Sparkle Power Supplies Power Ratings Question

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ecsdude

Sparkle Power Supplies Power Ratings Question

Post by ecsdude » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:08 pm

I just noticed that on the two power supplies I have, FSP300-60PN and FS300-60ATV, both of which are supposed to be +12==18.0A, the stickers actually say +12==15.0A. I bought the PN model from Newegg and their pic and specs show +12==18.0A, yet the one I have doesn't say that. The ATV model, according to the Sparkle specs, is supposed to be +12==18.0A as well, but again the sticker shows +12==15.0A..

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing. Thanks.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:12 pm

I haven't encountered this problem, but clearly they're lying. Sparkle is rebadging (or even distributing) Fortron PSUs, and if Fortron says its 15A, I believe them.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:28 pm

There may be confusion and info mismanagement, but I don't think they're deliberately lying. Sparkle actually happens to be part of the Fortron Source Power Group -- they were, for a long time, FSP's US distribution arm, IIRC. Now both Sparkle and Fortron offices are in the US. There was talk of a split, a couple years ago, but the crisis may have passed.

Note this FSB page where Sparkle is listed as the "North California Office" and FSP Group USA is listed as the "South California Office":
http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/05_ ... office.asp

ecsdude

Post by ecsdude » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:00 pm

so should I believe the sticker on the PS or the specs at Newegg and the spec sheets on Sparkle's website? I don't have any gadgets to check these ratings myself.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:37 pm

Well, Newegg's screenshot definitely shows the FSP300-60PN model number and 18A on the +12V line, so that seems to be proof that there was an 18A version at some point. Are you certain you've been shipped the correct model?

If you do have the correct model, then it could just be that you have a different revision. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much unless you really think you're going to be drawing more than 12V x 15A = 180W on the +12V rail. Personally, I find it highly unlikely unless you have a heavy duty gaming setup, and even then only if you're using a high end P4.

Rest assured that for most practical purposes, the minor quibble in specifications (which can be quite ... subjective sometimes) is probably irrelevant.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:48 am

I don't see any mention of the power supplies being bought recently.
Devonavar wrote: In any case, I wouldn't worry too much unless you really think you're going to be drawing more than 12V x 15A = 180W on the +12V rail.
But if you want to cut back the cooling, then some extra headroom would probably be a good idea. Of course, with an older PC that uses a lot of 5volt power, the stronger 5volt rail of an older fortron should be more beneficial.