"My Mutant S12-600" or "Am I going blind?&quo

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thinkingbear

"My Mutant S12-600" or "Am I going blind?&quo

Post by thinkingbear » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:14 pm

Can anyone here that has a Seasonic S12-600 tell me if you have one or two 6-pin PCI-e connectors coming out of your PSU? The picture below shows the entirety of the 6-pin PCI-e connectors coming out of my new "dual PCI-e SLI ready" S12-600, just one:

The review on SPCR shows 2 connectors on one line, the box shows two separate lines, but my PSU is not like either one, it has only one 6-pin connector total. A 20+4, one 8-pin 12V, one 4-pin 12v, the lines with molex and SATA connectors, and 1 6-pin connector. Normal? Do I use the free 8-pin MPU connector with an addapter not supplied?

To make matters worse I hooked up the PSU anyway since I would not be running SLI immediately and now my once good AMD64 4000+ now appears dead (no video and worse no BIOS beeps).

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:52 pm

No, that's not normal. Are you sure you didn't hook one of the PCIe connectors up to the AUX socket on your motherboard?

What you should do depends on how long you want to wait. An adaptor would be quick and relatively inexpensive. But, you should be able to get this RMAed no problem since it's not shipping as advertised.

Does your system work with any other power supplies? Are you sure everything is hooked up correctly and nothing is shorting out?

By the way, welcome to SPCR!!!!!!!!!

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:26 pm

I have the older s12-600 with 1 pci-e connector. the other main difference is that the older model has a 24 pin main connector vs the 20+4 pin. Except for the stickers, the box is the same, so maybe an older psu got stuckin the box.
Unplug your psu, and carefully re check all your connections including fan controllers. Plug in, turn off and on waiting a 2 sec between a few times. that should reset the circuit breaker. You most likely have something plugged in wrong some where. I did and it powered off immeadiatly and would not start again(trpped). Kept doing it until I solved the problem.

thinkingbear

Post by thinkingbear » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:30 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions fellas. I checked all that already and even went so far as to reseat the CPU and try another video card but to no avail. I called Seasonic and was pleasantly surprised to not only have the phone answered, but then the person that answered actually tried to help me without shuffling me off to someone else. Turns out GlassMan had it right, sounded to the guy I spoke to like an older model S12-600 that got put into a newer box. He apologized profusely and asked me to RMA it to them for replacement. Ruling out the PSU as a faulty freak of manufacturing left me with a dead CPU or faulty mobo, so a quick run to Fry's, dropped in a new CPU and now I'm good to go. My old CPU was good a few days ago, a 6 month old AMD 4000+, and I come to find out that AMD does not warranty any OEM processors at all except those they sell themselves meaning not mine :( Caveat Emptor, only buying retail AMD CPU's from now on. Thanks again GlassMan and Devonavar

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:09 am

thinkingbear wrote:Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions fellas. I checked all that already and even went so far as to reseat the CPU and try another video card but to no avail. I called Seasonic and was pleasantly surprised to not only have the phone answered, but then the person that answered actually tried to help me without shuffling me off to someone else. Turns out GlassMan had it right, sounded to the guy I spoke to like an older model S12-600 that got put into a newer box. He apologized profusely and asked me to RMA it to them for replacement. Ruling out the PSU as a faulty freak of manufacturing left me with a dead CPU or faulty mobo, so a quick run to Fry's, dropped in a new CPU and now I'm good to go. My old CPU was good a few days ago, a 6 month old AMD 4000+, and I come to find out that AMD does not warranty any OEM processors at all except those they sell themselves meaning not mine :( Caveat Emptor, only buying retail AMD CPU's from now on. Thanks again GlassMan and Devonavar
Who did you buy the OEM procesor from? You should contact them to see if they offer any waranty etc. Most reputable stores do.

douga

Post by douga » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 am

thinkingbear wrote: ... I come to find out that AMD does not warranty any OEM processors at all except those they sell themselves meaning not mine :(
Not only that, but if I'm reading my AMD literature correctly, AMD does not warranty the CPU if you use any CPU cooler except the one that comes in the box.

thinkingbear

Post by thinkingbear » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:30 am

Vulcan wrote:Who did you buy the OEM procesor from? You should contact them to see if they offer any waranty etc. Most reputable stores do.
Bought from Monarch Computers with a 90 day warranty....7 months ago. And yes, AMD will only warranty retail CPUs that used their stock cooler, but they really have no way to know. I'm not bitter because this gives me a reason to go dual core, only a retail CPU this time just in case :lol: