GameXstream 600W fan mod

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Mussels

GameXstream 600W fan mod

Post by Mussels » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Okay, so the PSU is great but the fan is noisy as hell. I put a Nexus 120mm in there a few months back at 10V and all was peachy until recently, when the following things changed...

A: i bought an x1900XT (over an x1800XL)
B: australian summer

so umm, the PSU overheated and my PC crashed a lot.

It (the nexus) is now at 12V, but i dont think it can keep the temps down enough. the Sytem is in an Antec P180 case, so there is a space limitation above and below the PSU so the fan has to be internal whence comes the next problem....

I was going to get a pana 120mm low and fit it in, but the bugger is 38mm thick. I need a 25mm i guess, and i only use pana and nexus.

Can people reccomend me fans that fit the following?

*120x25mm
*Is very quiet and/or silent (i have 7V and 10V adaptors, use of these is acceptable) while still moving 40CFM (reccomended by an OCZ rep)
*Is for sale in australia, or from somewhere that ships to australia cheap/fast.
*Will cost less than $50au

Thanks guys, this summer heat is killing me and my PC.... :(

Edit:
These any good? esp, the one with the VR
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod4242.htm
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod3653.htm

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 am

Scythe fans have a pretty good reputation around here, although I have never used one. I think nexus spins at 1000 rpm at 12V, sounds like you need something faster. Either of the scythe fans will work in that regard, however at 1600 rpm they will not be quiet. I would also consider Yate Loon, which spins at 1350 rpm.

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:41 pm

i'd love a yate loon, but you cant get them in aus.