Achieving 100% Efficiency (or close to)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

When do you think a 90+ efficient power supply will be come to everyday consumers?

No votes
10%
35%
2009+
55%

Total votes: 20

shyster.

Achieving 100% Efficiency (or close to)

Post by shyster. » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:10 pm

Hey all!

When do you think a 90%+ efficient power supply will be achieved? At least economically feasible and available to end consumers and SPCRers like ourselves. With programmes like the 80-plus one and a more stringent energy star coming up, how soon will we see PSUs producing almost no heat? The prospect of one is exciting because these types of PSUs will probably be able to run passively and still be stable, and will probably save a bit of money when your computer is running 24/7 (and folding). So when do you think we'll see these in retail stores?

A poll for all!

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:16 pm

its taken a long time to get to 80+ (hasnt it been over 30 years?)...

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:50 pm

To be honest, I don't think there will be as much of a push for higher efficiency power supplies in the future as there has been over the last few years. Intel and AMD have both recognized the power issue and are making the move toward more efficient CPUs. I believe GPU engineers will follow the same path soon. I think we have seen the peak of consumer PC power consumption with Intel Prescott. From this point on I believe that power consumption will stay roughly the same as it is now or maybe even start to drop.

Just my $0.02, though. I voted 2009+. :)

Aris

Post by Aris » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:07 pm

i dont think it will ever happen. shit even DC/DC converters that take a single voltage and turn it into the required volteges for ATX components are only 95%, and theirs no way an AC/DC conversion is ever going to be more effecient than a DC/DC conversion.

powersupplies have been around for a long long time. close to 100 years people have been changing the AC voltages into usable DC voltages for electronic uses. its not like its some new found technology that you can improve.

i think 90% is probably the BEST you can ever dream of, and that would probably only happen on 240v AC. so i doubt we'll ever see it in the US unless the entire power infastructure were to change.

rather i think people should focus their attention on making electronics require less and less power. the difference between 90% and 100% when a computer only draws 100w total is next to nothing. the better question would be "when do you think a top of the line gamming rig will only require 100watts"

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:33 pm

When solar power becomes widespread and PC's only need DC-DC power supplies.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:52 am

There are really two questions here:

1) Is it electrically/phsically possible for computer power supplies, which have to supply multiple different voltages and loads, to near 100% efficiency?

2) Would it be economically profitable for PSU manufacturers to make these high-efficiency PSU's, given that they will likely require more expensive components and cost more for R&D?

Some tranformers can reach an efficiency of up to 99.75%; I don't know about the rest of the components in a typical PSU.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 am

- Achieving 100% Efficiency (or close to)
- When do you think a 90+ efficient power supply will be come to everyday consumers?
- When do you think a 90%+ efficient power supply will be achieved?

your topic, pool question and your post are not about the same thing. :roll: