Help w/ air flow noise

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Help w/ air flow noise

Post by IceFire » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:07 am

Will, I hacked up my cheap PS this past weekend so it is much quieter. I put in a MNB (?) fan that I heard about from the hot deal forum and some fan isolators from SA. There is no fan noise and fan vibration that I can heard, however, the air flow noise it apparent. I have already cut the fan grill out and cut out a nice big hold (3 to 4 times) at the back. I also covered up so vents at the bottom to reduce tubulance and direct the airflow to where it needs it the most.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the airflow noise besides getting a new ps.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:27 pm

Mount the fan on the outside of the power supply.

Attach the fan with the isolators, then attach a finger guard to the fan with those self-tapping fan screws. Run the fan wires through any convenient hole in your case, and connect as you would any other fan.

jhh

Post by jhh » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:16 pm

well it's a bit extreme, but I've modded mine to draw it's own air supply from the back of the case and expell it to the top, taking in cool air lets the fan run much slower, rather than the PSU trying to cool itself with warm air.

of course, you'd need extra case fans to expell the warm air from the case, but they too can be ran nice and slow and quiet.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:14 pm

Thank you! I think I will try what Riffer suggested first since it is the easies of the two. :P

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: Help w/ air flow noise

Post by powergyoza » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:42 pm

IceFire wrote:Is there anything I can do to reduce the airflow noise besides getting a new ps.
Yeah, besides moving the fan to the outside you could undervolt the fan. I built my own thermal control circuit in this thread and put the PSU fan on the outside in this thread.

Another method would be to use the PSU fan as an intake on the inside of the case. That would push the noise source further inside where the case can act as a muffler. It's talked about here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=2189