Phantom owners question about heat

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

technarch

Phantom owners question about heat

Post by technarch » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:17 pm

I was wondering, when your supply runs warm, do you find that it generates a mild odour? Not a burning smell, but an electronics smell?

Unless it's some of the other junk surrounding me. I think it's the PSU though.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Most new electronic components give off a smell from some of the chemicals they've been treated with (like flame retardants). It's most likely that.

Don't go on a sniffing binge though, some of those chemicals are quite potent and not meant for human consumption (you'd be amazed to hear what kind of stuff is still allowed to be used in consumer products).

How's your Phantom otherwise?

Any buzzing noises?
Last edited by halcyon on Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

technarch

Post by technarch » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:04 pm

I do know unfortunately.. I happen to be chemically sensitive. :( Mostly hydrocarbon solvents though (can cause a problem with aerosol air fresheners often, look at the MSDS those are petroleum sprays). However my new futon has this acrid 'sweet' smell that doesn't seem to go away despite being nearly 2 months now, and does affect me. I'm not sure what it is, I hope it's not formaldehyde or something. Sorry for rambling, let's get to the point here.

Anyways I hope it goes away.. 'old' power supplies from years ago don't have a smell. I don't know if that's because they cooked away ages ago, or if because back then they didn't use those chemicals.

I decided to do some temperature testing.. the thermistor says air temp is about 25 C near the surface of my desk, 24 a few inches up. I have no idea how accurate that is, it is definitely above 20 though and is probably relatively accurate as the weather report says 23 C outdoors 15 minutes ago by the airport..

On the top sides of the phantom I get a temp of approx 42 C with the case open (That's about 107.6 F for non-metric folk).

So I guess the Phantom isn't melting as it's specs says it can go up to ambient temperature of 65 C and ambient is about 24-25 right about now.. I bet it would go up to about 35 the minute I close the case though.. so if I remember right, that 110 degree meltdown mode is not in F but C, so there's a fair bit of wiggle room here. Should be interesting to see how it is with the case closed, but I want to defan the video card first. So probably the thing would be at 50 C closed up.

I picked up an old lian-li dual temperature probe 5.25 panel for cheap a while ago.. battery powered. Very basic, nothing but 2 probes and 2 readouts in an aluminum panel which doesn't match my computer. Heh.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:37 pm

My phantom did not emit an odor. My phantom though doesnt even get warm, I have water cooling on the CPU and GPU, which means it isnt getting slammed with heat from the system in any noticable way. This heats it up more than load, its super efficient, and super reliable, its really like the best thing i have bought for my computer hobbying in years.