How to turn a Zalman into a Nexus ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Tulip

How to turn a Zalman into a Nexus ?

Post by Tulip » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:09 am

I've been an extremely satisfied user of the Zalman ZM300-AFC Power Supply for the last months. It's extremely quiet but in a quiet environment, not quiet enough, there being a wind rushing sound coming from the exhaust fan, which can be really annoying as it's the ONLY noise being made by the PC. Stop the Power Supply fan, and the PC (Pentium 4 1.8A etc.) is Noiseless.

Reading the Nexus review it dawned on me that the Zalman and Nexus are "basically" the same animal, even using the same case and fan. MikeC stated that the fan on the Nexus runs at a lower voltage than the Zalman (4V vs 5V if I remember correctly), so what is the cheapest/easiest way of changing this ? Adding a resistor into the live connection would probably suffice, but what value of resistor should I use?

If necessary, i'd be willing to change the fan, possibly for a Papst which is easy to obtain here in Germany. This would also allow me to add fanspeed monitoring capability which is not available with the Stock Fan, but maybe someone know if the Stock Fan has fanspeed monitoring, but just hasn't been wired up ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:27 am

the cheapest/easiest way of changing this ? Adding a resistor into the live connection would probably suffice, but what value of resistor should I use?
Try 25-30 ohms. I think I used that to get a 1V drop. They are the same fan, just on different thermal control circuits.