Good quality quiet psu wanted - available in Australia

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

pony-tail

Good quality quiet psu wanted - available in Australia

Post by pony-tail » Mon May 30, 2005 12:11 am

I just fragged my psu in my gaming rig.
I was wondering what good quality quiet power supplies are available Down Under
It would need to have more than 20 amps on the 12v or 2 x 12v rails.
the rig is 3.4 northy + 6800 ultra gainward + 2 x 36g raptor etc.
not extreme but pretty power hungry.
not another FSP400-60p
Must be available in AU.
I have not found any body with Seasonic here but if their is someone and somebody online knows of them could they please post a link.

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Mon May 30, 2005 1:32 am

pccasegear are in .au and have a wide range of PSUs with some pretty decent quieter ones in there. Check their range and compare with the SPCR recommended PSUs page.
http://pccasegear.com/category15_1.htm
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

I know that few of the actual PSUs on the recommended pages are with pccasegear, but taking into account the text about PSU fundamentals I suspect what you probably will want is one of the single 120mm fan Antecs on that page.

kogi

Post by kogi » Mon May 30, 2005 1:43 am

Hey Pony-tail

We can get the full range of enermax noisetaker's here. http://www.eyo.com.au

Also the new range version 2 of the antec's look interesting.

kogi

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon May 30, 2005 2:22 am

Thanks guys
I deal with PCCasegear regularly so I will have a look.
I actually prefer a single 80mm fan to the 120 fan but that is just a preference . The 120 blowing upward into the psu then the air exhausting at right angles does not appear to be condusive to airflow . but the fortron I had had a yate loon 120mm medium speed fan on a speed control of some sort and was quiet until the case got hot.then got a little louder than I would like.

Arcanthis

Post by Arcanthis » Mon May 30, 2005 4:30 am

I picked up a "Thermaltake" TR2-430 for AUS$99. This has the dual 80mm fans in line that I was after. Seems pretty quiet so far, just the very quiet sound of airflow, no rattling, rumble or whine. Sound level is close to the Zalman 7000Cu running at minimum on a fanmate. One note, this is the second PSU as the first one was working one day, then dead the next...

I intend to pick up one of the Antec SmartPower 2's when they become locally available for comparison since these run only one fan until hot unlike the TR2 which runs both fans all the time.

While both of these are from the 'cheap' product lines from these vendors, I much prefer the dual inline fan orientation design compared to most others.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon May 30, 2005 6:31 am

I have an antec smartpower 2.0. I ordered it as soon as it came out because I wanted inline fans. Its very quiet with a 15mm thick fan as intake and a 25mm thick exhaust fan. Plus it has detachable cables which is really a plus. I guess the smartpower line is an entry level psu, but it has a unique fan setup and of course the detachable cables.

I aslo bought a FSP530 which has an inline fan arrangement. It is kind of noisy but I plan to modify it based on the smartpower features. I think the smartpower will turn out to be a great power supply, but the 120mm psu's are much more popular. - FG

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon May 30, 2005 11:12 am

I aslo bought a FSP530
I have always liked the Fortron PSUs (even my old 250watt AT psu which by the way still works) but This particular model that I have been using does not seem to have the same build quality. Although it was working fine till I put a AGP GF.6800 ultra in the machine (75 watt video card I have been informed but I am unsure if that is correct , I find it hard to believe, thats more like numbers for a CPU) but it does run hot (very hot)
Currently I have the machine running with the original factory PSU that came with my Sonata case (380 watt I believe) and It is holding it's voltages pretty well but the cables are very long and in my mATX case causes a lot of clutter.
but even this psu is heating up pretty bad as the fan seems to spin up really quickly and pretty loud (the psu was not intended to be put in a compact case like these).

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon May 30, 2005 4:30 pm

One thing about this is I now have a pretty good case fan (at 5v)
The fan from the psu was a Yate Loon :- D12BM-12 which although it has a bit of whine at 12v is pretty quiet at 5v (no fan monitoring and closed corners)
I am at present looking at an FSP - 500 psu available localy for $100 but it has a S***ty transparent fan that although it is quiet has an annoying growl to it .
Considering putting the Yate Loon in it as it was quiet on a thermal control until it warmed up too much .
500 watts is total overkill but it is cheaper than a comparable 400watter. 20 pin connector only no sli connector etc but my mobo is socket 478 and does not need these although it is a dead end (not suitable to upgrade) but so is the case.

retrofitter

Post by retrofitter » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 pm

frankgehry, I am also interested in the smartpower2.0 mainly because it has the 2x 80mm fans, though I cannot find any pics of the insides, etc.
What is the configuration of the connectors?
How noisy is it etc, what rpm does the fan run at at what loads etc.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:06 pm

Some pics of the Smart power 2 would be nice as it seems like it could be suitable to me from what I have been reading.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:56 pm

I posted photos and a description for it a while ago. They should still be around under smartpower 2.0

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks I will do a search - I thought that they were new.