Antec SL220?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

korinel

Antec SL220?

Post by korinel » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi,

I'm building a small, quiet machine on a budget, and am interested in using the Antec Minuet II Micro-ATX case, as it fulfils my requirements and I have had good experience with Antec products in the past.

I note that it has an SL-220 Smart Power PSU, but there doesn't seem to be any info on it on the Antec site. Does anyone have any experience with this PSU? How quiet does it run? Are there any reliability issues?

All feedback welcome.

Regards,

-Karl

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:15 pm

apparently it can get rather loud (on SPCR standards :wink: )

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:24 pm

nothing a fan swap and a fan controller cant fix.

korinel

Post by korinel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on which fan/controller to use? I can't find any specs for the SL-220, and so don't even know the fan size. I'd prefer to order this all at one.

kingcod

Post by kingcod » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:23 pm

I'm suffering with the noise from my new Antec Minuet II PSU at the moment ... so any advice how to quiten it down would be great. I've unhooked all the other case fans (total over-kill) for my system, but am nervous about delving into the PSU. I read on the Antec website that the PSU is 'smart' somehow, in that is only increases the work is does as the power needs increase. I can't quite believe that my system in standby should make the PSU go hell for leather - but the fan sounds like that is what it is doing.

If I can't shut this thing up I am getting a new PSU. A shame as the purpose of getting this case was for an HTPC on a budget.

Ideas? I'm sure that opening up a PSU is not a good plan ....?

Specs:
Athlon 2800
ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard
Radeon 9250 fanless graphics card
Zalman flower cooler and control-driven fan.
Samsung 250 GB Spinpoint HD
Windows MCE SP2