Nexus NX-4090 blows air in instead of sucking it out

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dynamit

Nexus NX-4090 blows air in instead of sucking it out

Post by dynamit » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:07 am

Hi

In other posts I have praised my Nexus NX-4090 for being a very good and silent PSU. I have however discovered a problem. Recently it began blowing air in instead of sucking air out of the case... it's really wierd because the fan is spinning the right way although very very slow (since I only have 2 hdds, a 2,4 ghz and a pretty old gfx card).

I am sure that my observation about blowing instead of sucking is correct. I tryed putting a peace of really thin paper beneath it and the psu pushed it away. When i put the paper to the exhaust it sucked it in. This is really wierd.

I have no other fans in my system so one fan plce right beneath the psu is wide open. I'm woundering if this might create some wierd airflow maby.

Right beneath the psu is a xp-90 with a nexus 92 mm @ 5v. Don't know if that matters.

EDIT: After some more careful testing the psu actually seems to suck som air in throught the the center of the fan. At the sides it seems to be blowing and ithe air behind the exhaust barely moves. Seems like its recirkulating the air within itself. The air like 1 cm beneath the cpu air intake is however still.

JanW

Re: Nexus NX-4090 blows air in instead of sucking it out

Post by JanW » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:55 am

dynamit wrote:I have no other fans in my system...
dynamit wrote:Right beneath the psu is a xp-90 with a nexus 92 mm @ 5v.
:?:

I guess that right next to the fan blades (especially if moving slowly) you can have some turbulence that is not going in any particular direction. To get at net airflow, you could light one of these smoking/smelling sticks (damn, can't remember how to call that in english) and see where the smoke goes.

dynamit

Post by dynamit » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:04 am

Thanks... I wounder where you can buy those.

What I ment with no other fans was no other exhaust or intake fans. Only the fan on the cpu-heatsink. The 80 mm in my sign has been thrown out.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:19 am

JanW wrote:To get at net airflow, you could light one of these smoking/smelling sticks (damn, can't remember how to call that in english) and see where the smoke goes.
  1. incense; a substance that produces a fragrant odor when burned.
  2. incense; the pleasing scent produced when incense is burned.
  3. frankincense, olibanum, gum_olibanum, thus; an aromatic gum resin obtained from various Arabian or East African trees; formerly valued for worship and for embalming and fumigation.
Found using http://lookwayup.com/free/dictionary.htm.
dynamit wrote:I wounder where you can buy those.
Ask your wife/girlfriend/sister/mom ;)

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:31 am

Tibors wrote:
JanW wrote:To get at net airflow, you could light one of these smoking/smelling sticks (damn, can't remember how to call that in english) and see where the smoke goes.
Ask your wife/girlfriend/sister/mom ;)
Or your friendly neighborhood hippie. My stepsister who is currently living in a biodome buys them from some place like "Harry's House of Hemp" :roll: Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess....

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:37 am

JanW

Post by JanW » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:01 pm

LOL, I love that picutre, sthayashi. But I meant incense (thanks, Tibors for the translation and that link!). Being a non-smoker, it didn't even occur to me that cigarettes could be used, too :lol: