Seaonic S12 430W vs. Antec Neo HE 430W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

LBadvance

Seaonic S12 430W vs. Antec Neo HE 430W

Post by LBadvance » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:49 am

Hello,

Which is the better in terms of noise and heat of the two PSU above? I know both are quiet. The seasonic is cheaper and has a 120mm fan ( a plus), but the Neo HE is modular (a big plus).

I have the Seasonic S12 380W driving my old system and its really good and quiet and cool. I am wondering how well the Antec Neo HE stacks up to it.

It will drive my new pc with the following specs,
E6400
2GB ram 667mhz
P965 mobo
(8800GTS possibly)

Thanks.

hulubei

Post by hulubei » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:52 am

They are almost the same. Actually, they use the same electronics.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:48 am

Both PSU's are very quiet with Seasonic being a bit quieter under normal power draws. The Seasonic is also a bit more efficient. If you have a high-power graphics card and a 3.5" hard disk, I don't think you'll notice any noise difference.

Both PSU's have been reviewed here at SPCR. You should find this link useful:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page5.html

Buddabing

Post by Buddabing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:16 am

I have both of these. Both supplies are very quiet, but I think the Seasonic is a tiny bit quieter. (Subjective judgement)

The airflow patterns are different on the two supplies. The Seasonic's airflow goes through the bottom and the Neo goes through the end. So if you are planning on ducting your PS's air intake, you might consider the NeoHE.

jjr

Post by jjr » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:44 am

Buddabing wrote:... So if you are planning on ducting your PS's air intake, you might consider the NeoHE.
Did you experiment that ?
I have long wondered if ducting in or even adding an intake fan can effectively remove some workload from the exhaust and allow it to run quieter.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:35 am

jjr wrote:
Buddabing wrote:... So if you are planning on ducting your PS's air intake, you might consider the NeoHE.
Did you experiment that ?
I've had the NeoHE in my P150 ducted for over a year now. It's never ramped up once, ever. I couldn't ask for a better PSU.

jjr

Post by jjr » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: I've had the NeoHE in my P150 ducted for over a year now. It's never ramped up once, ever. I couldn't ask for a better PSU.
Found the pics under General Galery / Staff rigs : interesting !!

I was thinking in a system with an affixed fan on the cabling side of the PSU. Something with clothing elastic in the grid to attach a fan and some rubber as a spacer to avoid direct contact. That would make another fan (more central in the PC and sheltered) do the job.
Maybe it is then not necessary to duct from outside, especially if the CPU is ducted out.