Fortron power supply with 120mm fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu May 22, 2003 11:41 pm

Kostik,

is your PFC model noisy? I have PFC version as well and it's not silent.

regards,
Halcyon

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri May 23, 2003 12:01 am

halcyon wrote:is your PFC model noisy?
It is. When idle, I can hear it from a distance of two meters in my not-so-quiet room (and the computer is under my desk). When the fan speeds up I can hear it from anywhere in the room. Right now, it's the loudest part of my computer.

Don't get me wrong, it's quieter than any low-end PSU I've heard, but if like most people here you're on a quest for silence, it's not suitable. My advice to those who live in europe would be not to buy this PSU. I have not tried the seasonic 300w, but it's only 6€ more, and I think it's a better choice. I'll probably get one.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Fri May 23, 2003 12:45 am

any luck on a uk supplier of the non pf version? www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk are doing the pf version but want an astonishing £52 for it. i expect to be ripped off in the uk but not by quite that much.

anyway any one with any info please pass it this way.

cheers
mynci

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri May 23, 2003 12:54 am

Mynci : There's very little chance you can find one. PFC being required in europe, I think saling a non-pfc PSU would be illegal.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Fri May 23, 2003 1:01 am

really, i can get non pfc cheapo supplies with cases. if thats the case then its a real arse.

cheers for the input though.

offroad

Post by offroad » Fri May 23, 2003 4:26 am

Why are the PFC models so much noiser?

If I order the FSP300-60PN from NewEgg or the Sparkle FSP350-60PN from XPDirect will I definately get a NON-PFC model?

It would be shipped to USA.

Also what is the "Noise Killer" ??
New Egg's lists this as a feature on the 300W model.

Has anyone seen a review of either the 300W or 350W model?

Thanks.
Last edited by offroad on Fri May 23, 2003 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Fri May 23, 2003 4:37 am

It looks like making a PFC PSU has a cost, and they had to cut down on the quality of the components to ensure that the psu wasn't too expensive in europe. As PFC by itself doesn't affect the noise level of a PSU it's the only reason I can see.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 23, 2003 6:19 am

offroad,
Yes, Newegg and Xpdirect sell the non(PF) versions. Noise Killer is the name they call their technology to regulate the fan speed.

Liquidated

bah

Post by Liquidated » Fri May 23, 2003 11:14 am

ok used some spare modders mesh and isolators on mine.

the isolators were screaming "install me" while I slept.

oh and to get those isolators through the stock yate loon fan required a little dremeling to get rid of the plastic inbetween the flanges.

hmm think I voided the warrenty yet?

Cheers!
-Liq

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 23, 2003 12:05 pm

Where did you use the modders mesh?

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Fri May 23, 2003 12:16 pm

Liq - did you notice any difference with the isolators? I assume you mean those little blue rubber things (aka grommets?)... worth doing?

RDaneel

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sat May 24, 2003 3:03 am

Well I installed my 120mm Fortron yesterday and the PC's been folding all night and all morning. CPU temps are 2*F lower, Case temp is the same. All the Voltage rails are now within +/- 2% (the 12V rail reads 11.65V average under 100% CPU load.)
This PSU definately solved my stability problems that have been plaguing this system since I've been using the Antec PSU from the Sonata. After installing the Fortron, all problems are now fixed! :D
All this and silence as well! What a bonus!
The warm air coming from the back PSU vent is no warmer/colder than before but is MUCH quieter than the Antec.

I might try replacing the stock Yate-Loon fan with a JMC or Papst if I get the bug again but for now I'm going to enjoy the silence for a while.

I was initially concerned about the small size of the heatsinks inside the PSU but after seeing the performance of overnight folding (in silence) I'm hooked. I'm using this PSU in every system I build from now on unless the customer requests a specific brand (under protest). :lol:

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Sat May 24, 2003 3:35 am

I was seriously thinking of getting a sparkle FSP300-60PN(PF) from http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk

When i noticed this when reading the .pdf brochures of the FSP300-60ATV(PF)

(I realise its a different PSU but look)

Someone mentioned that a Passive PF parts costs more than a non-PF, if fortron did make cut backs on the Passive PF versions then they must have made em in two places.

It was mentioned in this thread that there PF version had a ball bearing fan, while others with non-PF had sleeve.
The fan control circuitry, I bet the linear control is cheaper than the 3 Stage, and take a look at the difference in noise the fan control circuitry can make on the same FSP300-60ATV(PF) PSU.

offroad

Post by offroad » Sat May 24, 2003 12:19 pm

Mr_Smartepants:

Which model did you get the 300 or 350watt?
Was yours a PF or non-PF?

Also thanks for your post and pics on your Sonata "Foamed" I just did an Antec 3700 based on your info. I am very pleased with the noise reduction.

Thanks for any additional comments about the 120mm Fortron in regards to noise.

Liquidated

hmm

Post by Liquidated » Sat May 24, 2003 5:56 pm

smarti got the 300 watt version of the non pf version, he mentioned it in a prior post

I got the 350 watt and it's the non pf version. Seems xpdirect is temporarily out of stock... how much you want to bet SPCR cleaned them out? =)

as for the modders mesh, was REALLY tempted to actually cut out the side vets and use the mesh there but so far just replaced that crappy wire fan grill with mesh.

didn't like how the wire grill was just there so......

still got more mesh so um, I need to NOT think about the psu in terms of that exhaust port.... you people are no help in resisting the urge to mod crap I've found!

as for the isolators I noticed no difference but I've not got the pc to test it under load. I have a bag of the isolators though and figured the dremel was feeling lonely. I mean it can't hurt unless your name is yate loon right?

currently on the table is trying not to look at that 120mm papst that's in the bubble wrap over there.

This psu is simply awesome stock but I can't leave well enough alone. No wonder digitalx was so keen on bad mouthing it, it's a threat to the after market jobs.

did I mention this site has really ruled my entire pc purchases? I mean from Case to psu this site and forum have changed 90% of my pc choices, You guys rock.

Cheers!
-Liq

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Sun May 25, 2003 1:23 am

Mr_Smartepants, if you are in Keflavik, Iceland (unless im really stupid, and i may be) thats in europe, where did you get a non pfc version? and how much was the shipping? as a reseller do you have a trade supplier?

the long at the short of it is that i want to offer a range of silent pc's to the shop i work so the psu needs to be silent stock and not of such a hideous prce as silenx and the like are asking. if it were fr me i would get a fortran like the silenx is based on and put in a low airflow fan, however i cant do that for these systems.

cheers
mynci

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sun May 25, 2003 4:05 am

Punkish. Even if the control is linear why would they put the starting point that much higher than the non-linear?

Oh well. I really need a new PSU and I'll have to settle with the PFC variant.

Those who find the PFC variant noisy.. is it because of the fan engine/construction/turbulence (possible fan-replacement would help), or because the airflow through the grill (other methods required)? Guess that depend on the type of case.. so please specify that too. :)

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Sun May 25, 2003 5:00 am

mynci wrote:Mr_Smartepants, if you are in Keflavik, Iceland (unless im really stupid, and i may be) thats in europe, where did you get a non pfc version?
Iceland is in europe, but I don't think it's part of the european union.
mynci wrote:the long at the short of it is that i want to offer a range of silent pc's to the shop i work so the psu needs to be silent stock and not of such a hideous prce as silenx and the like are asking.
PSUs sold in europe have to comply with the IEC/EN61000-3-2 standard, and that means they must have some sort of PFC. If you are running a business, you'd better not sell imported, non-pfc PSUs, cause I think that would be illegal. Now if you decide to sell some even so, and you can ship to France, let me know ;)
Yomat wrote:Those who find the PFC variant noisy.. is it because of the fan engine/construction/turbulence (possible fan-replacement would help), or because the airflow through the grill (other methods required)?
When you turn on the computer, there is an "airflow noise" that's not very loud, but is definitely noticeable in a quiet computer. After a few minutes, the fan speeds up and becomes loud. Not as loud as in a $15 PSU, but loud. It looks like the non-PFC version doesn't speed up under normal load, so the fan controler has to be different. As suggested by Storm, the controler may be linear in the pf version. Replacing the fan with a sleeve bearing one would probably help, but it would still not be as silent as the non-pf version is. I don't think the grills have anything to do with the noise, they are well designed and the exhaust grill is far away from the fan.

If I run a cpu cooler, the air entering the PSU is much cooler and the fan doesn't speed up. As I don't want to run a cpu cooler (we all know why), I guess I could make things better by ducting the cpu hs to the rear of the case, and replacing the PSUs fan with a Papst 4412. I'm currently testing my cpu temps with the fan sucking instead of blowing, and they seem good, so maybe i'll try it.
Last edited by Kostik on Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Sun May 25, 2003 5:35 am

cheers, i was under the impression that it was 'recommended' that all power supplies have the pfc rather than law. i have seen a lot of cheap units from many different places being sold with no obvious pfc (im thinking a bank of capacitors in addition to smoothing ones) and certainly no labelling to that effect.
is there a more expensive model that has the pfc and the good fan controller/fan? if not then thats very stupid of fsp.
(now im annoyed- i wanted a cheap quite psu)

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun May 25, 2003 7:19 am

mynci wrote:Mr_Smartepants, if you are in Keflavik, Iceland (unless im really stupid, and i may be) thats in europe, where did you get a non pfc version? and how much was the shipping? as a reseller do you have a trade supplier?
Sorry, I thought I'd explained (in another post somewhere). I am stationed in Iceland as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces. As a U.S. Military member, I have a U.S. Postal address that allows me to order stuff online from the U.S. and have it delivered as if I was living in the U.S.

Iceland is part of the EU, and most shops accept Euros but the national currency is the Kronur.

I ordered my Non-PFC 300W Fortron 120mm from Newegg.com and was part of a much larger order to save on s/h costs.
I am not a reseller. I just custom-build PCs for family/friends/co-workers. When I retire from the military in a few years, I plan to set up shop in England and build custom PCs for a living (while collecting a pension from Uncle Sam! :wink: )

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Sun May 25, 2003 7:57 am

mynci wrote:is there a more expensive model that has the pfc and the good fan controller/fan?
I only wish there was ! I wouldn't hesitate paying the extra € that such a unit would cost.
Mr_Smartepants wrote:Iceland is part of the EU, and most shops accept Euros but the national currency is the Kronur.
I'm not sure. It's part of the Schengen countries, but not of the EU i think. The european union is very confusing sometimes, but that's off-topic.

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sun May 25, 2003 8:46 am

Thanks for good input Kostik. :) Looks like one have to bypass the termistor and use a reostat or something else. Unless the PFC variant really do need that much more cooling. But from your description, I think not.

Mynci:
This has probably been posted in this thread or some other "Fortron 120mm"-thread. But this makes it easier to find:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/business/2 ... r_supplies

As you can see.. there is a control knob there. I would be surprised if it was for anything else but fan speed. :roll: Wonder which year this one will be available. :x

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Sun May 25, 2003 8:51 am

cheers Yomat, but surely that is just a manual speed controll for a psu that runs hotter and has a crappy fan (ie the pfc version). or is this model any better? surely its just the standard unit jazzed up with leds, or am i missing something.

cheers
mynci

larsrenne

Post by larsrenne » Mon May 26, 2003 1:11 am

Mynci: Kool 'n Quiet seem to be selling the Fortron FSP300-60PN(PF) for GBP £45 including VAT, if you're still looking. They also have the Seasonic SS-300-FS 300W ATX APFC for GBP £49.94, although their front page claims they have reduced the price to just GBP £41.50.

Digging around other UK vendors I found the QuietBits QB350-PFC from QuietBits. Apparently it's a Delta PSU pre-modified with a Panflo L1A and comes with 1 years warranty. They're selling it for GBP £35 including VAT. I've never seen any mention of this one before, has anybody tried it?

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Mon May 26, 2003 5:52 am

Mynci. I cant see how you can tell if its a bad or good fan? And why is a manual controller bad? Then you wont have a problem with a bad termistor controller anymore. You can regulate it yourself. Sorry.. but I cant see what you are missing :P

Besides.. thats just one example. There are others. I heard from my reseller that there are a variant with Papst fan that he might make available. No other info though.
[/i]

pingo

Post by pingo » Mon May 26, 2003 6:27 am

Yomat. Look at http://www.noisecontrol.de/info/infmenu_3.htm
they have the 350W model with the papst fan.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon May 26, 2003 6:33 am

Kostik,

you should really try the Seasonic SS-350FS. This is a 350 watt version of the Seasonic Active PFC model which should:

+ have the best fan controller available
+ have highest efficiency of APFC ATX PSUs available
+ be actually colder than the 300W model (according to a review I read)
+ has a rpm sensor for the PSU fan ( http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu ... pics.shtml )
- Unfortunately it only has a 80mm fan, but according to MikeC (of SilentPCReview) the design of the PSU is top notch and the PSU is very silent with a Panaflo L1A or M1A installed.

Unfortunately I've only been able to find it for sale in France at Yourland Micro. Actually they have the 300 and 400 W models in stock, but I'm guessing they could get the 350 model as well ( http://exceland.com/b/?page=shop/flypag ... ct_id=4445 ).
Maybe Kool 'n Quiet could supply it as well.

I'm trying to find a source that will sell it to Finland.

regards,
Halcyon

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 am

Halcyon,

I'm considering buying one. I'll just have to wait a few weeks, cause my girlfriend saw me installing a brand new PSU ten days ago, and even though she's not very computer savvy, she knows there's no component in a computer that has to be replaced once every two weeks :D

I didn't know the 350w version ran cooler than the 300w one, that's valuable information, thank you. I'll wait until Yourland has the SS-350FS.

When I buy mine, I can buy one for you and send it to Finland, if you don't care for the warranty, shipping cost, and sending money to someone you don't know :)

Vikroda

Post by Vikroda » Mon May 26, 2003 11:31 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:This PSU definately solved my stability problems that have been plaguing this system since I've been using the Antec PSU from the Sonata. After installing the Fortron, all problems are now fixed! :D
All this and silence as well! What a bonus!
The warm air coming from the back PSU vent is no warmer/colder than before but is MUCH quieter than the Antec.
I have to agree; I also HAD the Sonata. When I replaced the Antec PSU with the 300W Fortron from Newegg my stability problems also vanished. There is no question about it being quieter than the Sonata PSU.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue May 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Yeah.
I love the Sonata case.
I hate the stock PSU.

I'm begining to wonder if Antec had outsourced it's TP 380S manufacturing to another company and that's why these Sonata specific units aren't operating up to snuff?