New Silverstone PSU - 750W - 60A on 12V line?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

New Silverstone PSU - 750W - 60A on 12V line?

Post by jmke » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:30 am

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-75zf.htm

Would be interesting to see a review of it @ SPCR

krille

Re: New Silverstone PSU - 750W - 60A on 12V line?

Post by krille » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 am

jmke wrote:http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-75zf.htm

Would be interesting to see a review of it @ SPCR
Silverstone usually have weird cross-loading schemes for their PSUs so you may want to stay a bit cautious when dealing with them.

For more info about this check this very interesting article over at ExtremeTech:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 957,00.asp

They do claim however in the same article above that their upcoming ST75ZF and ST85ZF models will have fixed this issue, one (ST75ZF) of which you link to. But I still wouldn't play the guinea pig.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:27 am

Four 12V rails with a minimum load of 0.8A for two of them and 0.5A for two of them, how would that work?

From what I understand, this must mean that you have to load something off each individual rail, which means you would have to have a quite damanding system and lots of peripherials lik HDDs, 2 Video cards etc.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Re: New Silverstone PSU - 750W - 60A on 12V line?

Post by SST Guy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:40 am

krille wrote:Silverstone usually have weird cross-loading schemes for their PSUs so you may want to stay a bit cautious when dealing with them.

For more info about this check this very interesting article over at ExtremeTech:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 957,00.asp

They do claim however in the same article above that their upcoming ST75ZF and ST85ZF models will have fixed this issue, one (ST75ZF) of which you link to. But I still wouldn't play the guinea pig.
There are actually a lot more PSUs on the market with cross-loading requirement than many people realize. I don't think it is fair to pin Silverstone as "usually" having weird cross-loading schemes when we are one of the few companies to openly disclose this information (feels like we were punished for being honest!). :(

The only PSU we felt that had a large cross-loading requirement was the ST65ZF released in January 2005, but this was revised in the summer of 2005 so it will no longer require load balancing between +5V and +12V rails to operate optimally.

The ST75ZF and ST85ZF are not "fixed," they are designed from the groud up to have no cross-loading requirements whatsoever so you can have zero load on any rails without any problems.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion!

krille

Post by krille » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:20 am

Now I'm feeling really bad about myself. :oops:

And yeah, it does clear up some of the confusion. It's a really good thing you are open about it, more manufacturers should follow your example - so for all that's holy don't stop! Especially as you (obviously) participate in the SPCR community and thus also contribute to and cooperate with the whole Silent PC community (directly or indirectly). A big plus if I may say it myself!

However I wasn't aware the issue was already resolved (by separating the PCI-E connectors between different rails?). I think you should ask ExtremeTech (or was it AMD?) to (re)test a new sample from your current "fixed" product lines, update their article (add a Postscript a la SPCR?) and thereby clear your name of this leave this episode behind once and for all. That very article is still being referred to a lot on other forums you know. It would certainly be worth the investment I think. ;)

Sorry again... just thought it'd be fair and helpful to provide whatever information on the subject I was aware of. I don't have any personal experiences with Silverstone PSU:s though, so maybe I was a little too prejudiced.

Nonetheless I actually am using one of your products, the PPO2 Power supply acoustic cover, with excellent results so far on all my stationary computers in use (four to be exact)! So to be honest, all my first-person experiences with SilverStone are superb. :D

Hope that clears it up a bit more. And thanks again for being represented on this forum, I wish more companies were. I wasn't aware of this until just now but I'll definitely keep this in mind in the future, sorry.

~ Kris

PS. Considering your current roll, by nature I can't expect a completely neutral answer. But be that as it may you still mentioned other brands had complicated cross-loading schematics as well, but they supposedly weren't as keen on letting this out to the rest of the world. Would you happen to know if this includes or excludes Seasonic's S12-series? More exactly their Seasonic S12-430 and S12-600 models (that I am currently using)? Thanks. DS.

Raja

Post by Raja » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi,

I having a hard time understanding the power ratings for most of the psu's that are stated as 750watts.

With the Silverstone we have 4 rails stated @ 18 amps each.

that would equal 864 watts,

underneath the rail spec it then states that the max draw is 60 amps accross the 12v rail, which would equal 15 amps each. Although it seems like overkill, I have found that these peak current demands are actually made by heavily loaded psu's.

can someone please clarify this??

Raja

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

Each single 12V rail can provide 18A but during simultaneous load on all the 12V rails 60A are the max power the PSU can deliver on those rails, e.g. 18A+16A+14A+12A. Look at the 3.3V and 5V rail specs, it's the same, even though the specs indicate 230W, the max combined power are 180W.

Btw, read this sticky for more clarification.

Raja

Post by Raja » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

does anyone have any idea what rails the 1100 w Tagan can provide, the pdf on their site does not work for me..

Regards
Raja

krille

Post by krille » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:00 am

Raja wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

does anyone have any idea what rails the 1100 w Tagan can provide, the pdf on their site does not work for me..

Regards
Raja
There's another thread about the 1100w Tagan here. To summarize, we don't know very much about it at all. ;)

Your best bet is to wait for reviews...

Good luck!

~ Kris

krille

Post by krille » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:23 am

Please, help the cause by requesting that Tagan sends SPCR a sample or three to review. I just did. I used this European sales e-mail: [email protected] however there are many more e-mails listed here:
http://www.tagan.com/pages/home/e_contact.html

Thanks!

~ Kris

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:33 am

SPCR is not in Europe ;)

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:34 am

Nevertheless, there are still silent computer freaks "over here" ;)

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:44 am

I never said there weren't, but should not write Tagan EU for samples to Canada:)

krille

Post by krille » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:49 pm

jmke wrote:SPCR is not in Europe ;)
Not, but I am.
Ackelind wrote:Nevertheless, there are still silent computer freaks "over here" ;)
Exactly.
jmke wrote:I never said there weren't, but should not write Tagan EU for samples to Canada:)
How about this, I write both EU and Canada = Everyone happy! :D

~ Kris

PS. You better pull your ass together and start writing too! DS.

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm in EU; who's DS?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:36 am

No offense, but why would we have any interest in testing an 1100W power supply? My gut instinct would be to refuse on the basis of promoting consumer awareness about actual power needs and not wanting to encourage high power consumption. As someone has already mentioned, there's next to no chance that a power supply capable of outputting 1100W will be even remotely quiet.

krille

Post by krille » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:50 am

Devonavar wrote:No offense, but why would we have any interest in testing an 1100W power supply? My gut instinct would be to refuse on the basis of promoting consumer awareness about actual power needs and not wanting to encourage high power consumption. As someone has already mentioned, there's next to no chance that a power supply capable of outputting 1100W will be even remotely quiet.
Not at 1100W. But maybe at 600W, 400W, 300W? That's the real question here.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:39 pm

krille wrote:However I wasn't aware the issue was already resolved (by separating the PCI-E connectors between different rails?). I think you should ask ExtremeTech (or was it AMD?) to (re)test a new sample from your current "fixed" product lines, update their article (add a Postscript a la SPCR?) and thereby clear your name of this leave this episode behind once and for all. That very article is still being referred to a lot on other forums you know. It would certainly be worth the investment I think. ;)
Actually, ExtremeTech has already proved that our cabling fix will work in the article because the editor did use a 4pin to 6pin PCI-E adapter for one of the cards and that solved the shut-down problem. The power supply itself can provide plenty of power, it is just a matter of getting the right cables to draw from the right rails.
krille wrote:Nonetheless I actually am using one of your products, the PPO2 Power supply acoustic cover, with excellent results so far on all my stationary computers in use (four to be exact)! So to be honest, all my first-person experiences with SilverStone are superb. :D
Thanks for the support! I am glad our product made a difference for you. :)

I am sorry I can't comment on specific brands, but most cross-loading requirements on lower wattage PSUs are very minor. So much so that it'd be impossible to create cross-loading issue when running in a PC. The only way that you could possibly find cross-loading problem is when you are running a dual PSU system where you power the motherboard/CPU with one PSU and all +12V components like VGA cards, fans off the other (no load on +5V).

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon May 01, 2006 3:30 am

I can't comment on specific brands, but most cross-loading requirements on lower wattage PSUs are very minor. So much so that it'd be impossible to create cross-loading issue when running in a PC.
That's reassuring to know. Thanks SST Guy, you're an asset to the forum. :wink:

kimandsally

Post by kimandsally » Tue May 02, 2006 11:31 am

krille wrote:Please, help the cause by requesting that Tagan sends SPCR a sample or three to review. I just did. I used this European sales e-mail: [email protected] however there are many more e-mails listed here:
http://www.tagan.com/pages/home/e_contact.html

Thanks!

~ Kris
I say I think you'll be lucky their support is virtually non existant, I have had many times in the past where I've used Tagen's in customers PC's that have failed and to get an e mail from them is like getting a birthday card from the Queen.

I won't swear but use the appropriate word that means loads of hassel and bother when they go wrong and as of now nearly 20% of the ones I've fitted have gone wrong.