46 am

Thanks for description of your FSP300-60ATV. I about to buy "second-hand" Fortron 300Wt, but unfortunately i still don't know model name what is proposed. Tommorow, i hope, i will know.

And i confused but i don't understand your definition of Noisekiller :?. You mean electric circuit, what adjust PSU-fan speed or something else? And what you mean, when you say rampup? :)

bomba

Re: Fortron (FSP) 300Wt PSU with 1x80mm fan

Post by bomba » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:02 pm

Evgeny wrote:Anyone use or listen some Fortron PSU 300Wt (with PFC) with one 80mm fan? I can't say at this moment model name exactly. I interested for electromechanical noise, quality and noiseness of fan, its efficiency... And what means feature "noise killer" in these PSU - regulation of fan speed or just quiet (slow) fan? If it mean regulation - how fine it works?

Thanks for any answer and sorry for poor english :)
I have (2) model FSP300-60PFN. These are 300watt Fortron w/ 80mm fans and active PFC. They were not particularly quiet stock, but have been modded for airflow with fans swapped to Panaflo L1A's. NoiseKiller is just a catchy name for thermal fan speed control, which most PSU's have. As modded, they are very quiet and seem to run pretty cool.

I discussed my experience with this PSU in this post. Unfortunately, I did not mention my final thermistor relocation mod (relocated from from on the heatsink to several mm away) which in conjunction with the fan swap resulted in a very quiet PSU under all load conditions.

Evgeny

Post by Evgeny » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:57 am

2 Bomba:
A lot of big thanks :) Your topic about your mod was very helpful to read for me (I did search before posting here, but not remember it). But I have one last question. You say what you got "very quiet PSU under all load conditions". I hope, it also not very hot at max load? But when I see your current PSU, I think it is so :) thnks)

bomba

Post by bomba » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:27 am

Evgeny wrote:2 Bomba:
A lot of big thanks :) Your topic about your mod was very helpful to read for me (I did search before posting here, but not remember it). But I have one last question. You say what you got "very quiet PSU under all load conditions". I hope, it also not very hot at max load? But when I see your current PSU, I think it is so :) thnks)
The modded 300watt Fortron has been in my Sonata since last April, running 24/7. However, my system mid-range with passivley cooled vid card and I generally don't run CPU intensive aps. The PSU stays quite cool and stable. With the thermistor relocation, fan does not seem to ramp up much at all when I crank up dual instances of CPU Burn. If you fold, have a hot system or similar situation, I'd proceed cautiously with any quiet, low-airflow PSU. IIRC, Rusty once posted of the hand test, i.e. if the PSU is cool enough for you to hold your hand on the back of it, it's probably fine. My PSU is cool to the touch.

Pics:
ImageImage

Evgeny

Post by Evgeny » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:10 am

Thanks, Bomba, great pics :) Now I know about that Fortrons almost all :) But unfortunately, I can't buy it now because I lost possibility to buy it. Now I see at some Seasonic 250W PSU. I think 250 will be enough for my underclocked/undervolted low-level system on Athlon 0.13 1Ghz at 1.1V.

PS: And where my "Welcome to.. " ?!? :D :D :D