Seasonic - too many wires - what to do?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

antonm

Seasonic - too many wires - what to do?

Post by antonm » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:32 am

Just got a Seasonic S12-430 and I'm dreading the rat's nest situation I got now with so many leads/wires I'm not using. I'm building a minimalist system. Any suggestions on what to do with all the extra wires (besides tucking them away), can they be cut off and taped? Or can i molex some connectors on the wires I want off close to the PS box, in case I would need them later? Is this feasible? BTW, I don't care about the warranty voiding.

Thanks!

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:38 am

you can just cut the wires you dont need. just make sure you insulate the ends of the wires somehow so theirs no possible way to have them short to the chassis, or a randome piece of electronics or somthin.

BigA

Post by BigA » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:44 am

You might check to see if the unused wires can be bundled up and jammed between the PSU and the case.

If you do decide to cut the wires, you will want to unplug the PSU before cutting (this is obvious, but perhaps bears repeating). As for cutting, you may wish to cut them at slightly different lengths at some distance from the PSU. This provides two advantages:
* As the cuts are staggered, tape will also be staggered. This would avoid creation of a lump in your wire bundle.
* Cutting some distance away from the PSU provides you with the future option of splicing the wires back if you decide you need one or more of these lines in the future. You would also want to label the lines you cut to facilitate future reattachment.

antonm

Post by antonm » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably cut them (yes I was also thinking of the staggering cut). Bundeling them looks nasty as i have a case with PSU on bottom AND reversed MOBO, so the lenth of cable I need is in fact very short. The cables on the new Seasonic 430 are indeed very long and sleeved.

GOATMAN!!!

Post by GOATMAN!!! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:51 pm

If you don't care about the warranty, personally, I would open the thing up and unsolder the wires I didn't want. I would find it easier to solder them back in than put new plugs back on the end if you ever did want to get the wires back.