Antec NeoHE "High-Efficiency"

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tumlehund

Post by Tumlehund » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:56 am

oracle00 wrote:how would i be able to identify which is the updated model and which was the old model that had problems with the asus board?
I'm very curious about this as well. Let's hope Hellspawn can provide som details. Hopefully next week.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:23 am

Having been through the rpm monitor wire ramp up problem with the smartpower 2.0 there are probably three sets of serial numbers. The early ones that have have never been fixed, those that have been modified and supposedly fixed, and new ones that have been manufactured with the fix, if in fact they know of all the incompatibility issues. If antec support has to test each one before shipping them out, there must still be some confusion about the problem. Support identified the problem sp 2.0 units by batches and serial numbers, so tech support must have a list of good and bad serial numbers. -

Antec will probably use the neo he 550w spcr review to announce that the problem has been corrected, but there will still be many units in sales channels that have not been modified.
Last edited by frankgehry on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:26 am

Using a PSU calculator it seems a p4 slightly loaded system with an ATI 9700 PRO can max out the 5V line.

http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PcbAIdXdSBgHQT5U ... MP&english

oracle00

Post by oracle00 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:52 pm

oracle00 wrote:hi... so as of now, the antec neohe issue has not been resolved yet? in any event, if i am buying a new antech neohe, how would i be able to identify which is the updated model and which was the old model that had problems with the asus board?

someone mentioned that the psu also have issues with abit's motherboard? what motherboard is that and what's the issue?

thanks guys for any info that you can shed on this!
hi guys.. sorry to sound naggy :oops: but would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the above as soon as possible... me thinking of building a new rig with the antec neohe psu soon... thanks!! :D

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:00 pm

oracle00 wrote:
oracle00 wrote:hi... so as of now, the antec neohe issue has not been resolved yet? in any event, if i am buying a new antech neohe, how would i be able to identify which is the updated model and which was the old model that had problems with the asus board?

someone mentioned that the psu also have issues with abit's motherboard? what motherboard is that and what's the issue?

hi guys.. sorry to sound naggy :oops: but would appreciate if someone can shed some light on the above as soon as possible... me thinking of building a new rig with the antec neohe psu soon... thanks!! :D
Your going to have to wait for them to start shipping and the supply chain to run out? Otherwise buy one and then call for an RMA. Its still a new problem getting resolved so I dunno if I'd bother right now. Are the new video cards 12v powered only? I'm still concerned about having less than 20A on the 5V line.

qirtasiye

Post by qirtasiye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Having read all the posts,
I wonder why Antec Neo HE psus are low on 3.3vs and 5vs, to me it's strange...anyways...

Do you think Enermax NoiseTaker 495P (485watts) is a good (ok, let's say compatible) fit to Asus A8N-SLI Premium :?:

thnks

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:20 am

jldet5 wrote:
oracle00 wrote:

Your going to have to wait for them to start shipping and the supply chain to run out? Otherwise buy one and then call for an RMA. Its still a new problem getting resolved so I dunno if I'd bother right now. Are the new video cards 12v powered only? I'm still concerned about having less than 20A on the 5V line.
They are hand-testing them at this point with certain boards. It's in the very early stages of a resolution it sounds. Mine will arrive on Monday and is supposedly tested good the day of shipment. If it doesnt boot my boards (3rd one in a row if it doesn't), then I'm going to say the hell with the p150/neo430 RMA it back to newegg and get a sonata II at compusa or something.

As far as when the updated ones will appear in retail boxes at places like newegg, compusa, and others, who knows? Months most likely. Same for the p150 case, most likely months before you can get one from a vendor with the newer unit. Also, buying the retail box you have a better chance of knowing what PSU you are getting (when/if they announce how to check before purchase). Of course that is all out the window when buying online from most places, as they have stuff in the warehouse where they can't just check serials for you.

Best best is to get one if you want it, then call antec and raise holy hell and get their attention and a tested unit sent to you if you have problems with it powering up your mobo. Some don't have problems. My abit an8-ultra, asus p5ld2, p5gdc deluxe and intel d945pvs all would NOT post with that PSU.

Monday will tell if the new PSU will boot them.

rei

Post by rei » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:11 pm

Hmm, the NeoHE 500's chirping/buzzing during 3D activity (power fed through a PCIE adapter is quite pronounced/loud. :/

Do you guys think exchanging it would help? Or would the same video card's power draw buzz equally as bad on another specimen?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Sounds like the neo he line is not going to be their brightest shining star.. I'm interested to see what Monday brings with the replacement unit, but I'm not holding my breath.

My system:

asus p5gdc deluxe
p4 650 (3.4ghz emt64)
2gb ddr
74gb raptor
Sound Blaster 2zs
supra pci le modem (backup)
BFG 7800 GT OC
Liteon DVD-rom
Liteon DVD-RW /-
Scythe Ninja w/ Nexus 120mm w/ fanmate 2
tricool 120mm rear fan

I'd say this system is in the moderately loaded segment, it's not sli or raid, but we shall see if the new one POSTS me or P!SSES me.

LDRunner

Post by LDRunner » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:58 am

w00dy wrote:To qualify the issue further I have NOT had a crash in Windows / general browsing etc yet.

The PSU has turned off twice during gameplay - World of Warcraft - once after 40 mins and once after 15 mins. No warning, no blue screen, just turns itself off.

Hope Antec can sort this problem soon - dont really want to undo all the build again !

(PS: Just double checked again to be safe - screen printed on the PCB of the Motherboard is Rev 1.02)
I am having the same problem with COD2. I plugged in a Molex connector to the EZ-Plug and no problems running 3DMark05. I'm going to play some COD2 now and see if I get a shut down. Anyone know if using the EZ-Plug and the PCI-E connector is hurting any of the components?

LDRunner

Post by LDRunner » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:17 pm

Wishful thinking ...

Shut down during COD2 and while doing some 2D stuff. Man I don't want to take my Ninja heatsink off to replace the PSU. :x

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:26 pm

I was experiencing shutdowns using an Asus A8N-E MB with Seasonic S12-380 PSU. The PSU was attached to a APC ES 725 UPS. Right before the shutdown I was get an error message that said my UPS was drained and then it instantly shut down. This message only lasted a brief instant before shutdown, so it was sometimes hard to see. The battery was never really drained, but for some reason the UPS control software in Windows was getting confused. I am using the Microsoft UPS drivers and not the drivers that come from APC.

To resolve the problem, I changed my power settings in Windows to not shut down even when the battery is at critical levels, and I have not had any shutdowns since then.

I think it may have something to do with the Seasonic having Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) and the way that Seasonic implements it that the APC UPS cannot handle properly. The Antec NeoHE also has Active PFC and I have heard that it is actually made by Seasonic.

So try changing your Windows power settings to not shut down when battery levels are critical and see if corrects the problem, like it did on my PSU.

S1mon

Post by S1mon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:11 pm

I logged a ticket with Antec support and the response was that a TruePower 2.0 would be more suited to my system (I'm not even running SLI).....

There was no acknowledgment that there was even a problem with the NEO HE.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:04 pm

Maybe antec should withdraw their neo he 550w sample at spcr and submit a truepower 2.0 480w for review instead. Its obvious that after all this time they haven't sorted the problem out. And yet they still advertise greater than 80% efficiency. What a joke. - FG

S1mon

Post by S1mon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 pm

To be fair, mine is spending a lot of time at 100% efficiency - it draws 0W and outputs 0W :lol: :roll:

I think I'll wait for Hellspawn to report back on his new unit (thanks Hellspawn!!) before deciding for sure, but right now I'm tempted to try my luck with returning it and asking for a Seasonic instead.

It's too bad - the modular cables and the straight through ventilation is great.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:31 pm

S1mon wrote:To be fair, mine is spending a lot of time at 100% efficiency - it draws 0W and outputs 0W :lol: :roll:

I think I'll wait for Hellspawn to report back on his new unit (thanks Hellspawn!!) before deciding for sure, but right now I'm tempted to try my luck with returning it and asking for a Seasonic instead.

It's too bad - the modular cables and the straight through ventilation is great.
I most definitely will be checking in tomorrow night. Antec tech support said this is the first 'revised' unit being shipped out. He did not know what was 'fixed' or 'adjusted' in it (I did press him), but just replied 'lets see if this doesn't get you up and running'.

Ask for the guy at ext. 302, Roscoe, he knows all about this no post issue or as also described 'powering off after about 30 seconds or so'.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:30 am

ok, now im very anxious to hear how yours works. if it does, im calling antec again tonight and getting on there ass that i need a replacement.

if not i need to find a killer to hire to assassinate the entire line of people responsible for the NeoHE :P :shock: :D lol

but seriously this is getting annoying.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:01 am

klankymen wrote:ok, now im very anxious to hear how yours works. if it does, im calling antec again tonight and getting on there ass that i need a replacement.

if not i need to find a killer to hire to assassinate the entire line of people responsible for the NeoHE :P :shock: :D lol

but seriously this is getting annoying.
I'll have a busy late afternoon / evening, as I will try each board I have regardless of whether or not the Asus P5GDC (orig. board that would not power up with the first PSU that came in the P150) powers up.

I'm hoping for success, but if not, I'm done with the P150 and the Neo. I can't in good faith pay 160 for a case , chuck the supply and put out another $75-100. I'll be either getting a Sonata II or going back to the 3700 BQE / season s12-430 combo I have now.

More later, as the package is on the UPS truck now, 'out for delivery'.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:58 pm

well, i recieved word from antec today also, saying they have a working PSU for me, and i sent in my RMA today.

my contact person was Don MacAgba, and he seems to be informed about the new version and all.

but if you consider time for them to process my RMA, ground shipping, and the army getting the package overseas to my APO address, i'll have the PSU in about 2 weeks.

Oh well. :roll:

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:09 pm

UPDATE:

Upon initial testing, this revised unit, which arrived in a brand new retail box and all accessories and cables sealed, DOES power-up and post/boot into windows on my ABit AN8 Ultra, moderately loaded system. The Neo HE 430 would not power up this board with the other units.

I do consider this good news, but I will be testing it with a mobo swap later tonight to the original board that I discovered the problem with, the Asus P5GDC Deluxe.

Cliffs Notes: New unit received in retail box, powers up Abit An8 ultra system which previously would not boot.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:14 pm

hmmmm, I don't know if your the gaming type or not, but i wonder if you could try some high end 3d game (CoD2, HL2, BF2...) for stability? or maybe just a 3dmark-cpuburn combo?

because my computer would crash within 30 seconds with a load like that.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm

Actually I just came off a 20 minute run of Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I'll go check out F.E.A.R. now and try a cpu burn afterwards..

so far so good on this board.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:13 pm

damn, nice! well, even if the new antec doesnt run NFSMW for me, no worries, i just beat it allready :P

but seriously, that is definitely reassuring to me, I can bear the wait if it means 100% functionality afterwards. well, be sure to keep us posted! :wink:

qirtasiye

Post by qirtasiye » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:02 pm

QUESTION:
So what is the deal here?
In order to buy a working ANTEC NEO HE.
1- I've to purchase an antec psu from newegg, then
2- Call antec and complain about it, then
3- RMA the psu to ANTEC and then
4- Receive your NEW and RUNNING %100 unit...

ok it is worth ? is it going to work with Asus A8N-SLi?
or ....... :roll:

rei

Post by rei » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:14 pm

i might have to go this route to get one that doesn't buzz when my video card slurps down the power through the PCI-E power connector.

the amount of buzz/clicking is directly proportionate to how much 3d activity is going on on-screen, it raises in volume in crowded areas in WoW and in Quake 4. if i mouse-look around and the screen pauses as it loads, there is no noise for that brief 1 second as the game loads.

i had originally thought the buzz to be low-frequency and something ignorable but it's quite quite pronounced :/

does antec have advance RMA?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 pm

qirtasiye wrote:QUESTION:
So what is the deal here?
In order to buy a working ANTEC NEO HE.
1- I've to purchase an antec psu from newegg, then
2- Call antec and complain about it, then
3- RMA the psu to ANTEC and then
4- Receive your NEW and RUNNING %100 unit...

ok it is worth ? is it going to work with Asus A8N-SLi?
or ....... :roll:
Well, it depends on what board you have and whether the one you buy powers it up. There are a decent # of boards that are having problems, Asus, Abit, Intel, Soyo, Biostar for sure. If you buy one and it doesn't power up and post your board, your list is about correct. :(

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:19 pm

UPDATE: Well, I've tried to make it shut down with stress tests (CPU burn and 3dmark 05 looped), FEAR, Quake 4 and NFS:MW.

It seems that this revised unit is powering the Abit AN8 Ultra just fine.

It's been about 5 hours now.

Up tomorrow, an Asus A8N-SLI board, the biggest troublemaker according to Antec.

rei

Post by rei » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:31 pm

what video card do you have? does it buzz?

does antec have advance rma?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:50 pm

rei wrote:what video card do you have? does it buzz?

does antec have advance rma?
1. BFG 7800 GT OC , no.
2. Not for end-users.

S1mon

Post by S1mon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:48 am

Hellspawn, thanks for dragging yourself away from playing games long enough to let us know the results. :D Looks hopeful.

However, for myself, I've been in touch with the store that I got my Neo HE from and they have acknowledged that there is a known problem and have offered to let me RMA it and to get a different model instead (probably a Seasonic S12-600).