Swap Antec's TruePower fans for Yate Loonies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Deathlife

Swap Antec's TruePower fans for Yate Loonies

Post by Deathlife » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:08 am

I wonder if for Antec's Trupower 430W stock fans (one 92mm and another 80mm, temperature controlled) for Silencio's Yate Loons would make a significant noise reduction (plugin in directly to the 2 pin molex without any resistance), could it cause trouble when the PSU's canges the voltage according to the temperature?
I've opened the PSU this morning and I found both fans where actualy "Dynaeon" rated at 0.20A and 0.25A@12V the 8 and 9cm fan respectively.

However, i'm not sure what model is:
http://www.dynaeon.com/english/products ... fan/dc.asp

Both fans are connected by two, "2 pin" molex that end up in a 3 molex (in Y fashion).

However, I'm afraid that the absence of a resistor will make the fans run at 12V (or other high voltages which would make a hell lot of noise), so I would like to know if I would need a variable resistor before pluging the fan to the PSU.

Thanks.

:D

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:15 am

I was looking in Google for the actual models and.. surprise suprise.. It took me to SCPR!! :D

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article58-page1.html

The actual fans:DF1208BA 80x25 mm 39.0 34dB(A)@1m 2900rpm
0.20A

DF1209BA 92x25 mm 57.1cfm 35.8dB(A)@1m 3000rpm
0.25A

I cannot understand why many people say this PSU is quiet.. NO WAY! Look at the specs. :shock:

What voltage's does the PSU's give to the fans? (I know it varies but I just want aproximation)

scara

Post by scara » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:10 am

I used to use a TP 480w and tried various fan-swaps in that to quieten it down. In the end I gave up as I had to run the fans too fast to keep it cool (exhaust temp under 50C). I strongly recommend that you consider selling the TP and replacing it with something known to be efficient and quiet. Having said that, some people have done a fan swap and found the noise/cooling acceptable. It depends on how much load you're putting on the PSU and how quiet the rest of your system is.

Regarding the resistor, I don't think you need one. Just splice the wires and the new fans will run at 6v or whatever. The problem with this is that the replacement fans are likely much slower than the originals. Your PSU will either simply run hot or ramp the fans up to cool itself, at which point it becomes as noisy as it always was.

In the review of the TP550w the fan voltage varied between 5 and 7 volts for 90-300w loads so I think its safe to say that the fans run at 6v (thats what I worked on anyway).

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:48 am

scara wrote:I used to use a TP 480w and tried various fan-swaps in that to quieten it down. In the end I gave up as I had to run the fans too fast to keep it cool (exhaust temp under 50C). I strongly recommend that you consider selling the TP and replacing it with something known to be efficient and quiet. Having said that, some people have done a fan swap and found the noise/cooling acceptable. It depends on how much load you're putting on the PSU and how quiet the rest of your system is.

Regarding the resistor, I don't think you need one. Just splice the wires and the new fans will run at 6v or whatever. The problem with this is that the replacement fans are likely much slower than the originals. Your PSU will either simply run hot or ramp the fans up to cool itself, at which point it becomes as noisy as it always was.

In the review of the TP550w the fan voltage varied between 5 and 7 volts for 90-300w loads so I think its safe to say that the fans run at 6v (thats what I worked on anyway).
Now that I check, Yate Loon 92mm pushes 32.35cfm vs 57.1cfm and the 80mm 25.3cfm vs 39.0cfm of the stock fan. Which fans you used? Also, if the airflow isn't enough, wont the PSU adapt the voltage to lower the temperature back? By which fan you tried to replace the PSU?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buy a new PSU, this will go to the secondary computer, but I thought it was worth changing the fans. :shock:

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm

It the antec tp is like the enermax, the bottom fan can be taken out (assuming you have good case exhaust). Move the psu exhaust fan to the front (cable end). With the fan inside the case it will be quieter. A yate loon D80SM-12 is rated at 2200rpm which should be slower than the dynaeon but faster than a nexus. An 80x15mm fan at 1100rpm cools my sp2.0 500w so a single 80x25 should be able to cool a tp.

This solution has two 80's in front -
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15726

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:32 am

I'm gonna go for it. I've ordered to Sielncio a 9cm and 8cm fan with 2 pin molex (on top of other things).

I'll keep you informed.

scara

Post by scara » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:48 am

Deathlife wrote:Now that I check, Yate Loon 92mm pushes 32.35cfm vs 57.1cfm and the 80mm 25.3cfm vs 39.0cfm of the stock fan. Which fans you used? Also, if the airflow isn't enough, wont the PSU adapt the voltage to lower the temperature back? By which fan you tried to replace the PSU?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buy a new PSU, this will go to the secondary computer, but I thought it was worth changing the fans. :shock:
Yes, the PSU should adapt the voltage to keep itself cool. The voltage it uses however is based on the assumption of the original fan's specifications. This will leave your PSU nearly always running hotter than it should, due to the low voltage variation over normal loads.

I used a Nexus 92mm and a Panaflo 80L1A. I tried using both fans, single fans and ducts to keep the PSU intake air cool. I did get an improvement but it wasn't much and so I bought a new PSU. If you're putting it in a secondary computer than I would try to get semi-quiet fans that have similar cfm ratings to the Dynaeons. This is to maintain the airflow level but eliminate the motor noise, which I think is the biggest problem with these fans. It won't make for a really quiet PSU, but it should be good enough for a secondary system.

Deathlife

Post by Deathlife » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:14 am

scara wrote:
Deathlife wrote:Now that I check, Yate Loon 92mm pushes 32.35cfm vs 57.1cfm and the 80mm 25.3cfm vs 39.0cfm of the stock fan. Which fans you used? Also, if the airflow isn't enough, wont the PSU adapt the voltage to lower the temperature back? By which fan you tried to replace the PSU?

Yes, the PSU should adapt the voltage to keep itself cool. The voltage it uses however is based on the assumption of the original fan's specifications. This will leave your PSU nearly always running hotter than it should, due to the low voltage variation over normal loads.

I used a Nexus 92mm and a Panaflo 80L1A. I tried using both fans, single fans and ducts to keep the PSU intake air cool. I did get an improvement but it wasn't much and so I bought a new PSU. If you're putting it in a secondary computer than I would try to get semi-quiet fans that have similar cfm ratings to the Dynaeons. This is to maintain the airflow level but eliminate the motor noise, which I think is the biggest problem with these fans. It won't make for a really quiet PSU, but it should be good enough for a secondary system.
Anyway, I don't mind the PSU running hot as long as it resists well. I think these fans should do well, as the stock funs run quite at low rpm, maybe these new fans make the PSU to run them at higher voltage to have a fair amount of airflow. If it doesnt work, there would be 13€ thrown away, but at least I would have tried. :lol: Bare on mind this Yate Loonies have a higher airflow than both the Nexus and the Panaflo.