anyone able to find a 200+W ac/dc brick adapter?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bbzidane

anyone able to find a 200+W ac/dc brick adapter?

Post by bbzidane » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 pm

just wondering, after searching about the pw200m dc-dc psu, there seems to be a number of users interested in using one
so to use it to its maximum capacity, it would only naturally require a equivalently rated ac-dc brick adapter

so has anyone bought a 200+w ac-dc brick adapter?
or even know where one is able to purchase one?

thanks

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Aris wrote:ok more detail. (mabey more than you want) :wink:

i remember finding out who made the SD11G5's external AC/DC adapter back before it was even released. i forget exactly how, i think it had somthin to do with the model number or serial number or somthin. i posted a thread about it but no one seemed interested in an external 220w AC/DC adapter that was completely passive. (I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!?!?) specially considering most people on this forum will tell you that 300watts is more than enough for MOST systems.

heres the manufacturers website for it:

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/ps/adap ... d=2&ptid=3

now delta doesnt sell to end users. they sell to company's that use their products with their retail products that they sell to us. so you wont find any delta badged versions around unless someone got their hands on a sample directly from delta somehow. i called them, they wouldnt give me a sample for review or let me buy one either.

at that point i sorta gave up, specially after the thread had little to no interest. at the time i wasnt really all that serious about using it either, but i later changed my mind when i learned more about mini-itx systems.

so a couple of months ago i'm researching information about a micro-atx system im building when i stumble across a mini-itx site. they had some internal 12v DC/DC ATX psu's that ran completely passive up to 200watts. but they needed an external 12v AC/DC adapter to make them work. and i soon found out that the largest passive one anyone could find was around 120watts. then i remembered about the SD11G5's 220watt psu adapter, and started digging.

i soon found out that shuttle wasnt the only one using this adapter. dell, and i think gateway were also. others may as well but i didnt dig that deep. i found them by plugging in the model number of the delta unit, and then partials of the delta model number.

i think i actually found delta's 180w version first.
GATEWAY Profile 5 AC Power Adapter 6500735 ADP 180AB

dug a little more and ultimatly found out dell uses the 220w version.
DELL SX270 AC ADAPTER DA 1 Y2515 ADP 220W

you can get a 12v 200w dc/dc atx psu from www.mini-box.com
From this thread.

Cliffnotes: Search for Y2515 on eBay -- it'll bring up 220w Delta AC adapters for $45 shipped Buy-It-Now. :)

Keep in mind that although these are 12V out and compatible with the PW-200M, the connectors don't match up, so you have to do some cutting/soldering or find an adapter to make them work together.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:46 pm

You know, if you are going to ask "Where to buy?" questions, then it is helpfull to put your location into your profile.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:18 am

thanks for the info
i actually read that thread, guess not carefully enough

i have added my location to my profile
i tend to be lazy when entering in my profile
=)

colink7

DELL SX270 AC ADAPTER DA 1 Y2515 ADP 220W

Post by colink7 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:01 pm

Just purchased one of these from PowerStream for use with a PW200 V but having trouble pulling power from it - checked it with a voltmeter but only seeing about 8VDC b/w P5 and ground (all the other V0 pins are dead) - P5 is designated Remote which apparently allows it to monitor the voltage at the destination but at this point I'm already over my head. Anyone know how to get this thing to give me 12VDC?

Aris

Re: DELL SX270 AC ADAPTER DA 1 Y2515 ADP 220W

Post by Aris » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:00 am

colink7 wrote:Just purchased one of these from PowerStream for use with a PW200 V but having trouble pulling power from it - checked it with a voltmeter but only seeing about 8VDC b/w P5 and ground (all the other V0 pins are dead) - P5 is designated Remote which apparently allows it to monitor the voltage at the destination but at this point I'm already over my head. Anyone know how to get this thing to give me 12VDC?
go and read the thread frostedflakes linked to and read the entire thing. it goes into great detail about how to make this PSU work. Frostedflakes even has a "how to" post on exactly how to get the PSU to output the proper voltages.

davieboynj

available 12v 200w power supplies

Post by davieboynj » Thu May 31, 2007 1:44 pm

I ordered an xbox 360 power supply. only $35 shipped from where i got it. I can't imagine anyone would make a more robust power supply than microsoft.

I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: didn't realize this topic is so old as i was in search... hope somebody cares. :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu May 31, 2007 4:36 pm

That XBox power supply is very questionable. Do a Google search on it and there are plenty of horror stories. My 180w psu from Radio Shack has been working fine for over a year. It has a fan.....but has never gotten hot enough to turn it on.

davieboynj

Post by davieboynj » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:13 am

I think it's one of those things where so many were sold, that if only 500 people complain about it, it's probably pretty good. I doubt the % of bad ones is anywhere near as high is it would seem.

Unless you're referring to something specific... :?

I got it yesterday and it seems pretty good. it's a long narrow brick, which is nice. I hate to butcher the cord, but i don't think i'll ever find a female 360 power connector, save taking it out of an xbox 360... I have a couple days 'til my 200 watt DC-DC comes in, so i'll look 'til then. I hate to butcher it in favor of a molex. also have to decide whether to leave the supply constant on, or use some sort of low voltage relay to connect the blue to red (pwr enable to 5v standby).

Bluefront wrote:That XBox power supply is very questionable. Do a Google search on it and there are plenty of horror stories. My 180w psu from Radio Shack has been working fine for over a year. It has a fan.....but has never gotten hot enough to turn it on.

Sumta

Post by Sumta » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:09 pm

davieboynj wrote: I got it yesterday and it seems pretty good. it's a long narrow brick, which is nice. I hate to butcher the cord, but i don't think i'll ever find a female 360 power connector, save taking it out of an xbox 360... I have a couple days 'til my 200 watt DC-DC comes in, so i'll look 'til then. I hate to butcher it in favor of a molex. also have to decide whether to leave the supply constant on, or use some sort of low voltage relay to connect the blue to red (pwr enable to 5v standby).
If you get it to work would you post some specifics about the hows and wherefores? My PW-200-M is on the way and the multimeter is waiting with bated breath. So to speak. I was planning to butcher the cord.

davieboynj

Post by davieboynj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:02 pm

bluefront was right.

one of the following must be true:

1) It isn't really 203w
2) It's set to turn off instantly if the current draw on the other end is different than that of a x360
3) Mine is defective.

If anyone has any tests they's like me to perform that don't require anything other than a multimeter, i'd be happy to do it, but as for me, i'm back in the hunt for a usable 200w external.

I certainly wouldn't butcher the cord, unless you are absolutely sure it will work. you can see what i did (complete overkill) to test the cord before the butchery here: viewtopic.php?p=345764

-dave
Last edited by davieboynj on Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davieboynj

Post by davieboynj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:06 pm

one more thing, there's a slot at the top of the power supply. to enable it, all you need do is shove something metal up in there to connect the two leads. do it before you plug it in, because it's easy to short the +5v standby while doing so.

it's unfortunately the inverse of a normal power supply (the turn on lead is a ground that needs to be connected to sb5v), so it's not easy to tie in with your mb's turn on lead, or at least not that i'm comfortable trying.

and the fan actually isn't very quiet.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Too bad about that power supply. :( I'm convinced those brick-type power supplies run hot simply because of poor airflow. That power supply from radio shack is a simple metal box with intake vents on the sides, and a little fan on the rear. There is plenty of room inside the thing, along with decent sized heatsinks. I've never heard the fan turn on in either unit I have, so I cannot comment on it's noise level.

charonme

i'm looking for a powerful 12V ac/dc for the PW-200-V too

Post by charonme » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:46 am

i am also looking for one, but I live in central europe :( and can't shop on (european) ebay sites :(

chinna_n

Post by chinna_n » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:01 am

Bluefront wrote:Too bad about that power supply. :( I'm convinced those brick-type power supplies run hot simply because of poor airflow. That power supply from radio shack is a simple metal box with intake vents on the sides, and a little fan on the rear. There is plenty of room inside the thing, along with decent sized heatsinks. I've never heard the fan turn on in either unit I have, so I cannot comment on it's noise level.
If I remember correctly, these RadioShack powersupplies are intended to replace battery/alternator and give 13.2v DC rather than 12v DC. Also these typically does not have precise voltage regulators like typical SMPS. So output voltage may verywell change as mains voltage fluctucates.

What is your experience? Do you find the output voltage is proper 12V and well regulated.?

I saw some medical equipment powersupplies with 12v 10 Amp to 18Amps rating with one or two rails. And most of these have voltage adjustment(+-10%) too. These are fitted with good heatsinks and generally enclosed in a modders mesh with excellent airflow.

Here is one example on eBay (this is 10AMP version)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0077527842

EDIT: added 20Amp version( this has small heatsink in the back, look like no fan)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0077527502

I saw these in a local electrical/video parts shop with rating upto 18Amps, but in the shop here the 18Amp rated was around $75 at that time.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:00 pm

The 15A Radio Shack unit puts out 13.7V.....has no internal voltage adjustment, but seems to be well regulated. I'm using one with a M-200 Pico model, and the other is powering a 120W PICO. The regulation seems to be very good. I see no fluctuation in the output at all. I've had no problems with either unit.

The second RS power supply I bought was out of spec....it was running 14.2V. I exchanged it as soon as I put a meter on the thing.

davieboynj

Post by davieboynj » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:41 am

Bluefront wrote:The 15A Radio Shack unit puts out 13.7V.....has no internal voltage adjustment, but seems to be well regulated. I'm using one with a M-200 Pico model, and the other is powering a 120W PICO. The regulation seems to be very good. I see no fluctuation in the output at all. I've had no problems with either unit.

The second RS power supply I bought was out of spec....it was running 14.2V. I exchanged it as soon as I put a meter on the thing.
I'd definitely want to be running a wide input picopsu with that thing!

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:25 pm

i found the "mCubed HFX Mini External PSU 165W EF16" which seems to have a connector that would match. Don't know what it's volt and amp output is though. And it's quite costly, and haven't found it anywhere in north america.