Arrgghh!!! Whining NeoHE430

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Arrgghh!!! Whining NeoHE430

Post by nutball » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:45 pm

The NeoHE430 in my P150 has developed the irritating habit of randomly starting to whine. It doesn't seem to be correlated with the PSU ramping up (which barely ever happens, certainly not while I'm idling at ~100W) ... or anything else actually. Slowly slowly slowly the whine will build up -- it stops if I hit the case, or stick a cable-tie in the rear fan vent of the PSU. Other times it'll behave fine for days on end.

Anyone else experienced this?

I've been a bit 50-50 on the NeoHE since I got it -- it's a bit loud for my tastes. OK the fan is smooth, but it's still very audible. I'm pondering replacing it with a bottom-feeder, see if I can cool my GPU + CPU + PSU with a single 120mm fan in a duct.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:50 am

it stops if I hit the case
:lol: That old tried and tested technical problem-solving technique.

I would definitely say if you're not happy with the Neo HE, go for something with a 120mm fan, it just seems more trouble than it's worth.

kabanan

Re: Arrgghh!!! Whining NeoHE430

Post by kabanan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:55 am

nutball wrote:Anyone else experienced this?.
My Antec Truepower 2 does the same thing. Although it seems to whine more under load. But not always, only randomly.

Haven't tried the "hitting the case" solution. I have had coils whining on a motherboard once, but when I moved the whining stopped. Must have been really bad ac-current.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:30 am

I've heard three 430 NeoHE's and they're definitely the quietest 80mm fanned PSUs I've ever heard, and none of them sounded/behaved the way yours does. I'd suggest that your fan is defective/damaged and that you should contact Antec to RMA it.