Fortron power supply with 120mm fan

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:59 am

Could someone tell me how it does compare to the nexus? If it is as quiet as a nexus and pushes more air then I would consider it to be a better power supply. Assuming the voltages are stable ect.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:37 am

I think that SPCR should defainately do a review on this PSU, and test it for noise levels. Especially since Fortron/Sparkle are known for their superb electronics.

I've never tried the Nexus myself, but honestly, I don't know how the Nexus could be any quieter. The Sparkle will be my new standard PSU from now on. I've got $70 Enermaxes just lying around, I will not be putting them to use in any of my computers :) I even have other Sparkles using 80mm fans. They will not be used either. Having this 120mm is just superb. I'm really excited about it.

snaimpally

Fortron 120mm vs 80mm

Post by snaimpally » Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:24 pm

The discussion on dbs not withstanding, has anyone compared the Fortron 120mm vs 80mm supplies head to head. I emailed Fortron in Fremont and here is what Danielle Choi, Fortron Sales Manager, had to say:
"FSP 300 60 BTV vs BNV ** BTV - vent cut outs are on top of the unit whereas BNV has the cut outs in the rear of the unit.
You may also look at the FSP300-60ATV which is a much quieter model."

The latter uses the 80mm fans while the BTV/BNV use 120mm fans so Fortron is saying the 80mm model is quieter. The ATV model has 'noise killer', which the temp controlled fan. I'm not sure about BTV and BNV.

Comments, thoughts?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:35 pm

well i would think there would be more turbulence in the 120mm one because it is blowing up and then making a 90deg turn. But again, it moves more air, thats something to consider.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:28 pm

Funny enough I was walking through the highstreet yesterday and guess what? I saw a 235W Fortron PSU with a 120mm fan in a local computer shop. I could walk the whole of London and not find a PSU made by Fortron with or without 120mm fan and secondly I was reading about the discussions about a similar PSU in the forums here. :shock: :shock: Weird!

I was intrigued to see how much it was, so I asked him. To my suprise it only cost £17.50 so I bought one just for spare and to see how quiet this thing would be. The only real difference between this one, and the picture shown at the start, the exhuast vents are more restrictive. Time for some cutting out later.

Model number is FSP235-60DPN

Really sorry but that's where the story ends, I have not had time to try it yet. As soon I do I will post you details about it. :D But from general observations the HS are tiny, probably tiny due to the massive fan (enough cfm). Man this 120mm fan got one hell of a centre hub, I have experienced 120mm fans before but never seen a centre hub this big. I don't even know if this thing is thermal controlled, can't find any info about this particular model. But if it's not, time to undervolt the thing!

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Re: Fortron 120mm vs 80mm

Post by Katana Man » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:35 pm

snaimpally wrote: I emailed Fortron in Fremont and here is what Danielle Choi, Fortron Sales Manager, had to say:
"FSP 300 60 BTV vs BNV ** BTV - vent cut outs are on top of the unit whereas BNV has the cut outs in the rear of the unit.
You may also look at the FSP300-60ATV which is a much quieter model."

The latter uses the 80mm fans while the BTV/BNV use 120mm fans so Fortron is saying the 80mm model is quieter. The ATV model has 'noise killer', which the temp controlled fan. I'm not sure about BTV and BNV.

Comments, thoughts?
I think your sales rep doesn't know what he's talking about :) Either that, or he's out of date with the latest models.

Not only does the new PSU (FSP300-60PN and FSP350-60PN) have a 120mm fan in it, but it also has 'noise killer'.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

BTW - how to decose FSP part numbers

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:35 am

Slightly bending the topic, but does anyone have a clue how to decode FSP part numbers? The total Wattage is OK, but the remainder does not follow any pattern I can see.

e.g. FSP350 in ATX12V size has -60PLN, -60PLT, -60PN, -60PN(PF) and -60BTP variants (according to the product catalogue @ www.fortron-source.com). The 300W has even more to offer (-60ATV, -60GTP, -60MD), but figure some of those could be really old/legacy. (I happen to have an FSP300-60BT(12V), whatever that may be?) And that Sales Manager refers to -60BTV and -60BNV which are not in the catalogue, and ez2remember found a -60DPN :?

If would have been nice if the -60 related to ATX12V (150*140*86mm), except they have FSP180-60SAV which is FlexATX. :?:

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:30 pm

Not fully answering your question, but at least one piece of the puzzle which has to with airflow through the power supply case:
http://www.sparklepower.com/nsupport.htm
If anybody wants to spend a couple days doing some analysis on all their model specs:
http://www.sparklepower.com/prodatx.htm#203

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:29 pm

Thanks Tom P. Except I give up already. Mostly an 'N' indicates Normal airflow (0 degress) and 'T' Top, except for the PN!!

Also got depressed to see the 350-60PN is rated (only) 65% efficient, and up to max temp 25C. Above 25C its max output should be reduced 2W/degree.

I really believe FSP make some of the best psus about but couldn't find the good news in a quick paper review. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

snaimpally

N is for Noise Killer

Post by snaimpally » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:03 pm

I think the N stands for Noise Killer - thermally controlled fan
Thanks for that link BTW which explains some of the other letters.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:43 pm

I have not done a proper test of this PSU I mentioned earlier, but initial impressions it is not as quiet as I would want. Don't get me wrong a lot of people will be happy with the noise level this thing produces, but my modded PSU with a decoupled Panaflo@7v and mounted on the outside of my chieftec PSU is definetely quieter. But this it's not a bad PSU, the fans is running at fairly low voltage, and it still pushes a nice stream of air.

Most people will be happy with this noise level. Note I tested it in free air for both the PSU. But the Fortron 120mm inside a case would make lesser noise than in free air, because the fan will be inside your case rather than at the back. So in a damped/non damped case it should produce less noise, personally I don't think this will be to the Nexus standard. :D

I am seeking for inaudible from 2 meters in the middle of the night, and this PSU will not do for me. Overall it is a quiet PSU especially compared to a generic PSU with it's stock fan. I think many would be happy with this noise level, but to me I am seeking that something more special, close to fanless. :D

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:50 pm

ez2remember,
Are you referring to the 235W version you found in London?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Katana Man wrote:ez2remember,
Are you referring to the 235W version you found in London?
Yes, I don't know how quiet your model is. But I find the 120mm fan even at low voltages do make low hum and a kind of choppy noise as it's cutting through the air, not as smooth as a Panaflo L1A 80mm. The L1A @ 5v or 7v is very quiet indeed, if I was just to compare the fans. :D

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:32 am

Yeah, your model must be designed different. The new model fan is so quiet, I can barely hear it. I am extremely pleased with it.

NeilBlanchard

I can confirm that it is a very quiet PS

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:15 am

Hello:

I can confirm that this PS is very quiet, though I am not able (yet) to run it under load. The fan is about as smooth and quiet as I've experienced. From just inches away, it is barely audible above the (semi-quiet) computer that is at least 9 feet away. The fans in the two units I have are labeled:

D12SM-12
12V 0.30A
Yate Loon Electronics

and on the side in the plastic frame:

Yate Loon
PBT-(GF20)

Is a 25mm thick 120mm diameter fan with 7 curved (swept forward) blades. As soon as I get my HS's and NMB case fans, I'll crank 'em up!

[Edit: I've been running them now for a few weeks, and they stay very quiet under load -- see my sig for the machine specs. The 18dBA NMB case fan seems a bit louder than this Fortron is! :D The sound is basically a "whoosh" -- it is very smooth sounding. The air coming out of the PS is warmer than the rear case fan's exhaust, but only a bit warmer.]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:00 am

I got my Fortran PSU yesterday and put it in my Evercase 4252. One thing you guys will want to be aware of if you're planning on using this combination is that the fan grill on the Fortran will have to be removed to get it in the case. Also, the very edge of the hole cut for the 120mm fan will be blocked ... not a big deal at all, but still something to consider.

I had planned on taking the grill off anyway. (My fingers may suffer the consequences at some point in the future.)

I'm waiting for my fans to get in before I move the motherboard over, but I'll report on the noise level once I get everything up and running (hopefully with pictures).

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:02 am

<clears throat> I mean Fortron.

We all know a Fortran PSU would probably not be Y2k compliant ... :wink:

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:57 am

Yep, we knew what you meant. Don't forget, there is an Edit button.

elamb

Fortron P300XFPN vs. PC Power and Cooling Silencer

Post by elamb » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:53 pm

I just swapped out my 1 year old PC Power and Cooling 275 watt Silencer PSU for a Fortron 300 watt with 120mm fan. I'm pleased to report that the Fortron is slightly quieter. In addition, my mobo temp has dropped by 1-2 oC. As some of you may recall from another thread, the Silencer produced a whine when my Baracuda IV was connected. The whine is significantly quieter with the Fortron. The Silencer sells for $64 (I think it was more when I bought it), and the Fortron is $32 at Newegg. I'd say that the Fortron is real steal! Thanks Katana Man for bringing this PSU to our attention.

Eric

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:12 pm

Hello David:
dgouldin wrote:I got my [Fortron] PSU yesterday and put it in my Evercase 4252. One thing you guys will want to be aware of if you're planning on using this combination is that the fan grill on the Fortran will have to be removed to get it in the case. Also, the very edge of the hole cut for the 120mm fan will be blocked ... not a big deal at all, but still something to consider.
I've got the same two pieces, and I just left the grill in place and when I screw it into place the outer arc of wire gets slightly bent upward. It works just fine as is. The biggest pain with this setup for me was that I had to pull the PS out in order to get the clip on my SVC GC68 HS onto the socket, and then work the PS back into place over the HS! The good thing is that the 120mm fan is right next to the HS! :wink: YMMV, depending on the placement of the socket on your motherboard!

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:05 am

Yeah I had to do exactly the same thing! It was only a nuisance though. Now that everything's installed and in place it works great. I decided the fan grill wasn't that important. I don't plan on messing around inside the case when the computer is on. Even with the close call on space there I think the combo of PSU and case kicks butt for a $60 investment.

NeilBlanchard

It really KICKS BUTT! :-)

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:36 pm

Hello David:
dgouldin wrote:...I think the combo of PSU and case kicks butt for a $60 investment.
(Emphasis is mine.)

You can say that again! You can think of it this way: you buy a really quiet and capable 300watt PS for the going rate -- and you get a well made, quiet, black case with 10 bays -- for free! :shock: :D 8)

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:28 pm

The next step would be if the fan could blow straight thru from front to back. Of course the height of the fan is taller than a ATX power supply, but I think this would help since it would remove the turning required in the current airflow.

Maybe I should make that mod, but I don't like the idea of fooling around with the PS. I don't want it to fry anything.

Old Dude

Post by Old Dude » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:38 pm

I don't know if this is off-topic but is the 350W model P4-ready or does it have the little square connector? What other connectors and how many does it have? I haven't seen anything about the connectors in the specs :evil:

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:27 am

Yes, it's got all the P4 connectors, plus all the typical connectors.

Jonestown

Post by Jonestown » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:45 am

I'm thinking about getting the 300w version of the Fortron psu. Does anyone know how the noise of this psu would compare to my antec 300w w/ 80mm L1A @ 7v? If the noise is the same, I would assume the 120mm would provide much better exhaust than my 80mm L1A

Also, with the 120mm Fortron, does the fan suck air into the psu and exhaust it out the back, or does the fan pull air through the psu and into the case.

Thanks,

Jonestown

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:52 am

It sucks air into the psu and exhausts it out the back.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:16 pm

dgouldin wrote: ....the very edge of the hole cut for the 120mm fan will be blocked ... .
I knew there had to be a catch. I will have to see if the hole in my Coolermaster is big enough for the 120mm fan.

Regardless, I doubt I will replace my PC Power & Cooling, but I may get a Fortron for experimental purposes and to use it for my bench PSU.

Anyone see these in Canada yet?

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:33 pm

Well I took the plunge and picked up the 350W 120mm from XPdirect based on the positive feedback here. It's defintely is quieter than my generic PSU modded with a Panaflo and moves more air more efficently since the intake is directly above my cpu. When comparing the two side by side I noticed my old unit emanating a electrical buzzing I had not previously noticed before Noisewise I can hear the fan making a soft clicking if I put my ear right up to the unit running outside my case. I may eventually put some isolators on the fan, but all in all this is a great quiet PSU for the price. :D

FYI:Resellerratings now has XPdirect listed so anyone who's ordered from them can now add their experiences.