Fortron power supply with 120mm fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

Post by modman » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:05 pm

Zhentar wrote:modman- wattage is volts* amps, som the fortron has 180 watts, and the enermax 264 watts..... which just goes to prove PSU sellers are lying like dogs.
I couldn't agree more.

I picked my PSUs based on 1) reliability and 2) airflow, with the mindset that 3) noise can be fixed with "the fan treatment".

There are a couple of PSU articles of interest at TH. I don't endorse them but a good read. This one and this one.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:05 am

modman wrote:
Zhentar wrote:modman- wattage is volts* amps, som the fortron has 180 watts, and the enermax 264 watts..... which just goes to prove PSU sellers are lying like dogs.
I couldn't agree more.

I picked my PSUs based on 1) reliability and 2) airflow, with the mindset that 3) noise can be fixed with "the fan treatment".

There are a couple of PSU articles of interest at TH. I don't endorse them but a good read. This one and this one.
The nice thing about the Fortron 300W is the over-current protection. The peak 12v amperage is 15A, which, according to the Intel spec, simply means that the PSU can push 15A for up to 17 seconds with not more than one occurrence per minute. However, the over-current protection circuit on the FSP300-PN doesn't kick in until 28A. Which is a lot of leeway, unless you are literally TRYING to induce overcurrent. Basically, you shouldn't ever see spontaneous reboots and such things with this PSU. If you do, then you have bigger problems than an under-powered system (like your energy bill).

Don't know what the specs are for the 350W version that I just bought, but I imagine that it can only be better.

sibach

My Sparkle FSP-350 Won't Even Start

Post by sibach » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:03 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had my terrible experience with the Sparkle. Mine won't even start on my computer. OCCASIONALLY, the fan will spin for half a second, but that is the only sign of life that I have ever seen comming from it. I'm on my second one, after sending the first back for a replacement unit. I've gone through all the usual tests of plugging and unplugging internal components from the power supply. Tech support is baffled, and so am I.

I have a new computer which runs great on my cheap, temporary and noisy 300W CompUSA power supply. I have a P4 on an Abit IS7 motherboard. I have a serial ATA Segate 7200.7 and an ATI all-in-Wonder video card.

Any ideas? Some mysterious incompatibility exists. I'm afraid I may need to turn to Seasonic.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:05 pm

Has anyone bought the Aurora Series version of this PSU from newegg yet? $55 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=FSP350%2D60PN&searchdepa=0&page=1

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:15 pm

Katana Man wrote:Has anyone bought the Aurora Series version of this PSU from newegg yet? $55 shipped.
Out of stock! Have you guys wiped out NewEgg's inventory already? It's only 1 hour since Katana Man's post :-)

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:43 pm

I think I saw somewhere that the Aurora has PFC? Anyone can confirm? I cant find anything on the sites. And what is the deal with these led-acrylic type fans? Are they any good?

I found it again. It was the tomshardware site that said the model number was: FSP350-60PN(PF). Hence the PFC.

WickedOC

Post by WickedOC » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:42 am

Newegg lists the 300 watt model as "P300XFPN" and says it has a 120mm ball bearing fan. Under the model number however it says FSP300-60PN and that is the model it shows in the pictures. I thought the FSP300-60PN had a sleeve bearing fan. Is this "P300XFPN" a new model with a ball bearing fan, or is newegg's description just wrong?

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:14 am

D@MN IT! I just bought the Sparkle variety at Coolcases for $58 plus shipping! I could have got this one for $55 FLAT!

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:58 am

jamoore9, for certain you received the quiet version of the Fortron. I've heard a rhumor that the Aurora version is not as quiet. We are waiting for a review or someone to report back to us about it.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:20 am

Yeah, after I cooled down I figured that that clear fan was probably not all that quiet. Thanks, though.

Kawboy

Post by Kawboy » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:40 pm

Well, I finally got my Sparkle FSP350-60PN installed shortly after switching my gear into the new Sonata case.

I yanked the whiny Intel HSF out at the same time and replaced it with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ heatsink modded to take an 80mm Panaflo L1A. The Panaflo is plugged directly into the motherboard to have its speed controlled by the Asus Q-Fan technology. The HML controller that came with the HSF is now running the 120mm case fan in the Sonata.

Impressions of the FSP350-60PN- bloody quiet fan running bone stock. 3.3v is dead on 3.30v, 5v is running 5.08, but 12v is running between 11.25 and 11.43 at idle, which seems a tad low. Vcore seems to be the same as on the Enermax- 1.6 at idle dippping to the specified 1.52v under load. PSU and CPU temps seem to be the same as with my modded Enermax (80mm fan removed and rear grill taped over), so it's moving the same amount of air even though being a bit quieter.

Exact quietness comparisons are tough because the HSF on my Ti4400 is now by far the loudest part of the computer. The rubber-mounted 'Cuda IVs are almost dead silent now- it's tough to hear them even with the case open, and might be a hair easier to hear with it shut for some reason.

I think I'm going to wait for a vidcard upgrade before going with something like the Zalman HP80A vidcard cooler, although the new Thermaltake Giant 2 heatpipe vidcard cooler looks pretty good after a 5v mod (or used to look good before I lost the link and forgot where I saw it...). Anyway, it was an active heatpipe with a loud fan that got quiet after a 5v mod and even beat out the Zalman by 2 degrees C when used passively. Googling it just turned up a bunch of German reviews which need to be translated.

OK, back on track. FSP350-60PN impressions. Hhhmmm, the only negative thing is maybe a slight whine. My ears ring a bit and the monitor has a bit of a whine so it's hard to tell, but I don't seem to have hit the really nasty FSP/Cuda whine that I've read about.

I don't think the upgrade was worth it over my modded 365 Enermax which was quite quiet and worked fine, but I'd buy one over the Enermax if I needed a PSU just for warranty and future reliability issues with the reduced airflow. I should've spent the dough on a Zalman HP80A and fan bracket I guess...

WickedOC

Post by WickedOC » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:15 pm

Hey if you want the 300watt version of this power supply (FSP300-60PN) with a nice case that has a lot of cooling options for not too much money, check this out:

http://www.directron.com/3051lb3a.html

Click on "upgrade power supply" and you'll find the Fortron FSP300-60PN with 12cm fan as an option for "+$4". Hence you get the case with the fortron supply for $59 + shipping.

I ordered this setup for my new rig. I like the fact that I can have a 120mm intake fan with the fortron exhaling 120mm. An 80mm side fan and a 80mm top blowhole, for which I'll be using those cheap/quiet NMB fans. The only negative for the case is the restricted back vents, but I'm not going to use those anyway. Now, where to find a really quiet 120mm for the intake?

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:37 pm

WickedOC wrote:Hey if you want the 300watt version of this power supply (FSP300-60PN) with a nice case that has a lot of cooling options for not too much money, check this out:

http://www.directron.com/3051lb3a.html
Unfortunately that case is not that appealing to me. Maybe they offer supply that with other cases.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:11 am

Popped my Sparkle FSP350-PN in last night. It's REALLY quiet. I thought my modded HEC-350LDt was quiet. It had a low CFM 80mm in the rear and a disabled 92mm on the underside. This is a LOT quieter than that was. And it hasn't effected my case or CPU temps at all. Which is wild, since I can BARELY feel air moving out of the rear of the thing. I guess its because the airflow is diffused over such a large area. Anyway, I'm really happy with this thing. I think my search is over.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:42 am

[quote="Katana Man"]Has anyone bought the Aurora Series version of this PSU from newegg yet? $55 shipped.
quote]

It's $69 now! I miss that one. Next time post it on the deals forum also. Thanks.

maarten

Re: Fortron power supply with 120mm fan

Post by maarten » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 am

Katana Man wrote:Note: The (PF) versions are much louder than the non PF versions. If looking for a quiet PSU, Do Not order the FSP300-60PN(PF) or FSP350-60PN(PF) versions.
Maybe a stupid question, but what's the difference between a PF version or a non PF version ?

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 am

maarten wrote:
Katana Man wrote:Note: The (PF) versions are much louder than the non PF versions. If looking for a quiet PSU, Do Not order the FSP300-60PN(PF) or FSP350-60PN(PF) versions.
Maybe a stupid question, but what's the difference between a PF version or a non PF version ?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =81&page=2

maarten

Post by maarten » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:59 am

So if I got it right: The NON-PF version uses more electricity and will result in a higher electric bill but will make less noise?

Isn't (active) PF obligated in Europe or does the AOpen version come in Non-PF too ?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:28 am

Pllease embed long URLs!!!!

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:39 pm

As others have previously indicated, the FSP350-60PN is an amazingly quiet PSU (especially considering that it costs ~$50). I just installed this in my new system (note to all folders, my Barton 2500 is now back to folding full time!) in place of the SilenX 14dBa 400W PSU (from SilenX.com) and I am not at all disappointed. Not only did I save money, but this PSU is almost as quiet as the SilenX (even quieter once I consider the intermittent high pitched whine that the SilenX emitted). Furthermore, at load (well, after 1/2 hr of folding anyway) my CPU temp. is ~5 deg. C. lower than it was with the SilenX (the Barton is presently cruising at a comfortable 40 deg. C.; ambient case temp. is 27 deg. C.; also, these temps are without any cable management, etc...). Those considering purchasing a more expensive "silent" PSU would be well served to consider this Fortron offering.

PS Given how quiet this PSU is in it's stock configuration, I am curious as to what modifications companies such as Zalman, SilenX, etc... will make to make it even quieter/more appealing (and how much more these changes will cost...)?

hellothere

Post by hellothere » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:44 am

does anyone know if coolcases or xpdirect are sellilng the PF or the Non-PF versions of this unit, as there seems to be a big difference? I emailed them both and so far coolcases has emailed me back saying that they do not know. i want to make sure i get the right one.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:52 am

They are both selling the non PF version.

hellothere

Post by hellothere » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:53 am

Thanks K-man, talk about a quick response :D

NeilBlanchard

Directron also has the Fortron for $30 + shipping

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:00 am

Hello:

Directron also has the 300watt Fortron for $30 + shipping:

http://www.directron.com/fsp30060pn.html

And NewEgg has 'em for $27 + $5 shipping = $32 total!

http://tinyurl.com/fcjm

Sweet. 8)

supastar
-- Vendor --

Post by supastar » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:28 am

Seems like I should put my two cents in. I am a reseller of PSUs in the UK. I can sell what I like so I sell what I test and think to be the best. I regard Antec as the best alround PSU - top of the shop. I also sell Seasonic, Fortron and HEC. Many specials are only manufacturer's base units with better fans. Why pay so much, say for the SilenX, when the base Fortron is so good and cheaper?

Power Factor correction is obligatory in the EU. I can't test non PFC models (because I can't buy them), but I don't see how PFC units can be noisier than non PFC units. Active power factor correction is best but more expensive, passive power factor correction is less good but cheaper. The key thing is to have some form of PFC.

I know of a 550W PSU that has less performance than a 300W competitor. I am shortly to publish a report on PSUs entitled, "Power Supplies Exposed". If you would like a copy, just e mail me and I'll send a copy when it is available.

techiecool

Post by techiecool » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:04 am

does the 300W version have the temperature control that the 350W claims it does?

NeilBlanchard

yes

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:28 am

Hello:
techiecool wrote:does the 300W version have the temperature control that the 350W claims it does?
The 300watt Fortron has an excellent thermal controller on the fan. It stays at the slowest speed all teh time on my systems.

Bat

Post by Bat » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:43 pm

supastar, no-one is suggesting that the PFC causes noise.
Rather, the PFC model of this unit is noisier than the corresponding non-PFC model. I remember reading (I think it was somewhere in this huge thread) that it's because they have different fans. Perhaps the PFC version has some cheaper components to partially offset to extra cost of the PFC circuitry.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:23 pm

it's established that the PFC versions are not silent.

But as there is nothing better in the uk is the FSP Aurora 300Watt ATX PSU (FSP300-60PN(PF)(B) sold herehttp://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/p ... eid=812832 be made as quiet as the non pf with the fan speed controler???

if not as long as the non pf versions are able to run on 240V i'll have some one in the states send me one.

cliche

Post by cliche » Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:36 pm

supastar wrote:Seems like I should put my two cents in. I am a reseller of PSUs in the UK. I can sell what I like so I sell what I test and think to be the best. I regard Antec as the best alround PSU - top of the shop. I also sell Seasonic, Fortron and HEC. Many specials are only manufacturer's base units with better fans. Why pay so much, say for the SilenX, when the base Fortron is so good and cheaper?

Power Factor correction is obligatory in the EU. I can't test non PFC models (because I can't buy them), but I don't see how PFC units can be noisier than non PFC units. Active power factor correction is best but more expensive, passive power factor correction is less good but cheaper. The key thing is to have some form of PFC.

I know of a 550W PSU that has less performance than a 300W competitor. I am shortly to publish a report on PSUs entitled, "Power Supplies Exposed". If you would like a copy, just e mail me and I'll send a copy when it is available.

Hello Supastar, we spoke earlier on the phone and ordered the 400 w Seasonic from you (Shuhel Ali). Good to see you finally on the forums.
I'm sure that Mike C and the rest of us will extend a warm welcome to you as a vendor :)