Quiet A-PFC PSU, with straight-through fan and EPS12V?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 am

Seems like such a waste to just send em back w/o even plugging one in... Ah well, your call, obviously.

Mellman

Post by Mellman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:01 am

true - it does seem like a waste - but it would be even more of a hassle if it didnt work at all - and ended up frying his brand new dual opteron stuff. THAT would suck.

Atragon

Post by Atragon » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:58 am

Just to chime in, I'm also assembling a dual opteron system but for a slightly different purpose.

I'm building it as a central server for my home network that will act as a fileserver/domain controller/media encoding (may as well use that second CPU for something...)

Current specs are:
Tyan K8SE
2x Opteron 246
4x512MB ECC Registered PC3200
1x 80GB SATA (samsung spinpoint or seagate 7200.7 or .8)
2x 200GB HDD
Onboard RageXL video
Onboard NIC

Eventually I would want to add a 12-port SATA RAID controller and 10 or so large (300GB+) SATA drives, but that's for later.

Right now I'm looking for a power supply with similar specs to the parent's desires, though I could live with a 120mm bottom fan since I will probably be going for a Chenbro SR103 case instead of the SR107 due to the increased potential number of hard drives. I'm thinking to get a PSU that will handle the system at its current specs with a little room for expansion and upgrade later when I add additional storage.

So far I've looked at the phantom 500, the Seasonic S12s (430, 500, and 600), the Coolermaster Real Power 550, and have at least glanced at the Antec True 550 EPS12V.

At the same time however, none of the listed PSUs have modular cabling which is of definate interest to me to reduce cable clutter, however in the size of the enclosure I'll be using, this is definately a much lower priority than getting a PSU that can provide my needs.

seasonicUSA
-- Vendor --

Anout Seasonic refurbished product

Post by seasonicUSA » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Announcement from Seasonic Electronics, Inc

About Seasonic Super Silencer 460W refurbished item-Irianta Case

First, Seasonic would like to take this chance to thank you all for your favor.
The update on this case is that we had contacted Irianta to get the units back for investigation. The units are in transit now.
After the units are received, all operation procedures will be reviewed and reports and corrective action will be taken once the root cause is confirmed.
In the mean time, should you have any question or comments, please feel free to write to us at: [email protected]

Irianta

Post by Irianta » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:26 am

I would like to say that Seasonic has been really nice about this. Their communication has been prompt and professional. Good going, Seasonic :)

seasonicUSA
-- Vendor --

Anout Seasonic refurbished product

Post by seasonicUSA » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:44 pm

Announcement from Seasonic Electronics, Inc

About Seasonic Super Silencer 460W refurbished item - Irianta Case

We have determined that this problem was caused by an unusual set of unfortunate circumstances whereby products targeted for disposal were erroneously shipped to Irianta. Seasonic customer service provided prompt refund to the customer, and we have taken steps to ensure this error never happens again.

Please feel free to contact Seasonic with any concern
E-mail: [email protected]

Thank all of you for favoring Seasonic Electronics, Inc

Irianta

Post by Irianta » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:52 pm

Seasonic's been pretty professional about this. There was an assuring sense of urgency in the emails I got from them when I first approached them about this issue. I'm very glad they've taken this stuff seriously, and that they've communicated about what's going on.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:32 pm

How do you think a Seasonic S12 500/600W PSU would stack up against a 500/500W NeoHe?

revolt

Post by revolt » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:39 pm

Irianta....

What PSU did you end up getting? ... I'm in a similar boat as you as I plan on getting a Chenbro SR107 as well ... so far my plans are to get:

2 x Opteron 248s ... will upgrade to dual core when prices come down
2 GB RAM
Supermicro H8DCE (needs 24 + 8 + 4 pin)
SLi in future
~4 SATA drives + 2 optical drives

I'm leaning towards the Fortron/Sparkle FSP550-60PLG or FSP550-SLI since they seem to be recommended by Chenbro ... but I would like to know how loud the fan is...

I guess other options I could look into are the Ablecom (Supermicro) 645 low noise PSU and perhaps some of the models from Zippy. Then there is the Silverstone Zeus ... but I think it is pretty loud...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 pm

jermaink wrote:How do you think a Seasonic S12 500/600W PSU would stack up against a 500/500W NeoHe?
The S12 500/600 are in a higher class. They are really tough to beat by almost any way you want to gauge a high power PSU -- except bling, of course.

Irianta

Post by Irianta » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:06 pm

revolt wrote:Irianta....

What PSU did you end up getting? ... I'm in a similar boat as you as I plan on getting a Chenbro SR107 as well ... so far my plans are to get:

<snip a cool system>

I'm leaning towards the Fortron/Sparkle FSP550-60PLG or FSP550-SLI since they seem to be recommended by Chenbro ... but I would like to know how loud the fan is...

I guess other options I could look into are the Ablecom (Supermicro) 645 low noise PSU and perhaps some of the models from Zippy. Then there is the Silverstone Zeus ... but I think it is pretty loud...
I ended up getting a pair of Fortron-Source FSP550-60PLNs. They were cheap, available quickly, and they're good workhorse power supplies. I've no complaints about their performance as suppliers of power. Unfortunately they are loud. They're easily the loudest parts in our systems, even though they're running very cool and the fan rarely speeds up from the minimum.

They are, at best, interim solutions, but pretty good ones at that.

Obviously I'm still waiting for a good power supply to come out now that Seasonic has phased out the Super Silencers. Antec's NeoHE models seem pretty good - albeit I was hoping for something better -- and would work just as well as Seasonic's rev. 3 Super Silencers. The great part about these Fortrons, however, is that there's no warranty-voiding sticker preventing you from opening them up and doing a little fan surgery on them. There isn't really that much more going for the Seasonic or the Antec that'd warrant the hassle of buying new power supplies over modifying the existing ones. In other words, I think that a modified Fortron is "good enough" until something better comes along.

If you're in the market for a PSU now though, do take a look at the NeoHE models, or the rev. 3 Super Silencers. Just don't buy refurbs ;)

If you're curious you can read up on my adventures with this project in the General Gallery.

Lots of pictures in that thread, too :)