Fortron Bluestorm + epox 9nda3j - does not want to start

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DyJohnnY

Fortron Bluestorm + epox 9nda3j - does not want to start

Post by DyJohnnY » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:22 am

hey everyone, i have a problem with my computer, and i've been reading the stuff about pc's not starting up in this section, but none of the suggestions here seems to solve my problem.

my system:
Fortron bluestorm 400W [not quite 400W, some 385 i think] PSU with a 24 pin connector
Epox 9nda3j nforce3 ultra with a 20 pin connector
i mentioned the number of pins maybe u spot some problem regarding that, i have the adaptor, and common sense tells me it should not matter. if it has 24 instead of 20.

Here's the thing:
regardless of the load i put on my PSU, the pc does not want to start by simply pushing the power button. The psu starts for a little while, a split second, the leds on the board light up, so does the hdd, everything works for a split second, then turns off.when they are all off the power led on the case still stays lit.

I have also tried putting load on the 12V lone, a 6.8ohms 16W resistor - current reads 1.25amps when the psu is working, but that load does not seem to fix my problem, i still cannot get it to start.

the only way i can power up my PC is this:
-turn off PSU from its own switch.
-push power button on the MB and hold
-turn of PSU from its own switch
-release power button
this way i can start my PC flawlessly, every time without a hitch.

I have tried another psu on the motherboard, a generic 450W psu, WORKS without the workaround, works everytime.

I tried to start the fotron manually, green- black pins short - psu starts up normally.

What do you guys think i should do? add more load on other lines?

just so you know, i contacted the shop where i bought the board from:
their response
"It seems u have a compatibility issue between the Mb and the PSU, and since u did not buy both of them from our store, we cannot take the mohterboard for servicing, between our warranty does not cover incompatibility issues with other products, u were only covered if the psu was also bought from our store." - in other words i'm stuck with the mb, unless i stumble upon a crap psu that i might buy from them that does not work with the board.

i am yet to talk to the PSU people, but i somehow expect the same response from them, i am convinced they willl get the psu to work on more of their systems.

I will contact them in the next days, and just in case i'm stuck with this problem, and no one is willing to RMA any of the parts....does anyone have a clue how to troubleshoot this?

I have thought of something, that is definately not a normal solution to a problem but might be just the fix. take a 2 wires and attach them to the green black pins on the PSU cable, hook up a switch on the other end[like on an AT case] and start the PSu that way. As long as i have the switch in one position it will be on [and in the other the psu will turn off.
I'm not sure if the soft power button on the case might still be useful for turning off the psu, or might interfere in any way, but if no other solutions come up i might resort to it :(

Any advice is welcomed , except the weird solutions i'm out of things that i can throw at this problem :(

thnks for reading

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:39 am

Any advice is welcomed , except the weird solutions i'm out of things that i can throw at this problem
I don't know if this counts as a weird solution, but why don't you mod the generic 450W psu that works to make it quiet and then use that instead?

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:49 am

well it has low efficiency, it has tiny cables, it has few cables actually, and i doubt i could trust it to power my system for long load periods when i'm folding and or gaming.

as for an update, i performed the PSU green black switch, and my computer is running, it is starting, only problem is i will probably not have soft off functions at all, and i'm guessing some weird behaviour on shutdown. still i'd like to get to the bottom of this twilight scenario.