Where to buy Seasonic Super Tornado in the UK?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Twigathy

Where to buy Seasonic Super Tornado in the UK?

Post by Twigathy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 am

Hi guys, Im new to this quiet PC stuff, im generally annoyed because the computer is fairly loud. I have the system shown in my sig (Athlon 64 3000+, 3 hard drives, DVD Burner + a couple of case fans).

Basically, I was looking around you're reviews and recommended hardware and thought the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 looked to be a good buy. Where can I get one in the UK?! Google was being strangely unco-operative about this.

Finally, if any of you guys need image or file hosting (sort of imageshack, but you can upload any file type (well, almost)) then check www.uploadthis.co.uk :)

Many Thanks

Twigathy.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:33 am

Hi Twigathy,

Welcome to SPCR!

The only place I know of in the UK that stock seasonic psu's is kool n quiet:
http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?m ... alog&id=52
If you want, while you're there you could get a 92mm nexus fan to replace that nasty vantec stealth! :shock:

Tell a lie, a google search brought up:
http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Seasonic_Psu_s.html

I'm sure there will be others, try looking in the dealer section of the forms at SPCR. I've found that nexus psus tend to be easier to find in the UK, and a good buy if you want an althernative.
Hope this helps

Twigathy

Post by Twigathy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:39 am

Thank you very much for that link, I'll probably buy one of these sometime this week.

Whats up with the Vantec Stealth? Its fairly quiet, obviously not silent....ah....ok...thats the problem then ;)

I'll stop by here once I have it installed, post some pics and stuff once im done.

Cheers

Twigathy

scaryduck

Post by scaryduck » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:33 am

You might want to try http://www.ctldirect.co.uk as well.

Twigathy

Post by Twigathy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 pm

:shock: That has to be THE worst page design in history outside of a tripod or other such evil "THIS IS MY HOMEPAGE I LIKE FISH HERE ARE PICTURES OF MY FISH WITH CHIPS YUM YUM" type things.

Anyways.

I'm holding off buying this right now but as I said, i'll get back to you all. Thanks for the link anyways :P

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:21 pm

I just had a look at Silicon Acoustics, they ship internationally and sell the ST 300 for $64.95 (shipping for this item alone is $39.68 - total: about £55). The good part is that you'll certainly get the better A3 revision (check first!), the bad news is that you'll most likely get hit by customs, and no rebate :P. I couldn't find a tax code for power supplies so I can't say exactly what happens - you might want to find out first if you're serious about it.

(n.b. getting it from Kool & Quiet would cost £60 all-in-all, but it's an A2 revision. Depends how much you value the better fan/controller.)[/url]

Twigathy

Post by Twigathy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:55 am

Hmmm, perhaps a different power supply then. I'll take a look through the recommended list and think about a different more widely available brand

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:44 am

Here's some links you might find helpful. (I'm also looking to get a new PSU, but I don't have the cash right now ;))

Enermax Noisetaker, Fortron: www.microdirect.com
Nexus: www.novatech.co.uk or www.kustompcs.co.uk

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:28 am

Just a word of warning about X-Case. Don't expect to get your items in any sort of hurry. At work we order rack cases off them now and again, and the quickest we've managed to receive the case is 6 weeks. Longest was 4 months.

Twigathy

Post by Twigathy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:12 am

For the sheer "bling" factor (as some might call it, generally not me :D) hows this look?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... 460FG#lblR

<Edit> I checked your recommended list and its not on there, is that because no-one has tried it or because it sucks? </edit>

Spinner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Spinner » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 am

Generally,when a product is not there, it is because no one has tried it. Since there are so many products out there, it is difficult for our community to take a look at all of them.

The spec sheet of the Akasa 460 you supplied isn't very detailed. The main 2 things I found missing are the eficiency and the certifications.

Here is the product page from their official web site. 75% efficiency and 18dBA seems good, but since there is no proper standard for PSU measurement (and of course amny companies try to make their products look good), we can't say unless we have a real look at it. Anyway I wouldn't buy it for the "bling factor" anyway, just like most people here I am sure :D .

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:43 am

It has similar styling to the SPCR-reviewed FSP Aurora, which is a little less efficient. Akasa aren't renowned for silence generally - people have had bad experiences (one two). Mike's comment in two means that it could very well be a rebranded FSP.