overture2 PSU crazy loud

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

nathantuck

overture2 PSU crazy loud

Post by nathantuck » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:42 pm

I just put together an Overture2 system with the 450W PSU and the PSU is loud enough that I can hear it from two rooms away. Is this normal for the SmartPower 2 450W PSU, or do I need to get in touch with Antec? The large fan on the bottom of the PSU seems to be the source of the noise and it seems to be sucking like a vacuum cleaner. My MB claims it is running at 2766 RPM. System temperatures seem to be about 36-37C.

Any suggestions?

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:26 pm

You could go for an RMA, and in doing so have a good chance of getting a quieter PSU. But, you'll be without a PSU for a while, and the replacement might not be any quieter...

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:29 pm

Three things:

1: You need to provide us with more details about your system if you want us to help you. Your case, CPU and VGA card, plus any other system fans are the most important, but a complete profile is best.

2: Are you sure you have a SmartPower II? This PSU has a "straight-through" airflow design; there is no "bottom fan".

3: There is a known issue with the fan monitoring circuit on the SmartPower II, where it runs at full speed when you connect the fan monitor wire. Solution: Don't use the RPM monitor, and your PSU should be much quieter.

Oh, and Welcome to SPCR!!!!!!!!!!!!

nathantuck

thanks

Post by nathantuck » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:46 pm

D - Thanks very much. You were absolutely right that I had the fan monitoring cable attached and that was causing the PSU to run full blast. Disconnecting it fixed everything. I think the SmartPower 2 has been modified for the Overture2 again, similar to the TruePower 380.

I didn't think it mattered what the rest of my system was, since the PSU was obviously the problem. But just for grins it is an ECS NF4 with a fanless 6200, a Hauppage 250, 1GB of RAM, and a 90nm AMD 3000+. The only thing that is noticeably audible now is the small chipset fan, which is probably going to get replaced.

Thanks again.