Power Supplies with "Fan Only" connectors

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Ezin

Power Supplies with "Fan Only" connectors

Post by Ezin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 am

The power supply in my Sonata seems to be failing (won't boot up for several hours after I move the pc/unplug it).

I was looking at the Neo HE430 as a replacement but it doesn't appear to have the "Fan Only" connectors that the psu that came with my sonata has. Since that case fan is the loudest component in my pc (if plugged into a regular connector) that's a bit problematic.

So does the Neo HE430 or any other power supply support these connectors? Or perhaps they're just not labeled as such and come with all power supplies?

I suppose I can always get the same power supply that came with the case worst case (True 380 or something).

Thanks

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:44 am

These "fan only" connectors are more common on Antec PSUs....they usually run at the same voltage that the PSU fan is recieving. This is not always the best solution for controling fan speed.

IMHO.....I'd perfer to buy the best PSU I could find/afford, and depend on some other sort of controller to handle the other fans in my case.

Ezin

Post by Ezin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:08 am

I wasn't aware there were controllers to manage the case fan, especially given the 4 pin connector that this one uses. Any suggestions on where to find such a thing?

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:11 am

Fan Only connectors are on TruePower PSU's (all versions) and I believe the Neo 480 (non HE).

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 am

I simply have an adapter to go from 4 pin molex to 3 pins so I can control my case fan with a fan-mate or motherboard headers. I think I saw jab-tech carries them, among others.

Ezin

Post by Ezin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:46 pm

I think I'm going to have to go for simplicity and get the truepower 430 as the replacement (the NeoPower 480 does list "fan only" connectors but seems to be louder than the truepower).

Thanks for all the info.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:31 am

I've had two Truepower 330 failures . One also took out the MB. I have a low opinion of Antec PSUs of course. Nice thing though.....when they fail, you can cut off the monster long wires, and use them for nice extensions to good Fortron PSUs..... :lol:

meehawl

Fortron Dead

Post by meehawl » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Bluefront wrote:I've had two Truepower 330 failures . One also took out the MB. I have a low opinion of Antec PSUs of course. Nice thing though.....when they fail, you can cut off the monster long wires, and use them for nice extensions to good Fortron PSUs..... :lol:
My experience is the reverse of yours. My Fortron just died after a couple of years. I replaced it with a Truepower Trio 5xx.

One thing is bothering me - the case fans have not turned on at all running from the PS. Is there a minimum case temp threshold before it pushes current down that line, or do I have a dud?

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:47 am

Check the voltage you are getting at the fan only connectors. They may be running very low voltage of 4.5V or so. In that case they may not get enough voltage to turn on.